• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Saw this study on reddit today, once again people not really understanding the circumstances that lead people to ctb and think every case of ctb is preventable.

Maybe I am hopeless because my situation objectively isn't going to get better, imagine that.

MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
It does feel a bit tone deaf if you think of it this way. It also says its better to get intervention at younger age and it should last for 10 years for children at risk, but is it possible for to implement? There may be some who may benefit from this surely, but without financial back up and proper implementation, It'll be for naught.

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
It does feel a bit tone deaf if you think of it this way. It also says its better to get intervention at younger age and it should last for 10 years for children at risk, but is it possible for to implement? There may be some who may benefit from this surely, but without financial back up and proper implementation, It'll be for naught.
I got counseling at school from the ages of 9-11 I think because they identified I came from an abusive household. It made no difference for me because later on in secondary school I was just berated for having autism or having so many absences from school because I was ill. Can one truly change how children think and the paradigm of their world view enough to prevent devastation in the future? Or should they change the circumstances that allow broken, hurt children to fester into disparaged adults who end up ctb?

MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
It made no difference for me because later on in secondary school I was just berated for having autism or having so many absences from school because I was ill.
It really is more of a systemic problem and a lack of education for the masses in general. What's the point of of getting counseling when once you walk out the door, the people around you will treat you with contempt? I think their approach is too laser focus on the mental state of the child but never the outside world. Despite all of this, I think it can still help, but it's never 100% chance, especially if they don't follow thru it.

I'm sorry you had to experience that btw. I can't believe even when they've identified you had autism instead of being patient, they've blame you for it. I only got checked for it recently, and I thought early diagnosis would had help them understand. It's shitty to know that isn't always the case.

S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
I only see it getting worse. We're living in a world of declining resources and its becoming a one world cultural clusterfuck. The new age one world unity stuff blew up big in the 90s and a lot of youngsters are left without a cultural identity. I don't envy those coming of age now

A

Alnilam

Aug 29, 2022
They make the cost of living more expensive, houses unaffordable, shackle a ball weight of debt to our ankles over every rite of passage, leave us to act as a crutch for climate change and everything else they neglected, fail to address the mental health and work/life balance crisis, constantly shove in our faces how we're not good enough for simply existing and they wonder why young adults are offing themselves in despair? Ridiculous.

Last edited:
StolenLife

StolenLife

-
Sep 19, 2022
I mean... Social media fakeness, more and more young loners due to ever rising standards of beauty, success and popularity, prevalent loneliness and social awkwardness amongst zoomers and young millennials, the job market that keeps getting worse and worse, incoming climate change consequences, possible nuclear war, the shitstorm that was the period of 2020 to now... Gee if only someone could solve the mystery of why young people are killing themselves so much in this wonderful, carefree, safe time period with such a bright future ahead of them?/s
And it's just how the world is for the average person. Imagine people who have to deal with abuse, rape and severe trauma or a physical illness on top of that...

Last edited:
actual_fox

actual_fox

Arcanist
Sep 15, 2022
Op you baked a good bread. <3
(made a good thread)

I only see it getting worse. We're living in a world of declining resources and its becoming a one world cultural clusterfuck. The new age one world unity stuff blew up big in the 90s and a lot of youngsters are left without a cultural identity. I don't envy those coming of age now
Have you heard about peak oil? Imo this is one of the big reasons why life gets objectively harder and more competitive which drives many young people crazy- including me (not since I decided that I will preorder death)

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Can one truly change how children think and the paradigm of their world view enough to prevent devastation in the future? Or should they change the circumstances that allow broken, hurt children to fester into disparaged adults who end up ctb?
I don't think there is a way to make sure someone never falls into a desperate and devastated state of mind, no matter how much therapy you offer them. I've read the article and I'm still confused what kind of solution their "intervention" offers to the variety of problems they mention in their research. I think that counselling is nice and all, but oftentimes despair is a result of very real problems that need to be solved in order for the person to get better, and if we're talking about children they are often not in a position to take action and change their own lives and need actual, practical outside help and not just counselling. I must say that trying something is still better than doing nothing, and it is possible that they were able to help some people, so I appreciate what these people are trying to do. But I am not very hopeful regarding their potential of turning the situation around.

actual_fox

actual_fox

Arcanist
Sep 15, 2022
Gee if only someone could solve the mystery of why young people are killing themselves so much in this wonderful, carefree, safe time period with such a bright future ahead of them?/s
How can we tell that to our boomers who rule over young people and try to keep them in this system. Most of them are too comfortable and used to comfort that they do not see how badly person can feel If his future is very grim unless he decides to cheat and fuck people over or do his 200% norm which is just working to exhaustion and not living.

StolenLife

StolenLife

-
Sep 19, 2022
How can we tell that to our boomers who rule over young people and try to keep them in this system. Most of them are too comfortable and used to comfort that they do not see how badly person can feel If his future is very grim unless he decides to cheat and fuck people over or do his 200% norm which is just working to exhaustion and not living.

The boomers truly had it all. They were able to live out their youth without worries, afford college, get a safe well paying job and housing and retire early. And it still wasn't enough for them. They only thought of themselves and managed to screw over the next five or so generations as well as the damn planet they inhabit. Given how many of them show narcissistic tendencies and how many inflicted abuse and trauma on their children or didn't even bother to teach them how to navigate the world, it's no suprise that the youth is confused and lost. And yet when one tells them these facts, all they can offer is generic live-laugh-love bs and advice on yoga. Truly the most selfish generation in modern times.
P.S. I know that not an entire generation is like that but sadly a lot of them are. I'll admit I might be biased and projecting since my parents are boomers.

Reactions: 7b48hl
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
The boomers truly had it all. They were able to live out their youth without worries, afford college, get a safe well paying job and housing and retire early. And it still wasn't enough for them. They only thought of themselves and managed to screw over the next five or so generations as well as the damn planet they inhabit. Given how many of them show narcissistic tendencies and how many inflicted abuse and trauma on their children or didn't even bother to teach them how to navigate the world, it's no suprise that the youth is confused and lost. And yet when one tells them these facts, all they can offer is generic live-laugh-love bs and advice on yoga. Truly the most selfish generation in modern times.
P.S. I know that not an entire generation is like that but sadly a lot of them are. I'll admit I might be biased and projecting since my parents are boomers.

You are cheery today :smiling: - I'm just joking. I agree with your points :wink:

What could have made the boomers so spoiled, though...? Were they treated unfairly well as children just because their parents survived World War II, for example...?

Last edited: