F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm having a day of wanting to talk about films... This thread contains spoilers!

Has anyone seen the 2009 film 'Moon'? I cried so much when he found out he was a clone. I'm not sure why. Maybe because his 'life' had been hard. He's basically marooned on the moon with only the memories of his partner and children probably keeping him hanging on and he finds out that he isn't even real in effect- so- his emotions aren't based on reality either. Like- they're massively intense to him but in effect they're artificial.

I remember once at uni, our teacher said that the Sci-fi genre isn't really about the future. It's more about making social comment and criticisms about the present.

Maybe this is a bit far fetched but I wonder if the despair he feels at finding out the truth is similar to when we wonder why we are alive and suffering. If there isn't an end goal to it. If there isn't a purpose, it's like a whole lot of intense pain only we can feel for no reason in particular. I guess it's that state of finding yourself alive in a sometimes hostile world because others made those decisions for you.

I don't know. I don't think I've explained it very well. Has anyone else seen it though? Or, any other films where a character finds out they aren't 'real'? Was it a sad reveal? Why do you think that is? I think it is because- if we have to suffer, we at least want to believe it's for something genuine. Or, for some genuine purpose. I think that's the main problem people have with God- why create and allow so much suffering? What's the purpose of it all?

• Love
Reactions: rozeske, notadaisy, star.trip and 2 others
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
watch it about a 5-6 times good film, oblivion is another film where he find out he's clone, Æon Flux is another film where the whole population are clones

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
watch it about a 5-6 times good film, oblivion is another film where he find out he's clone, Æon Flux is another film where the whole population are clones

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check them out. The Island, 2005 is another one.

Do they make you sad too? I think it's that whole- finding out your life is a lie and you've been bred for profit.

DeadNotSleeping

DeadNotSleeping

Just an absolute mess.
Oct 7, 2024
Moon is one of my absolute favorite movies. The first time I watched it I was blown away by the twist. It was fantastic. I always try to get friends to watch it but they're never as "mind-fucked" as I was. Such a good movie. Gonna rewatch it tonight.

Triangle and Coherence have a similar "clone" vibe. Would recommend if you haven't seen them.

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Moon is one of my absolute favorite movies. The first time I watched it I was blown away by the twist. It was fantastic. I always try to get friends to watch it but they're never as "mind-fucked" as I was. Such a good movie. Gonna rewatch it tonight.

Triangle and Coherence have a similar "clone" vibe. Would recommend if you haven't seen them.

Oh, cool- thank you. I haven't seen either of them. I love film recommendations.

• Hugs
Reactions: DeadNotSleeping