Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
I get it, money doesn't literally buy happiness, but it depends on what your definition of happiness is. 99% of people's definition of happiness is something that you have to pay for. Like if you have to travel anywhere to feel happy you are spending money in some capacity. Whoever says that money can't buy happiness literally doesn't know what life is like without money. If you don't have a lot of money, then having money will make you happy, but if you have been in an environment where you've had money all of your life, then it won't buy happiness. I'd rather be unhappy on a private jet than trying to worry about rent.

• Informative
Reactions: JKFleck, _Minsk, NonameNobody and 8 others
Cosmog

Cosmog

Everything going wrong, nothing going right.
Jun 22, 2024
What you've covered is true in a lot of ways but most of your argument is simply an appeal to majority fallacy. Also the last part of ur post is a bit iffy, as there is a bunch of successful people who've made it from having nothing to having everything they ever wanted and still falling to drugs, anxiety and depression. Some are able to overcome it and others aren't. I believe money can only buy a temporal & fictitious happiness. Sure it may be able to solve most the problems you currently have atm, but new problems would prolly arise in which money cannot solve (unless ur a simple minded guy who only worries about js rent, which there's obv nthn wrong w). Overall tho it just comes down w who u are as a person, but I actually believe that only a minority would be able to stave off their depression with money, as it is shown time and time again with how society works that even the richest ppls lives look more miniscule in happiness than a humble middle to poor class family, as relationships are more deep and wouldn't waver over the increase/decrease in income. Maybe this is js wishful thinking in my end tho idk, but its nice to think sometimes that its the strength of the connection you have with others that bring you more happiness than money itself.

Reactions: Darkover and pthnrdnojvsc
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Accentuate the Positive
Sep 19, 2023
Once you've tried everything in your power, available in your situation, money gives you the chance at those last options. I think I'd be better if I could escape wageslavery, but of course I don't know. Notice that people who come in to say money doesn't make a difference on these threads aren't rushing to get rid of theirs.

"Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today... But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're giving none away."

Reactions: JKFleck, Darkover and littleinsanity
kyhoti

kyhoti

May 27, 2024
It can't buy happiness, but it sure does make shit easier. Just saying.

Reactions: divinemistress36, Darkover, Andrew10 and 2 others
DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
Money may not buy true happiness but zero dollars = zero happiness. Money can't buy poverty.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Darkover, Andrew10 and 2 others
CocoToxBase

CocoToxBase

Experienced
Jan 8, 2024
there needs to be a balance. You cant just have a constant stream of loads of money coming in because eventually the money that brought you happiness will in fact make you depressed because you've done everything you've wanted to do and basically 'completed life'. That's why there's high suicidal rates in rich people. If you are poor then that sucks because you can't do stuff that the majority of people do. In my opinion having money to pay bills and then extra for luxury stuff is a nice balance. But from the UK point of view we can't even have that anymore due to the prices rising. But overall money can buy happiness it's just the question of how long will you be happy for

Reactions: rozeske, divinemistress36, Darkover and 2 others
F

fuzzy-clown

Experienced
Nov 27, 2022
If you have enough money you could hire a team of people to make you happy.

Reactions: sserafim, divinemistress36 and Darkover
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yeah, definitely. I think it's more that the lack of money can lead to misery. Again, not in all circumstances but it can be a massive stressor in life. Plus, it's unpleasant being such a slave to it. Protestors will just respond by saying- 'go and live off grid then' but I find that kind of a cop out. Just because a person doesn't enjoy being a wave slave, doesn't mean they want to freeze their butt off in the wild foraging for grasshoppers to eat. I think it's reasonable to say that neither lifestyles appeal!

Reactions: sserafim, divinemistress36 and Darkover
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
it would make life less stressful but there are a lot of rich people who just work a lot and dont even get to enjoy their riches

Reactions: Darkover
makebelieve

makebelieve

Apr 19, 2022
If i had money to fix my facial scars my life would be 10x better.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: divinemistress36 and Darkover
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Plenty of rich people CTB and lots of poor people are very happy.

Happiness comes from within us, not external factors.

Depression won't go away just because the bank balance is healthy.

Reactions: divinemistress36 and AdamOndiAhman
T

Trav1989

Jun 2, 2024
I get it, money doesn't literally buy happiness, but it depends on what your definition of happiness is. 99% of people's definition of happiness is something that you have to pay for. Like if you have to travel anywhere to feel happy you are spending money in some capacity. Whoever says that money can't buy happiness literally doesn't know what life is like without money. If you don't have a lot of money, then having money will make you happy, but if you have been in an environment where you've had money all of your life, then it won't buy happiness. I'd rather be unhappy on a private jet than trying to worry about rent.
Oh, money can certainly buy stability at least in an unstable world. It also opens doors up that would otherwise be shut and thus enables a plethora of options instead of a couple paths that lead to mediocrity or worse.

Reactions: Darkover
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
Says people with plenty of money.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I think I mentioned it in a similar thread long ago but I remember a study that tested how much money really makes happy and the result was that an income up to about 8-10k $ a month generally makes happier but with higher income there's no gain in happiness anymore.

We assume here that there are no other issues that can't be cured with money.