Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Most people here seem to favour a death that resembles falling asleep - not just from our own viewpoint, but also from the point of view of whoever finds us. It's like we're more weary than angry; we don't mean to upset people; if we can remain rosy we'll probably pay extra for that. I'm weary. Tuck me in and let me rest.

There are also those who are fine with turning blue, dangling from the ceiling, vomiting, writhing - very sorry, baby, but you don't get to pretend I'm just asleep. I don't care if it hurts. I want you to see my bitterness. I want you to have to deal with it.

Some of us favour more public methods. I don't care who sees how devastated I am - I'm jumping. I'm leaping in front of a train or a truck. So it'll traumatise the driver - like I'm not traumatised? and who cared about that?? Obliterate me.

And so on. All the methods convey something. What about yours?

• Love
Reactions: NotOkay_, zeroshark, endergames and 25 others
Dead beat dad

Dead beat dad

Enlightened
Mar 5, 2019
Most people here seem to favour a death that resembles falling asleep - not just from our own viewpoint, but also from the point of view of whoever finds us. It's like we're more weary than angry; we don't mean to upset people; if we can remain rosy we'll probably pay extra for that. I'm weary. Tuck me in and let me rest.

There are also those who are fine with turning blue, dangling from the ceiling, vomiting, writhing - very sorry, baby, but you don't get to pretend I'm just asleep. I don't care if it hurts. I want you to see my bitterness. I want you to have to deal with it.

Some of us favour more public methods. I don't care who sees how devastated I am - I'm jumping. I'm leaping in front of a train or a truck. So it'll traumatise the driver - like I'm not traumatised? and who cared about that?? Obliterate me.

I'm just tired brother. Sick and tired of being sick and tired.
The thought of drifting away in to the arms of sleep everlasting fills me with a sense of comfort.
I'm sorry for what those who find those who CTB will have to go through, life is just sad, there is so much sadness and not enough kindness.
DBD

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Ghost2211, WearyOfStruggling and 10 others
O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
I have not made a real decision. That said the only thing my method will or should convey is that I don't want to be here. It's not about anyone else it's about me and if that is selfish so be it.

That said it seems super unlikely I would invite trauma to someone else that is not necessary. I.e. someone is going to find my body so that can be a bit traumatizing. My method will not change based on what my body will look like with the obvious exception that I would not jump in front of a train or do anything to put anyone else in harm's way.

While it may not be about anyone else I do not invite nor will I be responsible for adding to someone else's pain beyond what is truly needed for my escape

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: tooheavy, Huntfish34, XYZ and 6 others
KnightOfEnceladus

KnightOfEnceladus

Lost child in time
May 20, 2019
Mine conveys who and what I am: traumatized, tired, beaten down, and just for once wanting to do the one truly selfish thing I've ever done, to have something go properly and not hurt me. It also draws on my knowledge of pharmacology. And, finally, it is the fruit of learning, far too late, to trust someone. That someone has helped me prepare, and with her blessing and her far-off assistance, I have the confidence to go when it's time.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: tooheavy, Huntfish34, XYZ and 4 others
IsItReallyParanoia

IsItReallyParanoia

Mrs. Mathers
May 28, 2019
I literally never thought of this nor do I care how people will interpret my suicide. They never understood so why tf would I care how they see me after death honestly.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: tooheavy, Huntfish34, Lifeisatrap and 4 others
LaBrava

LaBrava

Experienced
May 5, 2019
The only method I had thought about in the past was hanging as I didn't know much about other options. Now I'm hoping to use N and a large part of the reason for that is that it just seems more dignified to me to just fall asleep on a bed.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Lifeisatrap, Circles and 2 others
been_there

been_there

Life cares only for itself.
Jun 5, 2019
Ideation may convey expression, but the act itself is function over style.

Reactions: Captive of Mind, Lifeisatrap, Person and 2 others
N

NOT

Experienced
Apr 16, 2019
It is something that has to be done and I am on it.
Really dont care about suicide notes or how my funeral is gonna be like.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Lifeisatrap and Circles
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
I literally never thought of this nor do I care how people will interpret my suicide. They never understood so why tf would ai care how they see me after death honestly.

That's cool. I'm not suggesting we should care how anyone sees us; I'm asking what the methods express. Some of us are angry and want that to be clear. Some of us want to quietly erase our existence. Some of us want to blow ourselves to bits because we're raging desperate. And so on.
Ideation may convey expression, but the act itself is function over style.

Ok, but the function is the same no matter which method one chooses. What's yours (if you feel like saying)?
It is something that has to be done and I am on it.
Really dont care about suicide notes or how my funeral is gonna be like.

Nor do I. I'm asking about what the methods we choose express, not about notes or funerals or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, LastFlowers, Halo13 and 3 others
been_there

been_there

Life cares only for itself.
Jun 5, 2019
Jumping. Or being pushed now I've mentioned it.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, LastFlowers, Circles and 1 other person
omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
i live in a dream world, my head's always in the clouds so the idea of gassing myself out with helium appeals and is fitting.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: sweetbraid, 262653, Lifeisatrap and 2 others
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
My method is drowning. The reason for choosing this method is that I don't wish my body to be found for the following reasons:
  • I don't want any remaining family members to know (I've had no contact for almost 30 years)
  • I don't want my body to be repatriated
  • I don't want to be remembered, so no funeral or cremation, and certainly no gravestone
  • I want to my death to have the minimum possible impact on the environment, as much as is within my control
I realise that I may not achieve some or any of my goals, but it's the best I can do with the resources available to me. I feel this is a form of expression, although I guess it really depends on how others interpret or perceive it that ultimately determines how it's construed.

• Hugs
  • Love
Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019

I think there's a good deal of truth in a chosen method being symbolic of a statement be it wanting peace, slumber, revenge, sympathy or just not caring either way. I'd prefer mine be unlike the way I've lived - pleasant and peaceful.

Excellent post :smiling:

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Lifeisatrap, Circles and 1 other person
Nobodysfault

Nobodysfault

"If my soul be lost, its nobodys fault but mine"
Mar 21, 2019

Its poetic yet i dont agree, most of us wants the first option but cant afford/get the supplies.
I dont want to turn blue and i dont want my head to be crushed on concrete, yet these are my options because there is no N or SN or entiemetics in my country.
I still scroll this forum to find a new affordable way to end my life in a way that i will seem to be asleep when found.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Circles and Soul
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks for your additions. @Superfluous, your reasons are impeccable, and to me the metaphor speaks for itself.

@Halo13, thanks for getting what tree I'm barking up here - very appreciated.

@Nobodysfault, you're right: Availability is key to any choice, and yet poetry finds some leeway within that, doesn't it? I don't have access to peaceful poisons, but I'm still not bitterly enraged enough to choke down drain cleaner to make my agony unforgettable to anyone who hears about it; I'm not shattered enough to jump or cut my own throat. So I'll look into the night-night method that sounds so peaceful, or learn to make partial suspension work, preferably with a strong silk scarf that won't hurt.

I wish all of you - all of us - lives we find worth living and then deaths that do what we want them to.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Lifeisatrap, Circles and 4 others
Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019
Thanks for your additions. @Superfluous, your reasons are impeccable, and to me the metaphor speaks for itself. @Halo13, thanks for getting what tree I'm barking up here - very appreciated.
No worries! After trying to ctb for almost two decades, I've put much thought into this very subject. I can certainly understand what others mean also. Pretty complex metaphor, actually.

• Hugs
  • Love
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
Pretty complex metaphor, actually.

It is indeed. Our beautiful @Superfluous becoming immersed in another culture and then choosing to be engulfed in another element - that's deep in every sense. @Onomotopoeia taking special care not to hurt anyone else, while others don't give a feck about that, and the @KnightOfEnceladus finding a way out that's off the beaten track, rigorous and precise, whilst @omoidarui floats away on helium ... Cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Circles, Superfluous and 2 others
agreement

agreement

Mage
Mar 26, 2018
I'm with you on this.
I've always said that our different methods were something more and deeper than just means of dying like they were a kind of "suicidological" signs.

I'm an "hanger".

• Love
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Soul, Circles and 1 other person
Roger

Roger

I Liked Ike
May 11, 2019
I'm with you on this.
I've always said that our different methods were something more and deeper than just means of dying like they were a kind of "suicidological" signs.

I'm not so sure that this is invariably true. Undoubtedly, some people choose a method, often spectacular and flamboyant, because of the effect it will have on public opinion in general, or maybe on a smaller group of people.

Remember Jan Palach ? I didn't have to look him up - 50 years later I still remember his name and what he died for, and he came instantly to mind when I started to type this post. That's the effect he had on me.

Men, I suspect, often choose a "manly" method.

Me ? As easily, painlessly, quickly, quietly and cleanly as I can contrive, with as little upset to other people as might be possible. I don't really mind if anybody thinks my method was a bit cowardly.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Lifeisatrap, Soul and 1 other person
Partial-Elf

Partial-Elf

Eternal Oblivion
Dec 26, 2018
Thank you for this wonderful prompt/post. For me:
  • Hanging is a symbol of hopelessness, somehow more so than other methods. This is fitting for me as I have little optimism for my own future or that of the human race
  • Hanging also kind of reminds me of an animal who is caught in a trap and suffering, which is once again fitting
  • I'm a male and have always been a little more creative/sensitive and less MURICA than the norm in my community, so hanging feels more fitting to me than firearms
  • I've dabbled in tarot and other divination systems (don't think they're "real", just fun) and was always drawn to the hanged man. You can read more here, but the thrust of it is "pause, surrender, new perspectives, letting go." Seems right in the pocket for me
  • I value elegance and simplicity in problem solving and certainly feel like my preference for hanging is a manifestation of that. I love how simple and direct it is
  • I also would like to hang in a cabin in the woods, mostly for the pleasant environment, quietness, and isolation. I wonder if this choice of location for my method would be considered self expression as well for the purposes of this thread?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, death137, 262653 and 4 others
Crystal Labeija

Crystal Labeija

Experienced
Jun 3, 2019
Your suicide alone will leave a lasting impact. No need to make it worse by dying in a painful and violent manner.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34 and Jean Améry
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
Your suicide alone will leave a lasting impact. No need to make it worse by dying in a painful and violent manner.

Ah but people who choose those routes aren't making it worse; they're choosing methods that suit them. Some people value painlessness very highly; others value certainty more; others want to make a point. And so on.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap
fauna

fauna

Self-destructive
May 31, 2019
So it'll traumatise the driver - like I'm not traumatised? and who cared about that?? Obliterate me.
I love this. Although I don't want to intentionally traumatize anyone, nobody ever cared. Why should we care about others? We could go our whole lives reaching out for help and nobody would give a damn.

Obliterate me? Count me in.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Lifeisatrap and Soul
Scribble Fan

Scribble Fan

I'm out!
May 30, 2019
I sort of romanticize train suicides. As a kid I absolutely loved going to the Henry Ford Museum, the trains were so awe-inspiring:

12107 12108

The only problem is the poor train driver and my agoraphobia... shame really. I suppose I'll just have to night-night my way outta here... or hang if that doesn't work.

• Wow
  • Love
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
I really dont care how I go. If I can procure the things I need to go peacefully and quietly, great, if not, some other method with have to suffice. As long as it works this time around, I really am not bothered what it is so long as no one else is hurt in the process.

• Hugs
  • Love
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
@Scribble Fan, thanks for illustrating so clearly what's impressive about trains

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and Scribble Fan

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I'm going for full suspension + masturbation as a natural sweetener (I don't call it erotic asphyxiation because an orgasm isn't the goal.)
  • Fits my lazy efficient nature. All needed materials are at my apartment so you can say it's entirely homemade.
  • Not painful. I don't like pain but losing consciousness like that feels very scary. Masturbation will be used to counter that.
  • Not concerned with afterdeath or other's feelings. Whether I left crap all over the place or not, I'm not the one who's going to clean the mess.
  • Hands-on approach. This method can be honed with practical experience and doesn't require extensive research like chemistry-involving ones.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, death137, woxihuanni and 2 others
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
@BabyBirch, I've done a little googling to find peer-reviewed articles about what may be behind different choices of method.

Some of what I've found is rather simplistic, eg women choose "less lethal" or "more passive" methods than men do; or that people who complete suicide use more lethal methods than those that merely attempt.

But some of them look like they might have some relevance to your mother's choices, including switching methods. I hope some of them, and/or something listed in the bibliographies, might provide some insight.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
In the past partially b/c I saw no other option and partially b/c I was fascinated with blood or bone crash I tried to jump and cut my carotid artery.

My present method is full suspension hanging. I'm not fascinated with it. The only reason I will do it is because I see no other choice.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: 262653 and Huntfish34