• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
I thought it would be worth sharing this info on the history of psychiatry and mental illness. I assume most "patients" entering the field of psychiatry don't know the history of the field. I think it should be a prerequisite to find out if your doctor is religious because I wouldn't be surprised if some actually still think this punishment way and may think their patients deserve whatever troubles in their life.

Russian Psychiatry in Ancient and Medieval Times.
Yudin (1951) indicated that the first description and classi- fication of mental illnesses was mentioned in documents from the 9th and 10th centuries. Mental illness was explained by demonic possession. At that time the mentally ill were treated by shamans and witch doctors with herbs and curses. After the arrival of Christianity in Russia in the 13th century, mental illness was regarded as God's punishment The mentally ill were taken care of by monks in the monasteries and were divided into two large groups— "odd" and "mad." The main principles of care applied by the Russian Orthodox Church were humane treatment and rehabilitative measures such as gardening and other jobs at the monasteries. The general public sometimes idealized the mentally ill as holy—God's creation—and provided some financial support for the "fools." In the medieval period, descriptions of epilepsy, mental retardation, and schizophrenia-like illness, as well as alcoholism and alco- holic psychosis were documented (Fedotov 1983). Various herbal preparations (pepper, caraway, mustard, mint, nuts), alcoholic tinctures, sedating teas and oils, and honey were used to treat mental disorders.

Related sources:

Reactions: Severen, Orin, Boonks and 3 others
cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
I thought it would be worth sharing this info on the history of psychiatry and mental illness. I assume most "patients" entering the field of psychiatry don't know the history of the field. I think it should be a prerequisite to find out if your doctor is religious because I wouldn't be surprised if some actually still think this punishment way and may think their patients deserve whatever troubles in their life.

Related sources:
Some ultra religous people still think this, or that's its punishment for the sins of the mother

Reactions: alizee
been_there

been_there

Life cares only for itself.
Jun 5, 2019
find out if your doctor is religious

Yes indeed, in words the christian ones may understand : physician heal thyself.

Any suggestions on how to communicate this to doctors of other religions?

SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
However, critics tend to deride this 'bio-psycho-social' model as little more than a 'bio-bio-bio' model, with psychiatrists reduced to mere diagnosticians and pill pushers. Many critics question the scientific evidence underpinning such a robust biological approach, and call for a radical rethink of mental disorders, not as detached disease processes that can be cut up into diagnostic labels, but as subjective and meaningful experiences grounded in both personal and larger sociocultural narratives.

Now that makes a lot of sense to me.

I remember David Ike, who was a sportsman turned commentator who began spouting a lot of religious nonsense in the 80's I think it was. Glen Hoddle, ex footballer turned manager turned commentator, said that disability was punishment for the sins we made in a former life. Wonder what he thinks about his current heart condition.

It seems to me, that right now, our knowledge of psych matters is still about as much mumbo jumbo as it was when Hippocrates was a lad. We still do not know or understand the causes etc so we just make up any plausible sounding BS and feed it to the masses. A bit like religion really.

Reactions: sólstafir, been_there and alizee
been_there

been_there

Jun 5, 2019
Opinion is divided. I think one thing, everyone else thinks another.

• Love
Reactions: Soul
alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
find out if your doctor is religious

Yes indeed, in words the christian ones may understand : physician heal thyself.

Any suggestions on how to communicate this to doctors of other religions?
I think just openly asking if they are religious because you don't want a religious doctor. You even could explain how the history of psychiatry used to think it was God's punishment or evil spirits for mental illness. Then ask if they knew that history and what they think about it. I honestly think psychiatry is just pseudoscience though..

• Love
Reactions: not_a_robot, been_there and SinisterKid
been_there

been_there

Jun 5, 2019
I honestly think psychiatry is just pseudoscience though..
Pseudoscience is a little harsh, imho its just very early days and is currently going through a sort of medicine show period. Mental health is so complex, and with so many constantly changing factors. Personality and beliefs (of both patient and psychiatrist), circumstance, neurology, physical injury, environment, genetics, childhood, trauma, relationships, medication etc

I don't think psychiatrists should be compared to medical doctors, as they have far less chance to diagnose and treat successfully, it is so complex and there's so much trial and error. When this isn't made clear, people end up not trusting the profession.

Reactions: sólstafir and Soul
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I had a psychiatrist once who told me he was trying to instill more pointless torture in his life - as in *he* wanted to suffer, but it certainly implied that he considered pointless torture good for the soul.

On the other hand, society used to make room for village idiots, people hearing orders from angels, having ecstatic visions and whatnot. It wasn't even all that long ago that a chick hearing voices could get an army behind her. How times have changed ...

Reactions: Ruffian, alizee, Orin and 3 others
been_there

been_there

Jun 5, 2019
On the other hand, society used to make room for village idiots, people hearing orders from angels, having ecstatic visions and whatnot. It wasn't even all that long ago that a chick hearing voices could get an army behind her. How times have changed ...

idk, didn't Sarah Palin try this recently?

• Love
Reactions: RM5998, alizee and Soul
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
God needs to put on some Chopin, pet a cat, and chill then.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Temporarilyabsurd, alizee and 2 others
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019

Related sources:
They still are.
Every fake doctor who has called me delusional was a Xian. Several told me outright I would have less problems if I accept Jesus. A social worker told me a few weeks ago that there's nothing wrong with Xians killing unbelievers. I told them I'm atheist and they tried to accuse me of disability fraud so I would lose my benefits.
Mental health workers are the fucking frauds.

Boonks

Boonks

Lowlife
Mar 2, 2019
Lol this is what my "family" believes. I suffered a terrifying manic psychotic episode and instead of supporting me, I became their enemy because they believe me to be a demon who is dangerous to children. Isn't that nice.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Severen and alizee
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Notice how Christianity fucked things up and made everything worse?

"At that time the mentally ill were treated by shamans and witch doctors with herbs and curses." <- Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad. One of the herbs could have been weed...

"After the arrival of Christianity in Russia in the 13th century, mental illness was regarded as God's punishment." <- Now these people are seen as pieces of shit...

It's no surprise, a lot of people in Europe opposed Christianity and had to be conquered by Crusaders...

Lol this is what my "family" believes. I suffered a terrifying manic psychotic episode and instead of supporting me, I became their enemy because they believe me to be a demon who is dangerous to children. Isn't that nice.

Were you born in the 1300s?

Last edited:
Reactions: GinaIsReady, been_there and alizee
alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
Pseudoscience is a little harsh, imho its just very early days and is currently going through a sort of medicine show period. Mental health is so complex, and with so many constantly changing factors. Personality and beliefs (of both patient and psychiatrist), circumstance, neurology, physical injury, environment, genetics, childhood, trauma, relationships, medication etc

I don't think psychiatrists should be compared to medical doctors, as they have far less chance to diagnose and treat successfully, it is so complex and there's so much trial and error. When this isn't made clear, people end up not trusting the profession.
I don't think it's harsh and depending on where a patient is located really matters for the service they will receive in psychiatry. In any case much if not all of psychiatry doesn't follow scientific procedure.

Reactions: been_there and SinisterKid
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Its not harsh at all. Instead of telling us a load of BS, just be open and honest and tell us that really you dont have a clue whats going on, but there are things to try that may or may not work. If they work, we are not sure why, but its of benefit to you so thats all that matters.

Personally, I just feel like a fucking guinea pig and I am just one small part of one very big psych experiment which could have disastrous repercussions for a lot of people. Over dramatic? sensationalism? not after what I have been reading of late.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, not_a_robot, alizee and 1 other person
D

deathenvoy

Experienced
Mar 29, 2019
I think faith can be more beneficial to your psyche than any amount and combinations of psychiatric drugs.
At least it does not have such side effects like limp dick.

Last edited:
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
I don't think it's harsh and depending on where a patient is located really matters for the service they will receive in psychiatry. In any case much if not all of psychiatry doesn't follow scientific procedure.
I've seen them all over the country. They are all the same; useless idiots who think the purpose of therapy is to stroke the therapist's ego and be likable. Any patient who fails in that is deemed a monster.

Reactions: alizee, Severen and sólstafir
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
Cheers @alizee , I'm checking out that author.

He seems pretty onto it .

Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I've seen them all over the country. They are all the same; useless idiots who think the purpose of therapy is to stroke the therapist's ego and be likable. Any patient who fails in that is deemed a monster.

I wonder how a therapist would react if I gave her this response.

I think faith can be more beneficial to your psyche than any amount and combinations of psychiatric drugs.
At least it does not have such side effects like limp dick.

No it just prevents your brain from developing and makes you live in a world devoid of logic, knowledge, understanding etc.

deltahead

deltahead

Student
May 28, 2019
funny. i've had some strange moments during childhood where i believed demons were everywhere or it wasn't safe to leave the room (was i just making myself afraid to induce some kind of breakdown?), i'd get inside my uncle's car and cry about how everything looked satanic or out to get me while everyone'd just look at me like i'm crazy. and maybe 1 year ago i tried mentioning this to my aunt only for her to answer that it was probably those violent satanic video games i kept playing that let demonic influence seep into my life. mind you, this is by far the most well-adjusted, wealthy and intelligent person in my immediate family, and she often talks to me about how homosexuals are a "sign of the apocalypse". i remember this situation where my mom was clearly in the throes of an anxiety attack, and my dad just yelled some "the power of christ compels you" type of shit at her. i remember also crying while listening to this, i think i just couldn't handle how utterly fucking pathetic and cartoonish my existence was and continues to be. if only this was the only type of christian i've encountered. would have made things significantly more simple.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ruffian and not_a_robot
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
funny. i've had some strange moments during childhood where i believed demons were everywhere or it wasn't safe to leave the room (was i just making myself afraid to induce some kind of breakdown?), i'd get inside my uncle's car and cry about how everything looked satanic or out to get me while everyone'd just look at me like i'm crazy. and maybe 1 year ago i tried mentioning this to my aunt only for her to answer that it was probably those violent satanic video games i kept playing that let demonic influence seep into my life. mind you, this is by far the most well-adjusted, wealthy and intelligent person in my immediate family, and she often talks to me about how homosexuals are a "sign of the apocalypse". i remember this situation where my mom was clearly in the throes of an anxiety attack, and my dad just yelled some "the power of christ compels you" type of shit at her. i remember also crying while listening to this, i think i just couldn't handle how utterly fucking pathetic and cartoonish my existence was and continues to be. if only this was the only type of christian i've encountered. would have made things significantly more simple.

Sorry to hear your brain has been filled with all that stuff to the point, you weren't able to enjoy life. Kids should only be thinking about toys and super soaker wars with other kids. Teens should be thinking about hanging out with their friends at the mall, their Highschool crushes, getting drunk and high.

Last edited:
Reactions: cornflowerblue and GinaIsReady
Ruffian

Ruffian

Jumpin Jack Flash, it’s a gas gas gas
Jan 16, 2019
It may be a sign you're extremely creative and you see the world differently that others. The director Guillermo Del Torro talks about ghosts he used to see as a child.

To stay on topic, I have yet to meet a therapist or psychiatrist who wasn't a fundamental atheist. Freud was an atheist, and he wasn't perfect, but he would never say God was your problem.

been_there

been_there

Jun 5, 2019
nah, there are good ones, Religion gets in the way cos ist a generalisation. Freud gets in the way cos he generalises. The best ones are [rpfessional friends. you can't help people from rules. Its not maths, ITs not medicine, its not retail. One size does not fit all.

Its art baby. And art is both subjective and objective. We're complicated. but wot do I know?

Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
nah, there are good ones, Religion gets in the way cos ist a generalisation. Freud gets in the way cos he generalises. The best ones are [rpfessional friends. you can't help people from rules. Its not maths, ITs not medicine, its not retail. One size does not fit all.

Its art baby. And art is both subjective and objective. We're complicated. but wot do I know?

LOL the Christian god has nothing better to do than watch everyone on Earth and then give people who make him butthurt, a mental illness or two... LMAO. In the shoes of a god, I'd spend my time, actually doing important things.

been_there

been_there

Jun 5, 2019
wasn't talking about god, was talking about therapists. If we're seriously talking about god, my toenails need clipping so I'll n eve to come back to you

O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
LOL the Christian god has nothing better to do than watch everyone on Earth and then give people who make him butthurt, a mental illness or two... LMAO. In the shoes of a god, I'd spend my time, actually doing important things.

It's said we are made in his image...but that's a bit damning to him now isn't it?

"Now listen to me Jehova...I know you can do much better than this if you just apply yourself. Go back to your desk. Start again. Come back when you have made a real effort."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I'd say that the diagnosis part of psychiatry is scientific enough. It's the treatment part that's pseudoscience.

(Going by my understanding of psychiatric treatment procedures in relation to Karl Popper's definition of the scientific being falsifiable.)

alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
I'd say that the diagnosis part of psychiatry is scientific enough. It's the treatment part that's pseudoscience.

(Going by my understanding of psychiatric treatment procedures in relation to Karl Popper's definition of the scientific being falsifiable.)
Nope all pseudoscience and even human experimentation. Nothing scientific about it. :/

Reactions: oopswronglife