S

Shakespear's Brother

Sep 10, 2019
Fuck, one of the most odious, performative piles of garbage is that whole mess of #BellLetsTalk on Twitter

Fucking telephone company co-opting mental health as a fucking marketing stunt

Reactions: Élégie and TotallyIsolated
SleeplessSoul

SleeplessSoul

Student
Apr 10, 2020
@BitterlyAlive
Mental health and mental illness are NOT the same thing at all
Mental health is looking after your mental being just like physcial health involves looking after the body and being healthy
Mental illness is suffering from an actual mental disorder which has to be treated.
We all have mental health but not mental ill health
It is norm al to feel depressed if your partner dumped you but that is not suffering an illness

It is not normal to have compulsive self harm urgues like i do .
It is not nornal to have on and off sucidial thoughts like i do

Mental health campaigms encourage people to talk about thier feelings and seek help, look after their wellbeing

Anway i think it is all bullshit as people dont listen or get fed up of you talking .

This is the kind of thing I wanted to say. I totally see the point of mental health awareness month and I can see the 'good' it might do. Personally, I think it's more for people with acute mental health issues. It does a lot of good for those kind of people by encouraging them to say it's sad that kind of things.

As someone who has a chronic mental health condition though, I don't think it's for me. It doesn't make me want to talk more about constantly being suicidal or wanting to self-harm. It doesn't make things any better to talk about things.

That said, I am one of those people who posts a lot of stuff about mental health awareness because I want my friends to be able to come to me. I've had a few people reach out and I'm so glad I can help.

• Hugs
Reactions: FireFox
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
The awareness campaign shit is extremely invasive and talking-over people too, it's only ever been About Us Without Us

I've... been in the public library in Albuquerque...

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
lol all the "neurotypicals" on Twitter right now boasting about how they contribute to mental health awareness. It's just a way to boost their own ego by getting likes and recognition.
I just feel like screaming. I mean can they not just do a kind deed and not post it on social media? I lose some respect for people when I see this. I do feel sorry for them though because they obviously have their own self-esteem issues. It's just extremely sad that they have to use mental illness and general misery about life as a way to feel validated.
I can't stand people who publicly pat themselves on the back for such nonsense. It's all a show.

taylor321

taylor321

Mar 1, 2020
Exactly. Ugh I'm not looking at twitter for a long while now. Can't stand it. People who have literally ignored me when I've been suicidal are posting about suicide prevention and the importance of kindness etc. It's an absolute joke lol.
You're 100% absolutely right. It's just a generic thing regular people do to feel better about themselves, it's like posting #rip (whatever celeb just died), it's just something they do to feel a part of something I guess. It's hella annoying cause there's no emotion behind it.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, TotallyIsolated and madbananas
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
You're 100% absolutely right. It's just a generic thing regular people do to feel better about themselves, it's like posting #rip (whatever celeb just died), it's just something they do to feel a part of something I guess. It's hella annoying cause there's no emotion behind it.
It shows how fake society really is

• Love
Reactions: Élégie and madbananas
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
See my thread:

The concept of "Mentall ilness" is a harmfull and dangerous social construct.
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...dangerous-social-construct.38304/#post-709721

Reactions: noaccount
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
People love talking about mental health as if they give a shit, but when the time comes to actually practice any of their waffle they're nowhere to be seen.

DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
Oh, relatable! I'm autistic too. I see it that way: actions about spreading awareness are all around me but no actual help for me.

C

ceelo

Experienced
May 18, 2020
mental health awareness is just the trend of the now like cancer and aids were in the 80s/90s so all the celebs and shit can self promote hiding behind self righteous bullshite. The real intention is to create more customers for pharma meds and not address whats making people miserable in the first place like a band aid just along as you KEEP PAYING TAX.

• Aww..
Reactions: Bct and DoNotLet2
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
"We may be able to come up with all kinds of cleverly nuanced perspectives on how we, as professionals and philosophers, understand psychiatric diagnosis but the fact remains that people are being told that they have mental illnesses and disorders, with all of the usual connotations of those terms in Western societies. Moreover, they are heavily encouraged to take on the particular narrow understanding that you refer to–we are all bombarded with messages about "mental illness" being "as real as a broken arm", and needing to be managed by drugs "just like diabetes." Even the dubious compromise of the "biopsychosocial" model–a way of acknowledging some role for psychosocial factors while at the same time instantly relegating them to "triggers" of a disease process–is not much in evidence on the ground. And furthermore, the biomedical message is reinforced by the fact that these labels are being applied by doctors and nurses working in hospitals and clinics, who use not just the labels themselves but the whole medicalized discourse of symptom, patient, prognosis, treatment, relapse, and so. The "stereotypical biomedical understanding of diagnoses", as you put it, is absolutely everywhere. […] I have yet to hear any real life service user say "Although the doctor told me I have schizophrenia I'm not too worried, because "illness" is just a metaphor for suffering in this case and it doesn't exclude personal meaning." I'm sure readers are aware that the consequences of being diagnosed–such as being sectioned, forcibly injected, and so on–are not just metaphorical. Some of these learned articles strike me as a form of defense against admitting to the fundamental inadequacy and devastating damage of the current diagnostic system. Essentially, we need to acknowledge that we are not dealing with patients with illness, but people with problems." - — Lucy Johnstone, PsyD, Moving Beyond Psychiatric Diagnosis