M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
lol all the "neurotypicals" on Twitter right now boasting about how they contribute to mental health awareness. It's just a way to boost their own ego by getting likes and recognition.
I just feel like screaming. I mean can they not just do a kind deed and not post it on social media? I lose some respect for people when I see this. I do feel sorry for them though because they obviously have their own self-esteem issues. It's just extremely sad that they have to use mental illness and general misery about life as a way to feel validated.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: VIBRITANNIA, Élégie, TotallyIsolated and 20 others
Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
I have a high level of respect for those who do kind things but not for public attention ❤ It just means so much more

• Love
Reactions: Pan, Pisceslilith, Vault of Memories and 3 others
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
I have a high level of respect for those who do kind things but not for public attention ❤ It just means so much more

Exactly. Ugh I'm not looking at twitter for a long while now. Can't stand it. People who have literally ignored me when I've been suicidal are posting about suicide prevention and the importance of kindness etc. It's an absolute joke lol.

• Hugs
  • Hmph!
Reactions: Forgiveme, cant cry, Pan and 8 others
W

WhatIsMyLife

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
It's called slacktivism. A token post to make only the person posting it feel better. They don't actually care about mental health, they just want those delicious "likes" and the attention that comes along with it.

Also...

IHNUJZr

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VIBRITANNIA, Élégie, Forgiveme and 22 others
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
It's called slacktivism. A token post to make only the person posting it feel better. They don't actually care about mental health, they just want those delicious "likes" and the attention that comes along with it.

Also...

View attachment 35348

Wow, it's that common there's even a word for it :pfff:
it's so disappointing and I actually feel disgusted seeing it. Stepping off of twitter for a while.

Reactions: Pisceslilith and ssaaahmo
terry_a_davis

terry_a_davis

Warlock
Dec 28, 2019
Going to play devils advocate here, what if this isn't all that bad that people are doing this not only for the awareness of mental health but to also get 'likes' etc?
They are raising the awareness of mental illness, so should they not receive affirmation, 'likes', for doing this? We get likes etc on our posts here are we not similar?
Before you say "they are not genuine", how do you know?

Reactions: Lilly1961, SleeplessSoul, gnomeboy17 and 4 others
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
Going to play devils advocate here, what if this isn't all that bad that people are doing this not only for the awareness of mental health but to also get 'likes' etc?
They are raising the awareness of mental illness, so should they not receive affirmation, 'likes', for doing this? We get likes etc on our posts here are we not similar?
Before you say "they are not genuine", how do you know?

Because these are specific people who ghosted me after my suicide attempt. This is just based on my experience, apologies if it sounds like I meant absolutely everybody.

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, TotallyIsolated, cant cry and 4 others
terry_a_davis

terry_a_davis

Warlock
Dec 28, 2019
Because these are specific people who ghosted me after my suicide attempt. This is just based on my experience, apologies if it sounds like I meant absolutely everybody.
No apology needed and I'm very sorry to hear that happened to you. You've just proven that some lack the conviction of the message they put out.
The message above from Matts Ideas Shop is a really good message I think.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PrettyMoose, ssaaahmo and madbananas
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
No apology needed and I'm very sorry to hear that happened to you. You've just proven that some lack the conviction of the message they put out.
The message above from Matts Ideas Shop is a really good message I think.

ah it's ok it's one of these things that just makes me super angry haha
it's a real slap in the face when everyone abandons you lol and they're mental health professionals and/or tweeting about How important human life is.

Reactions: PrettyMoose, ssaaahmo, dyingtodie and 2 others
M

MaybeSoon

Experienced
Oct 11, 2019
I always feel worse during these 'awareness' campaigns. Feels like since they started 'anxiety and depression' have became a blanket statement for anyone who is worried or feeling low which are pretty much normal responses to most negative situations. Feels like mental disorders are somehow shoehorned into the same bracket and can be cured by walking, talking and focusing on breath and if you're not 'looking after' your mental health you're at fault and doing something wrong. Not to mention 'just reach out for help, the helps there if YOU want it' Yeah right, you obviously haven't tried to get help in the UK over the last couple of years. Plus as soon as the 'awareness' period is over people are soon back to critisizing each other and scoring petty points. It's good that people are learning to manage negativeemotions but I don't feel like mental health and mental illness are the same thing at all.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, Bct, jrums and 5 others
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
I always feel worse during these 'awareness' campaigns. Feels like since they started 'anxiety and depression' have became a blanket statement for anyone who is worried or feeling low which are pretty much normal responses to most negative situations. Feels like mental disorders are somehow shoehorned into the same bracket and can be cured by walking, talking and focusing on breath and if you're not 'looking after' your mental health you're at fault and doing something wrong. Not to mention 'just reach out for help, the helps there if YOU want it' Yeah right, you obviously haven't tried to get help in the UK over the last couple of years. Plus as soon as the 'awareness' period is over people are soon back to critisizing each other and scoring petty points. It's good that people are learning to manage negativeemotions but I don't feel like mental health and mental illness are the same thing at all.

I did a thread about this a while ago or similar lines, the forum search isn't working for me now though, but Mental health, Mental well being two different things, yet made to be the same, someone having a bad day will liken and claim to sympathise with someone who's suicidal,
I didn't even realise it was mental health week, or whatever it is, All I see in my social media news feeds regardless this week or any other week, are people sharing quotes about *mental well being* and how its oK to not be ok and just because they are smiling doesn't mean they are not suffering, Yea I think your 20 other posts kinda told me that info already.
I tend not to post my issues on social media now I realise how fake it is, and how people simply don't get the difference. I respect those who truely suffer, but don't liken your panic attack because your child is going back to school, to one where I suffer from one due to pain, trauma and seriously bad flashbacks.
NOT the same thing!
Sorry rant over

• Love
Reactions: gnomeboy17, PrettyMoose, madbananas and 1 other person
M

MaybeSoon

Experienced
Oct 11, 2019
I did a thread about this a while ago or similar lines, the forum search isn't working for me now though, but Mental health, Mental well being two different things, yet made to be the same, someone having a bad day will liken and claim to sympathise with someone who's suicidal,
I didn't even realise it was mental health week, or whatever it is, All I see in my social media news feeds regardless this week or any other week, are people sharing quotes about *mental well being* and how its oK to not be ok and just because they are smiling doesn't mean they are not suffering, Yea I think your 20 other posts kinda told me that info already.
I tend not to post my issues on social media now I realise how fake it is, and how people simply don't get the difference. I respect those who truely suffer, but don't liken your panic attack because your child is going back to school, to one where I suffer from one due to pain, trauma and seriously bad flashbacks.
NOT the same thing!
Sorry rant over

Don't be sorry, it was a great post.

• Love
Reactions: madbananas
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
NOT the same thing!
Sorry rant over

So true. I'll have a look for this thread (my search function wasn't working earlier either). I've completely stopped posting on Twitter because I used to when I was desperately needing someone to talk to (but not a hotline) and then I tried to ctb and I got love bombed for a week and then no one spoke to me ever again haha. Now they continue to share all the mental health awareness. They should change it to mental well-being awareness as you say because I feel duped haha

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
It's all a damn joke and a way for people to get attention. People don't really care otherwise they would show it through their actions throughout the entire year.

Can we also talk about how silly it is when people talk about mental health awareness? I think they actually mean mental ILLNESS awareness. Mental health is simply the state of...well, being mentally healthy (and honestly who is actually mentally healthy nowadays). Mental illness refers to the actual issues that these movements try to bring awareness to.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to spread inaccuracies/ignorance.

• Love
Reactions: RileyTanaka, PrettyMoose and madbananas
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
It's all a damn joke and a way for people to get attention. People don't really care otherwise they would show it through their actions throughout the entire year.

Can we also talk about how silly it is when people talk about mental health awareness? I think they actually mean mental ILLNESS awareness. Mental health is simply the state of...well, being mentally healthy (and honestly who is actually mentally healthy nowadays). Mental illness refers to the actual issues that these movements try to bring awareness to.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to spread inaccuracies/ignorance.

I totally agree. It's horrible seeing people talk like they care and then be complete hypocrites with their actions. Someone previously on this thread described it as "slacktivism" and I looked that up on YouTube and it's so accurate.

Reactions: RileyTanaka
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Lol slacktivism, I like it and will use it more in polite conversation.

Vault of Memories

Vault of Memories

A temporary being in a temporary world
Mar 24, 2020
I've had so many YouTube videos recommended to me where they donate money or objects to random homeless people and monetize the video. Video goes viral and they end up making up their loses that they gave away and profiting. Essentially milking the homeless for money.

• Hugs
Reactions: Despondent
Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
I've had so many YouTube videos recommended to me where they donate money or objects to random homeless people and monetize the video. Video goes viral and they end up making up their loses that they gave away and profiting. Essentially milking the homeless for money.
I've seen such videos also and they'll play it off that they're just doing a good thing. Those who do good on camera are only asking for attention and I think it's really sad and pathetic that this is some ways that YouTubers get views.

Reactions: Vault of Memories
M

MaybeSoon

Experienced
Oct 11, 2019
Honestly it makes me feel like a hipster meme.... 'I was mentality ill before it was cool'...... Well it's not cool at all.. 'It's okay to not be okay'...... nah it's not otherwise I wouldn't want to smash my own brain in with a hammer and not exist.

Reactions: Green Destiny, Mooshi, cant cry and 2 others
funeraleveryday

funeraleveryday

please help me die
May 16, 2020
God I hate it too. Especially when tomorrow they're all gonna be posting things super insensitive to the people who have conditions more severe than normie depression/anxiety. F*ck off NTs.

• Aww..
Reactions: TotallyIsolated, FireFox and MaybeSoon
G

Greggs1993

May 21, 2020
The government are trying to cover their arses by announcing how much money they're throwing at mental illness,

however in my opinion the mind will never be something you can categorise or diagnose. It's too vast and you can't look into it like you can with a physical injury,

if someone has their mind set on taking action this can't be stopped with mindless doctors and it certainly shouldn't be stigmatised. It's a personal choice and it should be respected more than anything

Reactions: Élégie, Deleted member 17331 and StateOfMind
Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
Yeah I hate it too. You knows what's rich? Seeing the bullies post or share uplifting messages like WHAT

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, RileyTanaka and TotallyIsolated
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
@MaybeSoon You are right
Mental health and mental ill health are the NOT same thing. Mental health refers to caring for your mental wellbeing and emotions just like physical health involves caring for your body and keeping healthy. Mental ill health is a disorder which needs real treatment by professionals. Depression is a disorder etc, bipolar is a disorder etc
We have mental health but not mental ill health.
Feeling upset and worried about covid 19 is normal but not an illness. Feeling upset your man left you is natural but not an illness

Self harming or urgues of self harm i have is not nornal
Being sucidial everyday is serious.
I am not depressed but i dont want to exit anymore. This is not nornal espucally i been like this for years.

Mental health awareness month is another example how fake society really is and society actually does not care about mental health. Personally i think mental health awarness month is just a month to make people feel good, virtual signal.
I hate mental health awarness month as i think the whole thing is bullshit.

The campaigns say " just talk" . Excuse me the problem is people dont fucking listen. Oh my god
When i told on my close university friends ( female) i have depression they said it was not real . They blamed me for being a feminist and wanting a career for being depressed. She said say "people in africa dont get depression why is only the west"
My friend is black. My friend stopped taking to me after graduating university. She knew i was extremely anxious about life after university espcially me being sucidial . Never once she called
The adults around me never wanted to listen. They patronised me saying " i am too young to feel this way:
If people listened to me more and actually helped me i wouldnt be on this forum. I wouldnt be a member.
I am here because the outside world never listened to me or helped me actually live.

I am getting sick to death of hearing the platitude "seek help" There is no help for mental health in the UK . The NHS has long waiting list for help thats if you are lucky get on it. In my area the waiting list is 10 months and only get 6 sessions.
Some mental health services reject you if you have sucidial thoughts.

I tried accessing mental health serivces in the NHS and struggled. I was recommended IAPT an Nhs serice which provides therapy for mild to moderate depression .When i made an online apllication for IAPT i heard nothing for months. i contacted them and they said they sent a letter to my house which i never received . My failiure to respond to the letter meant they closed he file on me and i will have to apply again if i want to hear from them again and use their serivce. After that i cant be bothered. The waiting list i have been told is 10 months and you cant move up the list. IAPT dont dealth with sucidial thoughts which is my biggest issue.

-If people really cared about mental health they will be campaigning for a reduction in waiting times and more importantly an accessible care for mental health
- people if they really cared will be campaiging for newer and radical treatments like medical cannabis for mentally ill. Medical cannabis is very limited and hard to get in the UK

It is easisr to virtual signal than campaign for real change.
lol all the "neurotypicals" on Twitter right now boasting about how they contribute to mental health awareness. It's just a way to boost their own ego by getting likes and recognition.
I just feel like screaming. I mean can they not just do a kind deed and not post it on social media? I lose some respect for people when I see this. I do feel sorry for them though because they obviously have their own self-esteem issues. It's just extremely sad that they have to use mental illness and general misery about life as a way to feel validated.
@madbananas Twitter is bullshit. Twitter is full of sheep who never question the status quo and fake people
Remember when caroline flack ( famous uk tv presentor ) killed hereself and there was the #BeKind trending.
I laughed becauae it was so fake .
Everyday people are so bitchy towards people on twitter and they talk of #Bekind because there favourite celeb on thier favourite tv show no longer is alive.

I dont use twitter as my opinions tend not be in the mainstream.

Twitter UK is full of agressive labour supppoters seriously during the election there was #votelabour trending everyday. A lot of virtual siginalling from people voting jeremy corbyn

I am 23 but i dont think like most people my age.

- if lived in the USA i would be classed as a republican.( i hate the republican party)
I am a liberatarian in my political views
- small goverment
- i believe in low taxes for majority of the population
- legalisation of cannabis and legalissation of some psychadelic drugs like magic mushrooms
- less wars
- less state spying

Last edited:
Reactions: MephistoJustBeneath, Bct and Pan
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
God I hate it too. Especially when tomorrow they're all gonna be posting things super insensitive to the people who have conditions more severe than normie depression/anxiety. F*ck off NTs.
@funeraleveryday it is all fake mental health awarness month
I would love to see a campaign which campaigns to improve the mental health system .
Lots of people with mental health problems struggle to get help it is not fair.
I hate injustice
It is easier for people to post messages than take action.
We need action and justice for people suffering mental health illness.

Reactions: Pan
P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
In the u.s.a., every month is mental health awareness month. Sad but so true.
I totally agree. It's horrible seeing people talk like they care and then be complete hypocrites with their actions. Someone previously on this thread described it as "slacktivism" and I looked that up on YouTube and it's so accurate.

May I make a recommendation for reading? It is a brief essay entitled "combat Liberalism in all its forms". It is authored by Chairman Mao Tse Tung.

Last edited:
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020

@BitterlyAlive
Mental health and mental illness are NOT the same thing at all
Mental health is looking after your mental being just like physcial health involves looking after the body and being healthy
Mental illness is suffering from an actual mental disorder which has to be treated.
We all have mental health but not mental ill health
It is norm al to feel depressed if your partner dumped you but that is not suffering an illness

It is not normal to have compulsive self harm urgues like i do .
It is not nornal to have on and off sucidial thoughts like i do

Mental health campaigms encourage people to talk about thier feelings and seek help, look after their wellbeing

Anway i think it is all bullshit as people dont listen or get fed up of you talking .

Reactions: SleeplessSoul
P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
Help! I'm losing track of who is replying to whom! Who? What! Where?
What is a meme?

Last edited:
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
Help! I'm losing track of who is replying to whom! Who? What! Where?
What is a meme?
whatisameme04-500x500.jpg

Pretty much words put on a picture that are exchanged on the internet between internet users, and the meme can be about anything.

P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
Thank you. I am a retired archivist/Library Director with a graduate degree in the profession. My, how "relevant" to the 21st century! Take the city of Albuquerque for example. It has NO public library. I spent my time cataloging old manuscripts, developing collections of yet more dead wood, and all for what? My bachelors degree b.f.a. was in experimental filmmakers no less. I might as well have been baying at the moon!

Also...

View attachment 35348
THUMBS UP 2 u

Last edited:
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Every single animal in the animal kingdom does exactly the opposite of what mental health awareness wants you to; they showcase their strengths and hide their weaknesses. Society is still a power struggle, we still compete for survival, so don't go around parading your vulnerability to people you don't trust.
Sad as it may be to accept, but nobody really cares for you, especially not strangers; they usually don't give a fuck about you. What they are after is their own self interest (money, status) ... do you really think anyone would become a psychiatrist without the cash or the status attached to it? Therapists build their livelihoods on the 'mentally ill', their relationship is in part symbiotic and parasitic. All these professions, institutions, memes and movements, they all need the 'mentally ill' to further their own self interest, just as you might use the label to further your own self interest. But in most cases, it's better to stay away from the label, don't talk about it, don't identify yourself as mentally ill ever, don't tell people you've been on a psych ward, don't tell them you're suicidal, etc ...

Best is to reject vehemently to be labeled as such. These campaigns only ever parade rich and powerful people who have 'mental illness' ... but they don't have to fear anything. The strong can show weakness, but not the weak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bct, Shinbu and IrRegularjoe