• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
Hi.

I'm 42y, but I feel my mental age is swinging from 14y to 90y, all depending on what I'm doing and who I'm with. I hear it all the time, "I still feel like I'm 25", or "I'm almost 60, but inside I'm like a teenager".

I's typically older hipsters saying this. It's all about your mental age. Anyone feel they don't "fit" their age?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, MissNietzsche, letmeseethedeath and 9 others
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Mage
May 14, 2018
I'm 41 and feel the same way. I don't think I'm older than 18-25 emotionally. Coincidentally this was around the same age I started doing recreational drugs. I feel tired like a 90 year old though.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, puppy9, Sweet emotion and 1 other person
DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
22. And half the time when I'm pandering about something and speaking out on things, I'd say I become mentally 50-100-ish. And when I'm in one of those random moods where I'm emptyheaded, I'd suddenly become like 12-ish.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, 56709, cherub and 4 others
sammii

sammii

I have no idea what I’m doing.
Oct 9, 2019
I'm 28 years old and I look and feel about 10 years younger. Wish I could pause ageing for a bit to let my brain catch up lol.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Sweet emotion, Worthless_nobody and 3 others
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
I'm 30 physically, but mentally... 16 would be a decent guess. Got locked in a mental cage, if you will.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Élégie, catbirb and 3 others
amnotreal

amnotreal

Student
Oct 20, 2019
I have DID and my mental age seems to swing from very young like 2 all the way to older than I really am which is 40. Mostly I feel pretty young and childlike.

Reactions: MissNietzsche and Susannah
V

vulturecyclop

May 23, 2019
In terms of personality, maturity, accomplishments and intellect I'd say I feel at most 17. I feel embarrassed about it.

• Aww..
Reactions: Kassender, Sweet emotion and Susannah
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
Hi.

I'm 42y, but I feel my mental age is swinging from 14y to 90y, all depending on what I'm doing and who I'm with. I hear it all the time, "I still feel like I'm 25", or "I'm almost 60, but inside I'm like a teenager".

I's typically older hipsters saying this. It's all about your mental age. Anyone feel they don't "fit" their age?
Wow how this relates to me. I'm 34 years old but I got sick with complex regional pain syndrome at the age of 20 and spent all those years in hospitals, having surgeries, going to over 50 doctors, and being secluded in my house. So I never got to be around people my age and relate to them. I never got to grow mentslly. If I were to get better now I'd have no idea how to relate to people my age. They would find me very immature and child like. Yet I feel like I'm 80 years old because of how sick I am and that I am house bound. It really screws with your mental state. I feel like I died at 20 so that is the age I feel like I a now. But I'm 34 and that feels incredibly old to me even though it isn't old. It's just that when you don't get to live 14 years of your life and they start to pass you by and nothing in your life changes you just don't know how you got to 34. So I completely understand how you feel.
In terms of personality, maturity, accomplishments and intellect I'd say I feel at most 17. I feel embarrassed about it.
Don't feel embarrassed about it. This is what depression does. It's not your fault.
I have DID and my mental age seems to swing from very young like 2 all the way to older than I really am which is 40. Mostly I feel pretty young and childlike.
What is DID?
I'm 41 and feel the same way. I don't think I'm older than 18-25 emotionally. Coincidentally this was around the same age I started doing recreational drugs. I feel tired like a 90 year old though.
They say when you start doing drugs you wind up mentally stuck at the age you started doing them. Mine weren't recreational but I was on opiates and I started at 20. So I don't feel 34.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensei, WrongPuzzlePiece and Susannah
TearyEyedQueen

TearyEyedQueen

In the wrong timeline
Nov 14, 2019
I'm going to be 20 next year but I feel 12. That's when my social life stopped. 15-ish at most.

• Love
Reactions: cherub, MissNietzsche, mediocre and 1 other person
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
I'm 47 but since being rescued by the police after substantial oxygen deprivation,I'm readin at age 10-12 years levelMy CPN gave me 2 paragraphs to read,but it was just impossible.
Conversations can manage up to about 10 minutes before I'm so far behind that I've totally lost the plot. People whp understand can do a short recap for me but others I just politely dismiss myself from.
I am really hoping next year will see me able to read a simple book,but I've reordered my ingredients just in case.

Reactions: Sensei, Susannah and Throwawaysoul
E

End Piece

Student
Oct 4, 2019
I feel like in a lot of ways, I am stuck in a teenaged state. I'm only 23, but loads of my peers have surpassed me in education, jobs, experiences, etc. I feel left behind while everyone grew up. At the same time, I feel like an old lady with dementia. My mental cognition is terrible and I can't focus for shit.

Reactions: Susannah, Worthless_nobody, Feelingsruiner and 1 other person
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Mage
May 14, 2018
loads of my peers have surpassed me in education, jobs, experiences, etc

Seems like every douche bag that tortured me in High school is doing better than me. Hell, one even was an accessory to murder of a convenience store clerk. He went to jail, came out a carpenter, has a house and a family.

Reactions: Susannah
E

End Piece

Student
Oct 4, 2019
Seems like every douche bag that tortured me in High school is doing better than me. Hell, one even was an accessory to murder of a convenience store clerk. He went to jail, came out a carpenter, has a house and a family.
Ouch. That is annoying, to say the least. I think the worst for me is my step brother. We are exactly the same age, and he just finished his nursing degree and is going off to Japan to ski for 6 months. When he gets back, he's planning to move out to BC, which has been my dream for a while. My dad moved away to a farm with him and his mother when I was a kid, had a baby with her, and they all have this perfect little life out there. I can't help but feel that if I had that life, things would be different for me. I'm pretty bitter, trying to be happy for him though.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: SawItOnce, Susannah and Throwawaysoul
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I feel both 17 and 70.

SoupSnakes

SoupSnakes

Experienced
Nov 11, 2019
I'm pretty sure that I'm a 90 year old trapped inside the body of a 26 year old.

Reactions: Susannah, Sensei and Lethe
Feelingsruiner

Feelingsruiner

Nov 8, 2019
Ouch. That is annoying, to say the least. I think the worst for me is my step brother. We are exactly the same age, and he just finished his nursing degree and is going off to Japan to ski for 6 months. When he gets back, he's planning to move out to BC, which has been my dream for a while. My dad moved away to a farm with him and his mother when I was a kid, had a baby with her, and they all have this perfect little life out there. I can't help but feel that if I had that life, things would be different for me. I'm pretty bitter, trying to be happy for him though.

Hi @End Piece , I feel exactly the same as you do. I'm about the same age and everyone seems to be doing so much better. My dad got himself a new family far away and they all have that perfect little life, while my childhood and teenage years were shit. Can't help but feel bitter and believe that I would have turned out a lot better (mentally and physically) had I been a member of that family. Trying to just be happy for him. I relate sooo much. If you ever want to you can PM me. :)

And about my mental age I would say I feel like I am around 30/35 maybe, while I'm 10 years younger. Feeling physically older with health problems, and very late when it comes to "life projects" like I should already own a house, be married and have children. I also have some 60 years old's hobbies (and style sometimes).

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Anyone feel they don't "fit" their age?

Absolutely. My actual age is 45, but I have the mind of a 15-year-old boy and the fitness of an 85-year-old man. I missed the train and don't live the life I'm supposed to live at my age, so I guess my life is that of a 25-year-old. When it comes to mental age, I always think of Christopher Lee. At the age of 79-82 he played Saruman in The Lord of the Rings trilogy and at the age of 88 he released a heavy metal album. I know plenty of people who are in their twenties or thirties and are less youthful than Christopher Lee was in his eighties.

Last edited:
kerokeroka

kerokeroka

Kerokero:8068 我正在学习中文, 我虽然不擅长..
Oct 3, 2019
i bounce between 15 and 17 even though im 20 years old. I have adhd and i hear people with adhd lag behind mentally by a few years compared to their neurotypical counterparts.

DepressionsAHo

DepressionsAHo

Heaven gained a new ho
Feb 15, 2019
Wow how this relates to me. I'm 34 years old but I got sick with complex regional pain syndrome at the age of 20 and spent all those years in hospitals, having surgeries, going to over 50 doctors, and being secluded in my house. So I never got to be around people my age and relate to them. I never got to grow mentslly. If I were to get better now I'd have no idea how to relate to people my age. They would find me very immature and child like. Yet I feel like I'm 80 years old because of how sick I am and that I am house bound. It really screws with your mental state. I feel like I died at 20 so that is the age I feel like I a now. But I'm 34 and that feels incredibly old to me even though it isn't old. It's just that when you don't get to live 14 years of your life and they start to pass you by and nothing in your life changes you just don't know how you got to 34. So I completely understand how you feel.

Don't feel embarrassed about it. This is what depression does. It's not your fault.

What is DID?

They say when you start doing drugs you wind up mentally stuck at the age you started doing them. Mine weren't recreational but I was on opiates and I started at 20. So I don't feel 34.
DID is dissociative identity disorder

S

SawItOnce

Nov 13, 2019
I'm 40 and feel 40 and it feels... clicked. Like the planets are aligned and my mind is going smooth, no more swings from 2 to 70 (I used to have them a lot). If only my body was aligned too, piece of crap shit.

F

Francois

Nov 20, 2019
I am in my forties and I honestly, mentally feel like I am in my forties.
Even a few years ago I engaged in sexually risky behaviour. Going to clubs, having one night stands with strangers I hardly knew.
In a matter of five years I totally lost interest in sex and I look back in a bit of shock.
They subsequently diagnosed me with low testosterone levels, which I already knew. I honestly felt that testosterone compromised me emotionally.
I felt it diminished my rational decision making.

Now, five years on, I do feel like I matured a lot emotionally.
I have to make a decision, the doctors are giving me the option of taking hormonal supplements to "rectify" my testosterone levels.
But rectifying that might break me emotionally.

Maybe if I enter a new relationship and its important to my new partner I might go on testosterone.
Though I lately feel like I am a man going my own way. I don't have anything to offer a woman.
I am trying to be my own best friend.

Reactions: forever21, Susannah and SawItOnce
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
am 20. multiple shrinks said that if they had to take a gander at my mental age it'd be 12. feel the same honestly

Reactions: forever21 and Susannah
Ambie

Ambie

Jun 13, 2019
I have dissociative disorder so my mental age depends on the moment but usually its somewhere around 2-12.. (Im actually 20)

• Hugs
Reactions: Susannah and DoNotLet2
DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
I feel my age but people keep saying I'm childish. ;-;

mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
Yes, I'm like a teenager in how I live my life. Stay up all night playing video games then sleep half the day. Irresponsible with money and immature. Penchant for drugs/booze to kill the pain.

Reactions: forever21 and Susannah
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
What is age really? Since I started not bothering with my birthday, leaving the years to flow with no number, I don't feel an age, I don't feel like I should act anyway, I don't feel like I have a number to define me. The only thing I do feel, is a little bit odd when I have professionals clearly younger then me dealing with me, I struggle with that, Life experience Vs Uni Experience are very different!!

Reactions: Mizzmini45, forever21, Sensei and 2 others
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Indeed. I wonder if it is douchebags that the cosmos favors, or if it is that one becomes über successful then that person douches-out because of his success.

Where being a mere douchebag allows one to have a steady job or business, a house and comfortable income, the ruling class (elite bankers, über wealthy) are downright evil. One has to wonder if there is a correlation.

Reactions: Sensei, Susannah, Throwawaysoul and 1 other person
TheStranger

TheStranger

Nov 28, 2019
I'm 20. I feel like an edgy 12 year old. All my peers are becoming adults and I just want to lay in bed and play video games.

Reactions: 56709, Susannah, End Piece and 2 others
F

forever21

Student
Oct 19, 2019
I feel like an edgy 12 year old. All my peers are becoming adults and I just want to lay in bed and play video games.
Im 21 and I feel the same. But instead of videogames, i watch Youtube and watch memes on reddit.

Reactions: Susannah, TheStranger and TearyEyedQueen