Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
A lot of people over the years have speculated about the end of the world as we know it. Even if you dismiss climate change or believe in the rapture, it is consistent with history to recognize that our current civilization cannot last forever. All good (and bad) things must come to an end.

Yesterday, I visited a theme park where throngs of people had gathered, and I got properly drunk. All in all, I'm not a big fan of theme parks and feel them to be overrated, but I had a good time despite the crowds and heat. I found myself grinning like an idiot as I saw all the little kids dressed up like superheroes and the like. Theme parks transport them to another world where magic exists. They suspend their disbelief for the low, low price of $150-200/day.

My moods are very mercurial when drunk and quickly slid down into melancholy when I thought about the world economy and the threat of climate change/ecological disaster. Even if I don't fear for myself, I fear for these kids. If things go bad enough, we may never capture this level of civilization again - even the silly, glam, overpriced corporate stuff we ingest like hard candy, and I find that sad.

Maybe it's not the end of the world now, but it will be eventually. Nothing lasts forever. Everything fades. Life brings inevitable death.

Reactions: bubo