I wish I were a cat

I wish I were a cat

Sleep is good, death is better.
Apr 14, 2023
Anyone else feel like they're just completely mediocre.
I'm not really great at anything. I'm good at a few things but I don't have a special talent or anything..not super smart. Just an average person.

Maybe life wouldn't be so depressing if I wasn't so average.

• Hugs
Reactions: mediocre, OceanBlue and rationaltake
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I feel this a lot. Intellectually, I know that even when people do have special talents, they often end up in all sorts of trouble since they are objectified and stereotyped for the 'thing' that they can offer. Celebrities are often good examples of this. What people really want is to actually be loved, yet our primitive society is instead structured around dominance hierarchies.

Interestingly, there's research indicating that most people rate their abilities as 'better than average', which of course is impossible since someone has to actually be average. In certain other situations, people can view themselves as below average.

It's easy to see why optimism and self-enhancement would be a characteristic that humans evolved to possess. It seems to be a natural defense against depressive realism, which would not serve the survival of the species. And yet, in terms of our general attitude, humans are sharply biased towards the negative, presumably because unpleasant things can represent a threat to our very survival whereas positive things are at best a fleeting feel-good moment.

When all is said and done, it is helpful to be mindful of the fact that our thoughts are distorted and biased in all sorts of ways.

Reactions: I wish I were a cat, Forever Sleep, rationaltake and 1 other person
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
I feel this a lot. Intellectually, I know that even when people do have special talents, they often end up in all sorts of trouble since they are objectified and stereotyped for the 'thing' that they can offer. Celebrities are often good examples of this. What people really want is to actually be loved, yet our primitive society is instead structured around dominance hierarchies.

Interestingly, there's research indicating that most people rate their abilities as 'better than average', which of course is impossible since someone has to actually be average. In certain other situations, people can view themselves as below average.

It's easy to see why optimism and self-enhancement would be a characteristic that humans evolved to possess. It seems to be a natural defense against depressive realism, which would not serve the survival of the species. And yet, in terms of our general attitude, humans are sharply biased towards the negative, presumably because unpleasant things can represent a threat to our very survival whereas positive things are at best a fleeting feel-good moment.

When all is said and done, it is helpful to be mindful of the fact that our thoughts are distorted and biased in all sorts of ways.
Can I just say that I love how you always link certain words to Wikipedia articles. It is so nice to see and really useful!
I think there are a lot of things that we are better at than others but we need to try to find such skills first and enhance them :) practice makes perfect typa stuff, yknow

Reactions: Pluto and I wish I were a cat
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
At least you assess yourself realistically, in this you're above average 🏅

I also would like to have a creative talent, we can't pick and choose unfortunately.
Hugs :hug:

Reactions: I wish I were a cat
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
yes that's why I chose it as my username😅

Reactions: I wish I were a cat
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023