alpris13

alpris13

It's always something!
Mar 18, 2023
What media portrayals of severe depression or suicide do you consider exceptionally good? For me, the sopranos has numerous displays of both. I remember a scene in which a character is talking to psychiatrist, and says "How are people not depressed? You'd have to be crazy not to be". That line always stuck with me.

The apathy in this scene i also find especially relatable and realistic.

• Love
Reactions: apple2myeye!, Alcoholic Teletubby, Kattt and 4 others
finnn

finnn

Mar 13, 2023
What media portrayals of severe depression or suicide do you consider exceptionally good? For me, the sopranos has numerous displays of both. I remember a scene in which a character is talking to psychiatrist, and says "How are people not depressed? You'd have to be crazy not to be". That line always stuck with me.

The apathy in this scene i also find especially relatable and realistic.

i'm not diagnosed with depression, but i'm suicidal. omori has always stuck with me because i can really relate to how it feels to feel like everybody hates you, how everything is your fault and disassociating, and feeling like nothing you do can ever make up for your mistakes, hence, if you can't fix your mistakes the guilt eats you up and the only thing you feel like is left is to ctb

• Informative
Reactions: Zephronic, Skathon, apple2myeye! and 6 others
alpris13

alpris13

It's always something!
Mar 18, 2023
i'm not diagnosed with depression, but i'm suicidal. omori has always stuck with me because i can really relate to how it feels to feel like everybody hates you, how everything is your fault and disassociating, and feeling like nothing you do can ever make up for your mistakes, hence, if you can't fix your mistakes the guilt eats you up and the only thing you feel like is left is to ctb
I've actually been meaning to check out omori for a while. Everyone i know that's played it says its a masterpiece. This description has definitely intrigued me. I think i'll check it out once i finish up scorn.

Reactions: Zephronic, Skathon, starrvingstar and 2 others
Memoka

Memoka

The Galaxy Mage
Mar 21, 2023
Films:
Taxi driver
Joker

• Love
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, youwantitdarker, TapeMachine and 2 others
alpris13

alpris13

It's always something!
Mar 18, 2023
Films:
Taxi driver
Joker
Absolute classics and definitely ones i'd put on the list. Joaquin Phoenix did such an amazing job with that script.

Good reimu pfp by the way.

Memoka

Memoka

The Galaxy Mage
Mar 21, 2023
Recently finished games from Project Moon.
Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina.
Good reimu pfp by the way.
Touhou cures depression. Sometimes

Reactions: Buñuelo and alpris13
alpris13

alpris13

It's always something!
Mar 18, 2023
Recently finished games from Project Moon.
Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina.

Touhou cures depression. Sometimes
I find it harder to be sad when looking at a silly picture of a patchouli fumo.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Touhou and Memoka
Memoka

Memoka

The Galaxy Mage
Mar 21, 2023
I find it harder to be sad when looking at a silly picture of a patchouli fumo.
Same
q9V7LVKJTH4.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Zephronic and alpris13
finnn

finnn

Mar 13, 2023
I've actually been meaning to check out omori for a while. Everyone i know that's played it says its a masterpiece. This description has definitely intrigued me. I think i'll check it out once i finish up scorn.
you should! the game is emotional, and i can't get into the lore without spoiling, but it isn't what it seems like at first.

alpris13

alpris13

It's always something!
Mar 18, 2023
you should! the game is emotional, and i can't get into the lore without spoiling, but it isn't what it seems like at first.
I figured there was something more to it. I will say i adore its art style to death. That crayon aesthetic is great and just pure eye candy.

Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
I would say Supernatural did a great job portraying depression with Dean Winchester. Even though I'm not a monster slaying badass like he is, the way he feels about himself is so incredibly relatable. The way he covers it up with humor and sarcasm is a lot like me, and the anger he has is just like me as well.

• Love
Reactions: RoundaboutResolved, Ringo and TapeMachine
M

Maybe_I_Might

Mar 24, 2023
I would say Supernatural did a great job portraying depression with Dean Winchester. Even though I'm not a monster slaying badass like he is, the way he feels about himself is so incredibly relatable. The way he covers it up with humor and sarcasm is a lot like me, and the anger he has is just like me as well.

Yeah I totally agree, supernatural did a great job showing how subtle and hidden it can be at times and at others how apparent it can be, and how it just affects everything you do. Great show too.
Really corny but in the show "Ginny and Georgia", Marcus depicts certain aspects pretty well.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream
umjammertranner

umjammertranner

Not your friend
Mar 25, 2023
Welcome to the NHK is probably the most I've ever related to an anime/manga, it's depiction of depression in an uncaring world is incredibly real. It also tackles suicide (and drug abuse in the manga) in a way that actually feels realistic.

Fun fact: the author wrote the original novel in an attempt to make himself stop being a shut in
Another fun fact: it didn't work

Reactions: apple2myeye!, Zegers, Sluggish_Slump and 2 others
incorporationated

incorporationated

mentally unstable idiot
Jan 24, 2023
Definitely OMORI for depression/suicide.
Bocchi from Bocchi The Rock is relatable, sometimes over-exaggerated but that's the relatable part. It's more on Social Anxiety though rather than depression and suicide.

Reactions: ANONYMOUSM and Lost in a Dream
leahfocusplease

leahfocusplease

Mar 23, 2023
the last two books by Paul Celan, especially Timestead. they were posthumously published as he drowned himself before it could be done, and every line is so dejected and tired i can hardly read the poems most of the time.
during my worst depressive episode, i had a brief period where i was exhausted past the point of feeling exhaustion. Celan expresses that complete, ontological defeat better than anything else i've heard, read or seen.

Reactions: youwantitdarker and Lost in a Dream
LateForTheBus

LateForTheBus

Experienced
Feb 7, 2023
Yeah I totally agree, supernatural did a great job showing how subtle and hidden it can be at times and at others how apparent it can be, and how it just affects everything you do. Great show too.
Oh, wow. I've found fellow SPN fans out in the wild! That never happens. 😉 I think you are both right; the show did a great job with Dean's character, showing all the ways depression can affect someone.

• Hugs
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
Oh, wow. I've found fellow SPN fans out in the wild! That never happens. 😉 I think you are both right; the show did a great job with Dean's character, showing all the ways depression can affect someone.

I'm glad I managed to watch all 15 seasons while being alive, even though I enjoyed the early seasons the most. It really helped to make things more bearable.

LateForTheBus

LateForTheBus

Experienced
Feb 7, 2023
I'm glad I managed to watch all 15 seasons while being alive, even though I enjoyed the early seasons the most. It really helped to make things more bearable.
Same here. SPN got me through a lot of dark days. And I agree, the early seasons were the best.

moonchildren

moonchildren

Mar 26, 2023
the haunting of hill house (2018) dir. mike flanagan. one of the most compelling, uncomfortable, but spot-on meditations on depression, suicide, addiction, and grief by far - at least for me. the usage of horror to explore such themes also really struck me as a horror fan.

Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Welcome To The N.H.K. an anime based on a book about an unemployed shut-in who hasn't left his apartment for 4 years and Watamote an anime and manga series about a high school girl with social anxiety and depression are both very good.

Reactions: apple2myeye!, Zegers, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
Zetsubou

Zetsubou

Friend of Despair
Mar 16, 2023
"No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai shook me to my very core when I first read it.

Reactions: ANONYMOUSM, Depresso, apple2myeye! and 1 other person
leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
Crime and Punishment felt very relatable to me.
Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, oddly enough. When your mental health deteriorates, it feels the same. People treat you with sympathy, cry about you, but eventually it feels like people just hate you, leave you to rot…

Reactions: ANONYMOUSM, Zephronic, heartbroken12 and 1 other person
leahfocusplease

leahfocusplease

Mar 23, 2023
could you share your favourite poems of his? sounds like something I'd relate to
absolutely! here are a few from his later work:

'As I carry the ringshadow
you carry the ring,

something, used to heaviness,
strains itself
lifting us,
infinite
de-ternalizing you.'

'Once,
I did hear him,
he did wash the world,
unseen, nightlong,
real.

One and unending,
annihilated,
I'ed.

Light was. Salvation.'

Laivirt

Laivirt

No one is going to save you.
Feb 5, 2023
Shocked no one has mentioned Oyasumi Punpun yet. It's been quite a while since I read it but it did resonate with me quite a bit. It always felt like Punpun was alone even when he hung out with his friends and other people. Mainly because he's struggling to figure out how to even be a person and he doesn't have much guidance on that.

By the time he meets Aiko again when he's older, it's cathartic for both him and the reader to realize that she isn't living the great life he thought she was living. They were both from messy, dysfunctional families and that kind of upbringing really messed up their ability to make meaningful connections and figure out what the hell they're supposed to do with their lives.

There's this concept of having a gaydar in the LGBT community and I think the same applies to kids with trauma, they just attract each other like magnets without even knowing lol. That's how all my friendships played out, and that's why Punpun got so hung up on Aiko despite them growing distant.

I read this series the same way i approach other works of fiction that tackle depression; I expected it to give me some sort of answer, like what the hell I'm supposed to do to pull myself out of this rut I'm in. It didn't give me one. I'm glad it didn't since it makes me feel a little less alone. If the answer was easy, I would've figured it out by now right?

RainyPrimadonna

RainyPrimadonna

Nice to meet you! ツ
Mar 11, 2023
OMORI is definitely a favourite of mine, I don't think it's very accurate with it's main plot point, but I think the way some characters (basil and sunny) are portrayed are really really interesting and good. Milk inside of a bag of milk inside of a bag of milk is really good too, it's the second game, and it's rather short, but the way everything is depicted is so interesting.

Reactions: ANONYMOUSM, mytimemysunflower and apple2myeye!
charlotte_

charlotte_

Arcanist
Mar 12, 2023
my fav gotta be hello charlotte. mental health is depicted in such a metaphorical but deeply realistic way, esp the way the developer portrays depression and schizophrenia. the feeling of guilt, fear of abandonment, feeling like the world is no place for you, and sm more. it just hits me so close. 10/10 definitely reccomend i'll never shut up abt this game

borderline-feline

borderline-feline

Constantly Sleepy Catgirl
Dec 28, 2022
Something about Koe no Katachi really resonates with me, but not in the way that so many people talk about. People focus too much on the bullying part (partially because of the English title being mistranslated), and they completely neglect the fact that it's a film all about communication. I've always felt really isolated because of my difficulties with communication, so the suicide attempts in the film hit me like a truck.

LocalMistake

LocalMistake

update: found the 'change username' option lmao
Nov 26, 2020
goodnight punpun is a pretty neat way to get your depression/suicide fix from.
uk skins tv show hit me pretty hard when it was on netflix...
wonder egg priority is okay too.

starrvingstar

starrvingstar

suicidal anorexic
Apr 9, 2023
the game night in the woods definitely first struck me

that dissociative and dull feeling of going through life