red_pen

red_pen

yob: 1999
Jul 2, 2020
share books, shows, games, etc. that make you feel...cathartic. only rule to try & abide by is to not post something that's already been posted...
anyway, for me:

- oyasumi punpun (manga). this is probably a classic amongst all the weebs here. dude struggles with his mental illnesses

- kaiba (anime). something about the depersonalization, and the separation of your mind from your body just got to me. also there are some real sad moments on life and how short it can be...

-houseki no kuni (i recommend you read the manga, though there is an anime). mc experiences a ton of suffering and isolation due to their suffering. sad stuff

Reactions: AnxietyAttack44 and TheSoulless
Angina

Angina

>>AnginA<<
Jun 27, 2020
Manga: Shiki
Anime: Claymore, KILL la KILL, Shiki, xxxHolic.
Cartoons: pick your pleasure at kimcartoon (dot) to.
Comic books: Batman (Dark Label), Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Thorgal (the best European comic book series), Thorgal : Kriss de Valnor (spin-off) and many more.

Reactions: demuic, AnxietyAttack44, Circles and 1 other person
ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
There's this show on netflix called After Life with Ricky Garvais that I think is really perfect for a lot of people here, the main character is very sad that his wife passed away and contemplates suicide. It really spoke to me, and made me feel less alone, if that makes sense

• Love
Reactions: Abgrundanziehung, Sinai Silence, AnxietyAttack44 and 5 others
ChoclateIsSweet

ChoclateIsSweet

ChocolateIsSweet
Mar 24, 2020
Mob Psycho 100
It's a very comforting story to me. The author said he wanted to make something "kind" and I think he truly achieved that.

Reactions: draw a circle, AnxietyAttack44, Circles and 1 other person
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I mean, I would say Evangelion, but Shinji made the wrong decision in the end. If I understood EoE right, that is. It's a shame.

I get a "cathartic" feeling when I watch Your Lie in April. It's just plain sad.

HxH also, more specifically the Chimera Ant arc. It has good themes, I was really impressed by it.

Reactions: demuic, ChoclateIsSweet, AnxietyAttack44 and 2 others
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
The show impractical jokers is a go to for me. I can just laugh at the dumb shit they do and forget about my problems.

• Love
Reactions: AnxietyAttack44, Circles, puppy9 and 2 others
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
The old sitcoms and movies from the 60s.
Reminds me of a simpler time for some reason.

Reactions: TooConscious, FriendofDeath, AnxietyAttack44 and 3 others
G

Georgii

Arcanist
Sep 25, 2019
Dragon Raja , its an online mmorpg with open world .Im not a keen person on games but Ive made quite somefriends and the little group I got there is making me feel somehow welcomed .

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, draw a circle, AnxietyAttack44 and 1 other person
A

AnxietyAttack44

I just wanna go to my husband already.
Jun 5, 2020
Youtube horror gameplayers. John wolfe is a good guy, no screaming, down to earth, underapreciated.
Me and husband always prepared for his videos like if it was a movie night out. Loved it every time, especially marathons. We even revatched alot. I still do same prep.

Call me kevin, can watch any time of the day, he always picks me up from anxiety attack.

Markiplier, jacksepticeye, cjugames, mrkravin and similar game players are also on the helpful list if its something anxiety allows me to watch.

Overwatch league live.. Cuz we used to play overwatch together and having some other ppl talk now helps, even if its useless background noise. Especially if i know its live. Helps me endure.

Reactions: Sinai Silence and Angina
Angina

Angina

>>AnginA<<
Jun 27, 2020
Youtube horror gameplayers. John wolfe is a good guy, no screaming, down to earth, underapreciated.
Me and husband always prepared for his videos like if it was a movie night out. Loved it every time, especially marathons. We even revatched alot. I still do same prep.

Call me kevin, can watch any time of the day, he always picks me up from anxiety attack.

Markiplier, jacksepticeye, cjugames, mrkravin and similar game players are also on the helpful list if its something anxiety allows me to watch.

Overwatch league live.. Cuz we used to play overwatch together and having some other ppl talk now helps, even if its useless background noise. Especially if i know its live. Helps me endure.

Harley Quinn cartoon and comic books if you can get them. Amazing and funny.

Reactions: AnxietyAttack44
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
Kurzgesagt I just love the art style and accessibility to interesting scientific theories, studies etc. I find the narrators voice quite calming idk why :ahhha:

Suicidesheep does melodic EDM and chill beats which they upload everyday. Their music is soothing and the community is really wholesome, the artists they use for their videos also do some great work.

Currently reading the A Silent Voice manga series which I'm loving currently.

Most Studio Ghibli movies do wonders for me; especially Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Subnautica is an indie game which I love. It combines my two favorite things; sci-fi and the ocean. If you can handle the more scary aspects of the great unknown there are moments of sweet serenity that I couldn't go without.

• Love
Reactions: Abgrundanziehung and Angina
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Animals are really cool. I watched "Crikey! It's the Irwins" on Animal Planet the other day and was able to actually get out of my head. It's just a really nice wholesome show. Before I watched it for the first time, I was worried that they were milking off of Steve Irwin's popularity by making a show about his wife and kids... But nah, this is a genuinely good show. Seeing other people so passionate is nice - that's probably why I've always been a damn teacher's pet, come to think about it.

I also started watching a bit of Mr. Bean and it's funny. Kind of reminds me of the old American detective show "Monk". They both have that same super awkward energy.

Reactions: Lorntroubles
Folie

Folie

Jul 14, 2020
Not gonna lie. The thing that helped me the most was reading all the Harry Potter books. They legit saved my life! I would have died a loooong time ago had I not been introduced to those books when I was. I prefer to go to True Crime books when reading now. I do plan to start the Game of Thrones series at some point too. Reading has always been a good coping method for me.

Now, I go to YouTube and search for MonkeyBoo. He makes me so happy. I love that damn monkey. He never fails to bring a smile to my face no matter how bad I feel. I like watching JennaMarbles' vids too. I adore her dogs. Animals bring me so much joy! I like watching Key (a dog channel) and Sherpa (his dog friend) on YT too.

I can put on any season of Jersey Shore and completely veg on it for however long I need to. I can do the same with RuPaul's Drag Race.

Music is the other big one. Post Malone... Billie Eilish... Eminem... The Killers... Lots of stuff.

Reactions: FriendofDeath
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
Spirited Away was one of our favorites. I haven't watched that in a long time. We also got into Jackie Chan movies! Just finished Orphan Black for the second time - my mom got into it, too.

Some others I liked were Fringe, Eureka and I love a lot of the corny disaster movies (like Battle LA or Day After Tomorrow.) What I used to do that was effective for me was to turn on a movie (commercial-free) and either draw or doodle and sometimes even knit. Not only could I get out of my mind, but I could often forget my pain.

Loved Naruto, too. I was without cable a number of years, so I watched DVDs a lot and now Prime and Netflix. Like documentaries, supernatural and true crime.

After my son passed, I had a lot of trouble reading. It's gotten better. I still need to write and publish a few things. At least I think I do.

D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
Mine's a bit weird.... There's a website called Archive Of Our Own and it's a fanfic website. The tagging system is really good, simple but specific, and I like to go to the Suicide Attempt tag to find stories about, well, suicide attempts by various characters. When I can't find a story I like, I sometimes write it myself though. Reading those stories makes me feel better somehow.

For manga, even though I read a lot I can't really pick the "cathartic" ones? If I liked a manga, chances are I'm going to search for sad fanfics based on them anyway. There's a manga I liked called Life Senjou no Bokura and the ending always makes me cry. It's a gay romance story though so proceed with caution. Same with Given (still ongoing), this one contains a suicide in pre-canon.

Also, sometimes I like to go back and watch DDLC gameplays. It's cathartic, for some reason. Fucked up though.

• Hugs
Reactions: Georgii
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Youtube helps me cope but it's kinda bittersweet. It makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy coz I always loved music and sad coz it makes me think of all the fun out there in the world I'll never enjoy.

Reactions: Fragile and Lorntroubles
jenny6391bubbles

jenny6391bubbles

a hikikomori waiting to catch the bus
Mar 1, 2021
Watching streamers and VTubers is my main coping mechanism now.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
-The website 4anime.to (it has a lot of anime in HD. Just amazing)

-Videos about the meaning of life, the afterlife, the simulation theory, Richard Dawkins debates, and the universe.

• Love
Reactions: lofticries and ExhaustedExistence
ExhaustedExistence

ExhaustedExistence

Life is just waiting for death
Mar 26, 2021
Videos about the meaning of life, the afterlife, the simulation theory, Richard Dawkins debates, and the universe.
Have you seen Surviving Death on Netflix? It's documentary miniseries about the afterlife. There are some near-death experiences, signs from dead people and reincarnation. It's quite interesting.

I also watch some documents and movies about the universe. I love sci-fi and supernatural stuff.

• Love
Reactions: WornOutLife
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
(European) football. I'm in love with my prem team (wolves) even though they be sucking big time this season. Also anxiously awaiting euro cup,copa america, and world cup this year and next year. I miss the crazy af fans though.;-;

Last edited:
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Have you seen Surviving Death on Netflix? It's documentary miniseries about the afterlife. There are some near-death experiences, signs from dead people and reincarnation. It's quite interesting.

I also watch some documents and movies about the universe. I love sci-fi and supernatural stuff.

No, I haven't! I certainly have to check it out! Thanks 4 sharing! :)

• Love
Reactions: ExhaustedExistence
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I love following the romance arcs in shows I've already been watching. The more I can relate to it, the better. Obviously I can't correlate most of the actual experiences but the feelings are still there. For example I just finished watching American Dragon: Jake along and the twists and turns the main romance goes through in that series was compelling enough to me plus it ended in a satisfying way too. I suppose it also leans towards daydreaming because I like to imagine myself being in situations like that where it all works out in the end.