• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
Anyone else disgusted how materialistic the world is ? People place to much value on meaningless stuff . Maybe it's just my depressed brain talking, but when I see how materialistic the world is it makes me want to ctb even more..

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: pole, Ambivalent1, Wormfood and 15 others
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
superficial, shallow, & fake can describe 98% of the ppl in the world. i'm completely uninterested in the rat race to appear the prettiest or the most interesting/fun or the coolest or the most nonchalant. i just wanted to be me & meet other ppl that are unapologetically them🧸

turns out basically no1 really knows themselves. they devoted their brains to following trends instead of learning abt & developing themselves. what's popular/cool to wear, eat, drink, like, dislike, love, hate, think, feel, etc. how can they unapologetically be themselves when they're just an amalgamation of other ppl?

• Love
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, FutureHanger, BrainShower and 9 others
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
superficial, shallow, & fake can describe 98% of the ppl in the world. i'm completely uninterested in the rat race to appear the prettiest or the most interesting/fun or the coolest or the most nonchalant. i just wanted to be me & meet other ppl that are unapologetically them🧸

turns out basically no1 really knows themselves. they devoted their brains to following trends instead of learning abt & developing themselves. what's popular/cool to wear, eat, drink, like, dislike, love, hate, think, feel, etc. how can they unapologetically be themselves when they're just an amalgamation of other ppl?
I agree! You have old soul vibes

Reactions: BrainShower, sserafim, Homo erectus and 1 other person
Chronosphere

Chronosphere

Student
Jan 17, 2024
I mean... is there anything in this world that is not meaningless?

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, R_N and divinemistress36
FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
Yes everyday whenever I think of how rich people, whether self made or not, waste their hard earned or inherited wealth on stupidly fancy cars and other bullshit when that money could've been spent on resources to help human beings it makes my blood boil, I don't care if it's "their money" "they worked hard to afford that car" or whatever it's outrageous how people out here dropping millions on fucking cars and objectively meaningless jewellery when 99% of the human population would have their lives changed if given a fraction of that money. It's also a joke how self made ones in particular act like the fancy stuff they wasted money on is the peak of their success, like wow you dedicated hard work towards making loads of money and then you... waste it on a car or chain???

• Love
Reactions: kitty_kat, reclaimedbynature, divinemistress36 and 2 others
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I couldn't agree more, but before I go any further may I point out that the word "materialism" has two entirely different meanings. (1) An undue attachment to physical things, i.e. "wealth" in a broad sense; that is clearly the sense in which you are using the word. (2) The belief that the material world, the one that our senses experience and that science can explore more deeply, is all that exists (i.e. the belief that there is no "spiritual world" distinct from the material world). I am materialist in the second sense but not the first. (We can spare ourselves any discussion of a possible third meaning; dialectical materialism is a bit passé these days.)

My husband and I live very simply. Our car is 24 years old - and looks it. There is not a single armchair or soft chair in the house; simple wooden chairs are perfectly adequate and I'm sitting on one now. We can heat only one room, though winter here can be cold, and that room is heated by a wood-burning stove (for which my husband and I have to cut and carry all the wood from our own trees). We have no washing machine; we wash clothes by hand in the bath. Dishes are washed by hand in an ancient marble sink. And other things. We are far from poor, and could afford to have much more. But we neither need nor want more.

My only extravagance is getting my nails done nicely once a month or so. Yes, it's a silly waste of money. But I think I'm allowed to be silly occasionally.

Sigmund Freud summed it up nicely. Basically what he said (presumably in German) is that the two essentials in life, once you have got the basics like food and shelter, are work (i.e. something to do, to give you a purpose), and someone to love. He was right. I don't suppose he was the first person to make that kind of observation, but he is the first one I know of. I have my work (some research on a topic in biology that interests me) and I have a wonderful man for a husband. I don't want anything more.

The pursuit of material things does not bring happiness. One of my aunts married a man who was a good entrepreneur and who eventually became very wealthy. My aunt was no happier, and probably less happy than my mother, who had little. And all her possessions didn't do my aunt any good when cancer struck.

However you don't have to participate in other people's headlong, pointless rush to acquire material things (and wreck our planet in the process). You can step aside from it. How much you can step aside will depend on your circumstances, but you will be able to do it to at least some extent. I walked away from the rat race, and a very lucrative career, many years ago, so I could live a simpler but far more rewarding life. I have never regretted it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: divinemistress36, superwacki and sserafim
Relic

Relic

Astral Corpse
Mar 6, 2021

Reactions: MatrixPrisoner, divinemistress36 and sserafim
superwacki

superwacki

Violent Member
Dec 9, 2023

pretty much 1-1 to what i always say. when you try to explain this to other people, they just dont seem to understand that lol. and when they do, they look for others who are like them to validate it. and when most people base their lifestyles off of materialism, it makes you feel even more isolated 🤷‍♂️

shit is surreal as fuck. makes you think that life is almost like some type of simulation when most folks around you follow that kind of lifestyle like sheep and you're just singled out from all of that mess

• Love
Reactions: divinemistress36, hikikomorizombie and sserafim
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
Does collecting plush toys count as materialistic? I guess I am, if thats the case, but they provide me comfort because it's hard to find comfort with other humans...

• Love
Reactions: BrainShower and Linda
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
As materialism goes, I think that counts as a very minor - but rather loveable - variety. Keep collecting them.

• Love
Reactions: kitty_kat, BrainShower, superwacki and 2 others
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
when you try to explain this to other people, they just dont seem to understand that lol. and when they do, they look for others who are like them to validate it. and when most people base their lifestyles off of materialism, it makes you feel even more isolated 🤷‍♂️

shit is surreal as fuck. makes you think that life is almost like some type of simulation when most folks around you follow that kind of lifestyle like sheep and you're just singled out from all of that mess
yes, 100%. i chose to be unapologetically me in hopes it'd help me find others like that, & i'd finally find my people, or @ least My Person. that wasn't the case @ all🧸it just further cemented my alienation when i realized virtually no1 else (esp my age) knows or even thinks this.

prob the only reason i'm grateful for my isolation, is bc all of the things it allowed me to see abt ppl/the world/society, that i never would've been able to otherwise. i almost feel like i can't fault the 'sheep' for plodding along. it's nearly impossible to see things for how they truly are when you're a participant.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, superwacki and divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
Does collecting plush toys count as materialistic? I guess I am, if thats the case, but they provide me comfort because it's hard to find comfort with other humans...
No not at all we all have something we cling to for comfort.

• Love
Reactions: kitty_kat, tbroken, hikikomorizombie and 3 others
superwacki

superwacki

Violent Member
Dec 9, 2023
that isn't materialistic at all

materialism is a type of mindset where one is SUPER concerned with objects they find as satisfaction, or the acquisition of wealth and material possessions, rather than with spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values. in the case of materialism, you want to have things simply just to have it. to easily put it, its where your wants overlap your needs, and you live based off of those wants.

you dont fall into that category because the plush toys provide you the warmth you struggle to find out of people. this is a different story. what you need is comfort from others, and since it is difficult for you to find that within people, you use plushies as a replacement

Reactions: kitty_kat, Linda, sserafim and 2 others
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Yeah, I hate how materialistic everyone is. It comes off across as super superficial, shallow and fake. I also hate how the vast majority of people are governed by herd mentality and groupthink, and how they always conform to the norm. It's like they can't think for themselves. I also hate how the world runs on money, literally everything in this world is about and depends on money. I hate how my peers flaunt their best lives on Instagram, pose in their designer clothing and luxury brands, and show off their fancy vacations. It's like they don't care about what's actually meaningful.

Last edited:
Reactions: superwacki, Linda and divinemistress36
superwacki

superwacki

Violent Member
Dec 9, 2023
@Malaria this is gonna sound hella silly but bro u should check out this plushie

if i had this i would treat it as if it were my baby like look at this thing its so precious. im not the type of person to cuddle a plushie but if i had this i would fall asleep with it beside me every single night

• Love
Reactions: Malaria and divinemistress36
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
@Malaria this is gonna sound hella silly but bro u should check out this plushie

if i had this i would treat it as if it were my baby like look at this thing its so precious. im not the type of person to cuddle a plushie but if i had this i would fall asleep with it beside me every single night
That's adorable! I recently got a plush of Cirno from Touhou, which looks like this:

• Love
Reactions: superwacki
superwacki

superwacki

Violent Member
Dec 9, 2023
Yeah, I hate how materialistic everyone is. It comes off across as super superficial, shallow and fake. I also hate how the vast majority of people are governed by herd mentality and groupthink, and how they always conform to the norm. It's like they can't think for themselves. I also hate how the world runs on money, literally everything in this world is about and depends on money. I hate how my peers flaunt their best lives on Instagram, pose in their designer clothing and luxury brands, and show off their fancy vacations. It's like they don't care about what's actually meaningful. They all seem like sheep to me.
the majority of the modern society is like a game of puppets

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
the majority of the modern society is like a game of puppets
Yeah, everyone seems like sheep to me. They're all governed by external forces like society and the system, and their goal is to conform to it and succeed within it. They don't even know themselves or what they truly want. I feel like there's a disconnect from the self.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Linda and superwacki
superwacki

superwacki

Violent Member
Dec 9, 2023
What about me? Do I have them too?
I'd say so. You really care about things that bring meaning rather than things of no value. You seem very wise and at the same time you're unfazed by these pointless ass views that has gripped society nowadays. i respect you a lot for looking at the bigger picture and refusing to fit into such standards

Reactions: sserafim and Linda
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
It is not meaningless to them.

Reactions: sserafim
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
They derive something from it. While hoarding might seem meaningless to a minimalist like me, they experience it differently.

And who decides if something has meaning or not than each person.

Reactions: Relic, superwacki, sserafim and 1 other person
SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
One painting's is worth more than most people. Such a weird savage fetish, ONE particular copy of something that's easily copyable

The one I have in mind is a picture of a person. It's valued far more than she was

Reactions: BrainShower, superwacki and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
One painting's is worth more than most people. Such a weird savage fetish, ONE particular copy of something that's easily copyable

The one I have in mind is a picture of a person. It's valued far more than she was
The Mona Lisa? People say that I have the same smile as her lol

Last edited:
Reactions: BrainShower
superwacki

superwacki

Violent Member
Dec 9, 2023
They derive something from it. While hoarding might seem meaningless to a minimalist like me, they experience it differently.

And who decides if something has meaning or not than each person.
thats a fair take

Reactions: R_N and sserafim
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
I think you do
Yes, you are always analyzing those around you and what their emotions mean. Searching for a meaning of life and searching for spirituality . A lot of people in their 20s are focused on superficial shit. At least that's the vibe I get from you on here

Reactions: superwacki and sserafim
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
All you really need these days is a phone, a simple way to get from point A to B, a bed & 7 sets of clothing. The Uber wealthy understand this.

Reactions: divinemistress36 and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
All you really need these days is a phone, a simple way to get from point A to B, a bed & 7 sets of clothing. The Uber wealthy understand this.

Non-attachment ftw

Reactions: MatrixPrisoner and tbroken