• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
I might be starting an apprenticeship at a restaurant/pub soon and drop out of college. It's pretty exciting I guess, except my social life will probably come to a standstill. I'm 17, so most people I'd be working with would be considerably older and wouldn't exactly be considered my friends due to the age gap.

I've got some friends now but I only see them at college, it's pretty rare for me to see them outside of that already. So starting an apprenticeship would mean never seeing them and losing contact. Which means I'd be friendless, and obviously I want to avoid that.

So.. how would I go about making friends if I started this apprenticeship? I'm stupidly paranoid and awkward and as far as I know the youth groups in my area are more for younger teens. I don't have any real hobbies or anything like that either, I'm.. pretty boring, honestly.

Edit: I'm starting a part-time job soon and one of my friends works there too, so it's not completely awful, providing I can juggle the apprenticeship with the job. I'm still anxious about what would happen if I couldn't carry on with my job, though.

Last edited:
SweetSide

SweetSide

May 4, 2019
Well you've got THE question.
Lots of people in this forum have troubles to make friends.
So unfortunately, I don't have any solution to this problem.
However, do you want friends or acquaintances ?
It's not the same thing.
In a job, you can make acquaintances more easily than friends.
A true friend is rare, an acquaintance is more common but less valuable.

Reactions: Empty Smile, marcusuk63, SkyBlue and 2 others
SkyBlue

SkyBlue

Dec 15, 2018
I have to admit I don't have any utterly satisfying answer atm, and I don't want to spam you with unripe and untested advice. My bet is that finding something you like doing, and finding a group of like-minded people would be the best - joining a club, sports team etc. Also my experience is, that if there is anything worth maintaining, there's a significant chance it'll outlast changes like this. Maybe you can discover some more ways.

On another note: I only just read your education thread not long ago, and now you already seem to be on a new track... I'm glad you can find something good in it, but... whoa, things are moving so quick with you. Is there really absolutely no way of saving your education? I have a similar problem, and I've been wracking my brains out. Better is always better...

Reactions: 15dec
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
I have to admit I don't have any utterly satisfying answer atm, and I don't want to spam you with unripe and untested advice. My bet is that finding something you like doing, and finding a group of like-minded people would be the best - joining a club, sports team etc. Also my experience is, that if there is anything worth maintaining, there's a significant chance it'll outlast changes like this. Maybe you can discover some more ways.

On another note: I only just read your education thread not long ago, and now you already seem to be on a new track... I'm glad you can find something good in it, but... whoa, things are moving so quick with you. Is there really absolutely no way of saving your education? I have a similar problem, and I've been wracking my brains out. Better is always better...
Thanks for the advice :) I'll see if I can find anything like that. And yeah, you're right about valuable friendships continuing, hopefully some of mine will if I do get the apprenticeship. But I think I'd lose contact with almost everyone at least :/

I have no idea, if that first placement doesn't count then I'm screwed. The apprenticeship will still get me qualifications at least, it'll just take a bit longer. I've got an interview but nothing is set in stone yet so I'm mostly looking for advice in advance in case they do hire me.