WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
I was adopted at birth into a very well-off family who have always financially supported me, and it feels wrong to plan to ctb when they still support me and I don't have financial problems.

I think my issues started when I was bullied as a child. I've always been very kind and quiet, and some people identified it as a weakness, and I was bullied relentlessly over several summers. I believe that's when my social anxiety started.

My parents sent me to an exceptional private school which was very demanding. My social anxiety combined with the stress of the school drove me into depression, and one day when I was 17 years old, I just couldn't get myself out of bed to go to school anymore. I wasn't suicidal, just completely demotivated. My parents didn't know what to do, so, on the recommendation of my therapist (whom I had been forced to see for a couple years because my parents thought I played too many video games), I was sent to one of the best psychiatric wards for teens in the area.

In this ward, I was exposed to and learned about maladaptive coping mechanisms, such as self-harm and suicidal ideation. I wasn't in the psychiatric ward very long - they figured out an antidepressant regimen for me and found me a psychiatrist, and sent me on my way. Once I was out of the ward, I started having thoughts of self-harm for the first time, as I had just learned about it and the possibility that it could help alleviate my existential anguish. I shallowly harmed myself a couple times, once with a knife, once with my own fingernails, but it did nothing for me. I started having more and more thoughts of suicide, but never formed a plan. These thoughts of suicide had me in-and-out of the psychiatric ward for the next several weeks. I tried going back to school again, but I still couldn't handle it, as I was still very depressed and wished to end my existence.

Since I failed at my first and only attempt to go back to school since the onset of my depression, my parents did not know what to do, and they were very worried about my safety because I had expressed that I did not want to live. My psychiatrist recommended a wilderness therapy program, and so that's where I went. Throughout issues with my mental illness, my parents would pretty much unquestioningly do whatever the "professional" recommended. Wilderness "therapy" was an absolute nightmare. Stripped of my belongings, I lived in the Blue Ridge mountains in Georgia for six weeks, hiking all day long, exposed to the elements, sheltering under a small blue tarp at night. This was not conducive to the mental health of a 17-year-old who suffered from depression. Every day I cried and just wanted to go home. I was able to write letters to my parents, and begged them to let me come home, but they wouldn't budge. My wilderness therapist told them I would try to convince them of this and not to give in. Eventually the six weeks were up, and I thought I would be able to come home finally, but my wilderness therapist recommended after care in the form of a "therapeutic" boarding school.

This boarding school was the single worst experience of my life. I was essentially imprisoned there for 18 months, until I was almost 19 years old. I legally could have left when I turned 18, but my parents would not have allowed me to return home, and I would have had nowhere to go.

The rules at the boarding school were bewildering. There were around 100 students there of both genders, but we were expressly forbidden from having any sort of romantic relationship. There was also this concept of bans, that any advisor could decide to put you on. These bans had dubious therapeutic value. Usually one was banned from talking to a specific group of students, such as new students, or the opposite sex, or the same sex. However, one could be banned from literally anything, such as looking in the mirror or even speaking. Students were forbidden from saying any sort of curse word. We were not allowed to own any personal electronics, except for a low-end laptop expressly for school work. These laptops had no internet access and were periodically seized for inspection, to ensure students did not have any other applications besides MS Paint and a word processing application. Since no students had cell phones, we had minimal contact with friends from the outside, although we were permitted to write them pre-approved letters. There was no internet access of any kind (even supervised), and we could only call our parents once a week using a landline in a phone room provided by the school. We were never allowed to leave the school grounds except on very rare trips for bowling or to the movies, or when our parents visited. Students only got to travel home for a single, few-day home visit near the end of their stays. We were also subjected to drug tests at any time.

Consistent disregard to the rules would get a student sent to suspension, where you were basically locked in single room of desks with other students, outside of attending classes and one hour of exercise. You were disallowed from talking to anyone besides staff. Advisors could also arbitrarily decide to send you to suspension for therapeutic reasons. Disregard to a major rule, such as romance or leaving campus, would cause a student to be immediately sent back to wilderness therapy.

We attended normal classes during the weekdays, but consistently had group therapy three times a week and workshops about once every two months. Therapy at the boarding school was terrifying. I don't think anyone should have to feel terror when about to go into a group therapy session, but that was a consistent feeling for all students. The school's style of therapy was "tough love." Advisors would yell at and criticize students for anything and everything, in an effort to break them down so they could build them back up again. Students were encouraged to join in on this criticism as well, especially during workshops.

The workshops had some of the most screwed-up exercises which could in no way be conducive to mental health. Two exercises I will never forgot: Harshest Judgment and Lifeboat. Harshest Judgment consisted of sitting in a circle with all of your peers. One student would be chosen as the target, and every single peer would tell that student what their harshest judgment of that person was. These judgments were completely unfiltered, such as "You think you're better than everyone else and I don't like you at all" and "You are a selfish piece of shit and are incapable of love." Most of my peers resented me, because I had the highest GPA and I felt like I did not belong at the school because I had never done drugs before (most students were there for drug-related issues). Imagine having every single one of your peers at school telling you their worst possible thoughts about you. How is that supposed to be therapeutic? The school's argument was that these thoughts were just projections of the criticizer's own issues, but there is no way that subjecting a student to receive these projections is beneficial to their psyche or self-esteem.

Lifeboat was a hypothetical situation where all peers where on a sinking ship together, and there were only three seats in the lifeboat to escape death. Everyone but three students had to die, and we had to choose amongst ourselves who would live and who would die. We were forced to individually speak to one another, telling others exactly why you chose for them to live or die. Since most of my peers resented me for my academic success and no glaring issues outside of depression, they all chose for me to die. Every single one of my peers told me why I deserved to die. Again, how is that therapeutic? Thankfully this school has since closed its doors for good as bad word spread about it.

I finally graduated from the boarding school and prepared to attend college. Being free of the chains of that boarding school was the biggest relief I had ever felt. I could finally play video games again, listen to music, and see my friends. However, the school left me in no way prepared for the real world, especially in terms of personal relationships. I hugged people way more than was necessary, and I was sometimes brutally honest with people, as that was how the boarding school had taught me to interact with others. I had no idea how to pursue someone of the opposite sex in romance, as I never had the opportunity to do so beforehand. My college only had about 1800 students attending, and everyone pretty much knew of all the other students, even if they didn't know them by name. Because I was so socially unprepared for college and the college was small, I felt like I was painted as one of the weird kids and felt alienated. My lack of social success, especially in finding a romantic partner, brought me into a deep depression, and I eventually dropped out of school and returned home.

I found a job working at a gym, as fitness had become a great outlet for my depression. Around this time, I became aware of how socially maladjusted my boarding school had left me, and learned how to interact better with others, especially those of the opposite sex. My job was fine until I got a new manager, who was incompetent and heartless. I again sank into a deep depression, wished for death, and quit that job. This bout of depression lasted about 10 months, until my father told me he was going to kick me to the curb unless I got a new job or went back to school. So I hastily decided to go back to school and applied to a solid nearby college without fully considering my options.

It took me five additional years to finish my undergraduate degree, as I fought with bouts of depression and anxiety and had to change majors because my original major was too stressful. However, I eventually pulled myself together academically in fall 2017 and graduated near the top of my class in spring 2019. I was accepted to a master's program at my school with a scholarship. For the first time in my life, I was succeeding and felt great about myself.

I was almost halfway through my master's program in November 2019 when I came down with a nasty, persistent infection that required surgery. I had a 4.0 GPA in the program, but had to take a leave of absence and wait to continue the program 12 months later. It was a major blow to my life and was so disheartening. I tried to find a job after I recovered from surgery, but my recovery was long, and by the time I was better, COVID was on the horizon. I was about to be officially hired for an awesome job doing something I love, when the hiring company enacted a hiring freeze because of the pandemic. That's when I really started feeling depressed again, but I was still hanging in there, just quarantining with my girlfriend, weed, and video games.

However, near the end of May, I stupidly exposed myself to a power tool without protecting my hearing. My ear had already suffered a major acoustic trauma two years previously, but I thought I had recovered, and I didn't think the power tool could be dangerously loud. The power tool really screwed up my ear this time, and I have now had incessant ringing in my right ear for almost two months. Not only that, but the ear injury triggered some sort of vestibular disorder, and now I have more trouble focusing my eyes, I see more floaters, and I see flashes of light that aren't there. These new ailments destroyed me mentally, and I was so absorbed in my own misery that my girlfriend left me, because I wasn't being attentive to her needs.

Now I'm all alone, with two new ailments – tinnitus and vestibular disorder. There is no cure for either of these illnesses and I'm just supposed to learn to live with this. I don't think I can learn to live with this. Life was already hard enough, and now I'm supposed to endure 24/7 ringing in my ears and vision changes? I can't enjoy my main hobby anymore – competitive video games like Valorant, because I need headphones for directional sound, and I can't wear headphones because my ears are so damaged. When I play other games, I have to keep the volume quite low, too low to fully enjoy any game. Gaming and my girlfriend were my only sources of happiness during the isolation of quarantine, and they are both gone. I haven't been this suicidal in ages.

I should have everything I need for SN suicide in a few days. However, I can't help but thinking I don't have the right to end my own life. My parents see the agony I am in and are trying so hard to help me, and they continue to support me financially. But I can't endure the isolation of COVID along with my new lifelong ailments. It's just too much.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, hello570, Georgii and 8 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
What a story. I'm sending you lots of empathy and compassion.

I am also adopted and have a question. Do you feel like your parents made an investment when they adopted you?

• Hugs
Reactions: KleinerWolf
WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
Thanks GoodPersonEffed.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by an investment, but I do absolutely feel like a leech on their money. I should have been supporting myself by now

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
You do have a valid reason to feel depression. You're title alone resonated with me because my entire life I told myself I don't deserve these disorders. I'm complaining about a paper cut. Every day I'd put myself down and make myself feel worse. You feel what you're feeling for a reason. My friend shared this thing with me about anger. It was something about you get angry because you feel someone crossed a line and that's ok because we need boundries. Or something like that. But really it counts for all emotions not just anger. You feel the way you're feeling for a reason. Don't forget that :)

Reactions: WillOxyWork
WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
You do have a valid reason to feel depression. You're title alone resonated with me because my entire life I told myself I don't deserve these disorders. I'm complaining about a paper cut. Every day I'd put myself down and make myself feel worse. You feel what you're feeling for a reason. My friend shared this thing with me about anger. It was something about you get angry because you feel someone crossed a line and that's ok because we need boundries. Or something like that. But really it counts for all emotions not just anger. You feel the way you're feeling for a reason. Don't forget that :)

Thank you Life_And_Death :). What disorders do you suffer from?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Thanks GoodPersonEffed.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by an investment, but I do absolutely feel like a leech on their money. I should have been supporting myself by now

I think if you felt this way, it would have made sense.

I've had the thought for years that my parents considered me a bad investment. They had to come up with money for an adoption, and I was never who or what they wanted me to be. They never said this that I'm aware of, but it makes sense. My mom used to say they picked me out special, and I felt special because of that, but then she'd get upset with me for bragging that I was adopted. So I don't think it was about me in particular, but that they specifically wanted a white female newborn, and waited for exactly what they wanted despite pressure from the agency to ease up on some requirements for a faster placement. I was the prize, only I ended up not being a prize because I didn't have a docile temperament. (I'm 49 btw, my parents are baby boomers, probably a different generation than yours, docility in females was a big thing for them.)

Also, a lot of adopted children feel more obligation to their parents than do non-adopted kids, for a variety of possible reasons.

So I was wondering if perhaps you felt somehow indebted to your parents because of being adopted and hence felt guilty because of it. The investment thing is my thing.

Not projecting anything onto you here, just pondering your dilemma from the adoption perspective. And I've never asked another adopted person about the investment issue before.

Last edited:
CynicalHopelessness

CynicalHopelessness

Messenger of Silence
Jan 9, 2020
Wow, that's heavy heartbreaking experiences you've been through.

You don't need to ask for a right to feel suicidal. Feelings don't really subject themselves to control by moral frameworks. There's never "enough" suffering or hopelessness below which you can't feel suicidal - you either do or don't, whatever your life conditions are, and it's always valid.

That being said, you've been through man-made hell factory for mentally ill teens and your physical health makes your future prospects seem dark. That could drive even mentally stable adults to suicide, let alone somebody already in a vulnerable position.

I hope you find peace, whatever path you choose :heart:

WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
I think if you felt this way, it would have made sense.

I've had the thought for years that my parents considered me a bad investment. They had to come up with money for an adoption, and I was never who or what they wanted me to be. They never said this that I'm aware of, but it makes sense. My mom used to say they picked me out special, and I felt special because of that, but then she'd get upset with me for bragging that I was adopted. So I don't think it was about me in particular, but that they specifically wanted a white female newborn, and waited for exactly what they wanted despite pressure from the agency to ease up on some requirements for a faster placement. I was the prize, only I ended up not being a prize because I didn't have a docile temperament. (I'm 49 btw, my parents are baby boomers, probably a different generation than yours, docility in females was a big thing for them.)

Also, a lot of adopted children feel more obligation to their parents than do non-adopted kids, for a variety of possible reasons.

So I was wondering if perhaps you felt somehow indebted to your parents because of being adopted and hence felt guilty because of it. The investment thing is my thing.

Not projecting anything onto you here, just pondering your dilemma from the adoption perspective. And I've never asked another adopted person about the investment issue before.

I'm sorry that you feel like your parents considered you a bad investment. That's awful.

My adoption has honestly not had much of an effect on me. My parents were very open about telling me that I was adopted, and I always considered them my true parents. For some reason though, they have always been very hush about telling other people that I am adopted. It may be shame because I think my mother had lost her ability to have children by the time she wanted them with my dad. She may have miscarried at some point, but I'm really not sure. They had both been married before, and they adopted me when they were in their early 40s. I just turned 28 the other day.

I don't feel indebted to them, just guilty they're still paying for me about 7 years after most parents stop. And I'll feel guilty for leaving them behind now after all that they've done for me. It just feels so wrong to do that to them. My dad has fought so hard for me through so many hardships. But now that I feel cursed with two permanent health issues I just feel like all hope is lost.
Wow, that's heavy heartbreaking experiences you've been through.

You don't need to ask for a right to feel suicidal. Feelings don't really subject themselves to control by moral frameworks. There's never "enough" suffering or hopelessness below which you can't feel suicidal - you either do or don't, whatever your life conditions are, and it's always valid.

That being said, you've been through man-made hell factory for mentally ill teens and your physical health makes your future prospects seem dark. That could drive even mentally stable adults to suicide, let alone somebody already in a vulnerable position.

I hope you find peace, whatever path you choose :heart:

Thank you. I truly appreciate your input

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Thank you Life_And_Death :). What disorders do you suffer from?
(don't quote me as I'm still getting my diagnosis done but I've done A LOT of research so I'm fairly confiedent I'm accurate) cptsd, ptsd, a few different anxieties, bpd, depersonalization/derealization dissorder, and something is causing visual hallucinations. I know there's a few more (most of them minor ones like capgras syndrome) but I keep forgetting.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lastsauce
WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
Jesus that's terrible. I'm so sorry you're enduring so much of that. I send you all my empathy <3

• Love
Reactions: Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Jesus that's terrible. I'm so sorry you're enduring so much of that. I send you all my empathy <3
Thank you :) actually I found this site has helped a lot. It's almost like I can't do anything wrong. And there's no expectations. And people actually understand me. I'm sorry they have to understand but it's nice not being completely alone :)

R

Redrum

Jun 17, 2020
I was adopted at birth into a very well-off family who have always financially supported me, and it feels wrong to plan to ctb when they still support me and I don't have financial problems.

I think my issues started when I was bullied as a child. I've always been very kind and quiet, and some people identified it as a weakness, and I was bullied relentlessly over several summers. I believe that's when my social anxiety started.

My parents sent me to an exceptional private school which was very demanding. My social anxiety combined with the stress of the school drove me into depression, and one day when I was 17 years old, I just couldn't get myself out of bed to go to school anymore. I wasn't suicidal, just completely demotivated. My parents didn't know what to do, so, on the recommendation of my therapist (whom I had been forced to see for a couple years because my parents thought I played too many video games), I was sent to one of the best psychiatric wards for teens in the area.

In this ward, I was exposed to and learned about maladaptive coping mechanisms, such as self-harm and suicidal ideation. I wasn't in the psychiatric ward very long - they figured out an antidepressant regimen for me and found me a psychiatrist, and sent me on my way. Once I was out of the ward, I started having thoughts of self-harm for the first time, as I had just learned about it and the possibility that it could help alleviate my existential anguish. I shallowly harmed myself a couple times, once with a knife, once with my own fingernails, but it did nothing for me. I started having more and more thoughts of suicide, but never formed a plan. These thoughts of suicide had me in-and-out of the psychiatric ward for the next several weeks. I tried going back to school again, but I still couldn't handle it, as I was still very depressed and wished to end my existence.

Since I failed at my first and only attempt to go back to school since the onset of my depression, my parents did not know what to do, and they were very worried about my safety because I had expressed that I did not want to live. My psychiatrist recommended a wilderness therapy program, and so that's where I went. Throughout issues with my mental illness, my parents would pretty much unquestioningly do whatever the "professional" recommended. Wilderness "therapy" was an absolute nightmare. Stripped of my belongings, I lived in the Blue Ridge mountains in Georgia for six weeks, hiking all day long, exposed to the elements, sheltering under a small blue tarp at night. This was not conducive to the mental health of a 17-year-old who suffered from depression. Every day I cried and just wanted to go home. I was able to write letters to my parents, and begged them to let me come home, but they wouldn't budge. My wilderness therapist told them I would try to convince them of this and not to give in. Eventually the six weeks were up, and I thought I would be able to come home finally, but my wilderness therapist recommended after care in the form of a "therapeutic" boarding school.

This boarding school was the single worst experience of my life. I was essentially imprisoned there for 18 months, until I was almost 19 years old. I legally could have left when I turned 18, but my parents would not have allowed me to return home, and I would have had nowhere to go.

The rules at the boarding school were bewildering. There were around 100 students there of both genders, but we were expressly forbidden from having any sort of romantic relationship. There was also this concept of bans, that any advisor could decide to put you on. These bans had dubious therapeutic value. Usually one was banned from talking to a specific group of students, such as new students, or the opposite sex, or the same sex. However, one could be banned from literally anything, such as looking in the mirror or even speaking. Students were forbidden from saying any sort of curse word. We were not allowed to own any personal electronics, except for a low-end laptop expressly for school work. These laptops had no internet access and were periodically seized for inspection, to ensure students did not have any other applications besides MS Paint and a word processing application. Since no students had cell phones, we had minimal contact with friends from the outside, although we were permitted to write them pre-approved letters. There was no internet access of any kind (even supervised), and we could only call our parents once a week using a landline in a phone room provided by the school. We were never allowed to leave the school grounds except on very rare trips for bowling or to the movies, or when our parents visited. Students only got to travel home for a single, few-day home visit near the end of their stays. We were also subjected to drug tests at any time.

Consistent disregard to the rules would get a student sent to suspension, where you were basically locked in single room of desks with other students, outside of attending classes and one hour of exercise. You were disallowed from talking to anyone besides staff. Advisors could also arbitrarily decide to send you to suspension for therapeutic reasons. Disregard to a major rule, such as romance or leaving campus, would cause a student to be immediately sent back to wilderness therapy.

We attended normal classes during the weekdays, but consistently had group therapy three times a week and workshops about once every two months. Therapy at the boarding school was terrifying. I don't think anyone should have to feel terror when about to go into a group therapy session, but that was a consistent feeling for all students. The school's style of therapy was "tough love." Advisors would yell at and criticize students for anything and everything, in an effort to break them down so they could build them back up again. Students were encouraged to join in on this criticism as well, especially during workshops.

The workshops had some of the most screwed-up exercises which could in no way be conducive to mental health. Two exercises I will never forgot: Harshest Judgment and Lifeboat. Harshest Judgment consisted of sitting in a circle with all of your peers. One student would be chosen as the target, and every single peer would tell that student what their harshest judgment of that person was. These judgments were completely unfiltered, such as "You think you're better than everyone else and I don't like you at all" and "You are a selfish piece of shit and are incapable of love." Most of my peers resented me, because I had the highest GPA and I felt like I did not belong at the school because I had never done drugs before (most students were there for drug-related issues). Imagine having every single one of your peers at school telling you their worst possible thoughts about you. How is that supposed to be therapeutic? The school's argument was that these thoughts were just projections of the criticizer's own issues, but there is no way that subjecting a student to receive these projections is beneficial to their psyche or self-esteem.

Lifeboat was a hypothetical situation where all peers where on a sinking ship together, and there were only three seats in the lifeboat to escape death. Everyone but three students had to die, and we had to choose amongst ourselves who would live and who would die. We were forced to individually speak to one another, telling others exactly why you chose for them to live or die. Since most of my peers resented me for my academic success and no glaring issues outside of depression, they all chose for me to die. Every single one of my peers told me why I deserved to die. Again, how is that therapeutic? Thankfully this school has since closed its doors for good as bad word spread about it.

I finally graduated from the boarding school and prepared to attend college. Being free of the chains of that boarding school was the biggest relief I had ever felt. I could finally play video games again, listen to music, and see my friends. However, the school left me in no way prepared for the real world, especially in terms of personal relationships. I hugged people way more than was necessary, and I was sometimes brutally honest with people, as that was how the boarding school had taught me to interact with others. I had no idea how to pursue someone of the opposite sex in romance, as I never had the opportunity to do so beforehand. My college only had about 1800 students attending, and everyone pretty much knew of all the other students, even if they didn't know them by name. Because I was so socially unprepared for college and the college was small, I felt like I was painted as one of the weird kids and felt alienated. My lack of social success, especially in finding a romantic partner, brought me into a deep depression, and I eventually dropped out of school and returned home.

I found a job working at a gym, as fitness had become a great outlet for my depression. Around this time, I became aware of how socially maladjusted my boarding school had left me, and learned how to interact better with others, especially those of the opposite sex. My job was fine until I got a new manager, who was incompetent and heartless. I again sank into a deep depression, wished for death, and quit that job. This bout of depression lasted about 10 months, until my father told me he was going to kick me to the curb unless I got a new job or went back to school. So I hastily decided to go back to school and applied to a solid nearby college without fully considering my options.

It took me five additional years to finish my undergraduate degree, as I fought with bouts of depression and anxiety and had to change majors because my original major was too stressful. However, I eventually pulled myself together academically in fall 2017 and graduated near the top of my class in spring 2019. I was accepted to a master's program at my school with a scholarship. For the first time in my life, I was succeeding and felt great about myself.

I was almost halfway through my master's program in November 2019 when I came down with a nasty, persistent infection that required surgery. I had a 4.0 GPA in the program, but had to take a leave of absence and wait to continue the program 12 months later. It was a major blow to my life and was so disheartening. I tried to find a job after I recovered from surgery, but my recovery was long, and by the time I was better, COVID was on the horizon. I was about to be officially hired for an awesome job doing something I love, when the hiring company enacted a hiring freeze because of the pandemic. That's when I really started feeling depressed again, but I was still hanging in there, just quarantining with my girlfriend, weed, and video games.

However, near the end of May, I stupidly exposed myself to a power tool without protecting my hearing. My ear had already suffered a major acoustic trauma two years previously, but I thought I had recovered, and I didn't think the power tool could be dangerously loud. The power tool really screwed up my ear this time, and I have now had incessant ringing in my right ear for almost two months. Not only that, but the ear injury triggered some sort of vestibular disorder, and now I have more trouble focusing my eyes, I see more floaters, and I see flashes of light that aren't there. These new ailments destroyed me mentally, and I was so absorbed in my own misery that my girlfriend left me, because I wasn't being attentive to her needs.

Now I'm all alone, with two new ailments – tinnitus and vestibular disorder. There is no cure for either of these illnesses and I'm just supposed to learn to live with this. I don't think I can learn to live with this. Life was already hard enough, and now I'm supposed to endure 24/7 ringing in my ears and vision changes? I can't enjoy my main hobby anymore – competitive video games like Valorant, because I need headphones for directional sound, and I can't wear headphones because my ears are so damaged. When I play other games, I have to keep the volume quite low, too low to fully enjoy any game. Gaming and my girlfriend were my only sources of happiness during the isolation of quarantine, and they are both gone. I haven't been this suicidal in ages.

I should have everything I need for SN suicide in a few days. However, I can't help but thinking I don't have the right to end my own life. My parents see the agony I am in and are trying so hard to help me, and they continue to support me financially. But I can't endure the isolation of COVID along with my new lifelong ailments. It's just too much.
You're an incredible writer, I hope you feel better soon.

• Love
Reactions: WillOxyWork and Oyoy
D

Disco Biscuit

Specialist
Mar 1, 2020
You have every right to feel suicidal if that's what you feel. You've been through a lot. Were you at CEDU?

WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
You have every right to feel suicidal if that's what you feel. You've been through a lot. Were you at CEDU?
No I wasn't. I'm wary of posting too much personal information here so I don't want to tell you exactly what school I went to, but it wasn't CEDU.

WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
You've been through a lot of terribly traumatic experiences, I'm truly sorry that you've gone through all of that. You absolutely have a right to feel how you feel and make choices that you believe will serve your best interests. No one can take that away from you. Having loving parents and not having a financial burden doesn't negate any of the struggles you have.

I can relate to recently having hearing loss and vision issues around the start of the new year. I'm 26. The hearing loss was the most devastating as music, whether just in songs or soundtracks to games, movies, etc., has always been my primary coping mechanism and source of joy during my depressive episodes. It's one of the main reasons I'm here.

Have you seen any medical professional about your ailments at all? I don't know what country you're in but things are easing up a bit with Covid where I am. Is that not something you think you can wait out at all?

GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
I have tinnitus and floaters. My theory is people with depression/anxiety/OCD are affected by them more; that they - or rather their subconscious reactions to them - are linked to areas of the brain responsible for mental illness. I've had both for around ten years and was very suicidal at first. For me now my main reason is 'simply' depression.

WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
You've been through a lot of terribly traumatic experiences, I'm truly sorry that you've gone through all of that. You absolutely have a right to feel how you feel and make choices that you believe will serve your best interests. No one can take that away from you. Having loving parents and not having a financial burden doesn't negate any of the struggles you have.

I can relate to recently having hearing loss and vision issues around the start of the new year. I'm 26. The hearing loss was the most devastating as music, whether just in songs or soundtracks to games, movies, etc., has always been my primary coping mechanism and source of joy during my depressive episodes. It's one of the main reasons I'm here.

Have you seen any medical professional about your ailments at all? I don't know what country you're in but things are easing up a bit with Covid where I am. Is that not something you think you can wait out at all?
That is so awful to hear you have hearing loss. I can't really enjoy music anymore as well, as the tinnitus distorts it. It truly is devastating.

What are your vision issues like?

My state has been handling Covid relatively well and I have already seen two reputable ENTs who basically said I need to learn to live this.

WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
That is so awful to hear you have hearing loss. I can't really enjoy music anymore as well, as the tinnitus distorts it. It truly is devastating.

What are your vision issues like?

My state has been handling Covid relatively well and I have already seen two reputable ENTs who basically said I need to learn to live this.

Yeah, it is pretty terrible. I'm sorry you have to deal with tinnitus, wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I have it too as a result of my hearing loss.
I went to one ENT at the end of January who gave me some steroids and said I had a lot of inflammation but since I was young and healthy it should clear up. It didn't.

I have flashes, random dimming of vision, decreased night vision, and loss of contrast acuity. So in dim scenes in shows, I can't make out much. Difficult to see things that have similar colors to the background which happens more than you'd expect. I have shaky vision as well and some dry eye symptoms. Ophthalmologists say I should be fine. I'm not.

WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
Yeah, it is pretty terrible. I'm sorry you have to deal with tinnitus, wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I have it too as a result of my hearing loss.
I went to one ENT at the end of January who gave me some steroids and said I had a lot of inflammation but since I was young and healthy it should clear up. It didn't.

I have flashes, random dimming of vision, decreased night vision, and loss of contrast acuity. So in dim scenes in shows, I can't make out much. Difficult to see things that have similar colors to the background which happens more than you'd expect. I have shaky vision as well and some dry eye symptoms. Ophthalmologists say I should be fine. I'm not.
Do you know what caused your hearing loss?

Your visual symptoms sound brutal, I'm sorry. There's definitely a connection between ear damage and vision that science doesn't really understand yet. I theorize that the brain is making maladaptive adjustments to neural pathways when the ear is damaged, and unfortunately these pathways are closely tied to visual neurons as well.

WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
Do you know what caused your hearing loss?

Your visual symptoms sound brutal, I'm sorry. There's definitely a connection between ear damage and vision that science doesn't really understand yet. I theorize that the brain is making maladaptive adjustments to neural pathways when the ear is damaged, and unfortunately these pathways are closely tied to visual neurons as well.

I have no idea what caused the hearing loss unfortunately. I could try another ENT but most likely, they're just going to tell me there's nothing they can do.

But thanks. I can live with the vision issues provided they don't get worse. It's more annoying than anything else. I can still see most things during the day.
That's a great theory actually! I did have both issues around the same time so I can see how that might factor into things.
Man, I'd give anything to just wake up and be fine, just like I woke up one day with these issues.

Hurtstomuch.

Hurtstomuch.

Feb 13, 2020
Hey, I cant be of any help but just wanted to say what an amazing writer you are, and that I'm so sorry for your shitty experiences I cant even imagine how you have coped through all that. And no matter what up bringing you have it's ok to not be ok. If it makes you feel any better my mum had me really young so my support has always been my nan and I feel guilty because I'm 25, 2 kids and I cant work due to there ages so at the age off 25 my nan is still bailing me out of debts and buying my food shopping and I feel so much guilt and feel like such a failure especially because of my emotional state that I'm in the problems I'm having I feel guilty I feel like this when I have someone like my nan in my life. And I'm really sorry about your vision and your hearing, I hope you can get it sorted X

Reactions: FreddieQuell
WillOxyWork

WillOxyWork

Student
Jul 4, 2020
Hey, I cant be of any help but just wanted to say what an amazing writer you are, and that I'm so sorry for your shitty experiences I cant even imagine how you have coped through all that. And no matter what up bringing you have it's ok to not be ok. If it makes you feel any better my mum had me really young so my support has always been my nan and I feel guilty because I'm 25, 2 kids and I cant work due to there ages so at the age off 25 my nan is still bailing me out of debts and buying my food shopping and I feel so much guilt and feel like such a failure especially because of my emotional state that I'm in the problems I'm having I feel guilty I feel like this when I have someone like my nan in my life. And I'm really sorry about your vision and your hearing, I hope you can get it sorted X
Thank you, and I'm so sorry you feel all that guilt. It's very understandable that you feel that way. I hope things can get better for you :)

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Damn, the therapy years sound so awful I can't help myself but to smirk at the absurdity. Sounds like a great place for sadistic folk to practice their dearest deeds without fear of severe repercussions.

I also at first misread your title as "Long I feel like I don't have a right to be suicidal." (It looks just like that in the link section, without the brackets.) As if you felt that for a long time but not anymore.

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I don't like what your parents put you through. We try to think parents fuck up despite meaning well, but maybe not.

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics