Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
Anyone on lithium for depression?
What's your experience with it; did it help your depression, make you numb, give you side effect?
What's it like to be on it?

Reactions: fleetingnight
ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
Lithium is a mood stabilizer. It won't directly treat your depression, but it may help manage some aspects of it. For me, I experience a lot of crying fits & panic attacks. Lithium hasn't made me completely numb, but it has sort of put a cap on my emotions so they don't escalate so severely that I'm freaking out. It's a really gradual effect bc it has to build up in your bloodstream, so you might not even notice that it's helping. But I went from having at least three panic attacks a day to now it's been at least a month since I've had one of that caliber

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, fleetingnight, Felodese and 2 others
Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
Please be extremely careful with it. A good psychiatrist will keep a close eye on your serum levels - and if they're not, they shouldn't be prescribing it. See: https://www.psychotropical.com/lithium-brief-management-protocol-for-doctors-2/
Yeah, the mile long list of serious side effects is one reason I've been hesitant to try it...
Lithium is a mood stabilizer. It won't directly treat your depression, but it may help manage some aspects of it. For me, I experience a lot of crying fits & panic attacks. Lithium hasn't made me completely numb, but it has sort of put a cap on my emotions so they don't escalate so severely that I'm freaking out. It's a really gradual effect bc it has to build up in your bloodstream, so you might not even notice that it's helping. But I went from having at least three panic attacks a day to now it's been at least a month since I've had one of that caliber
Do you feel like it's dampened all emotions, both positive and negative?

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
Yeah, the mile long list of serious side effects is one reason I've been hesitant to try it...
There are newer mood stabilizers with less side effects. I think Lamictal is more common now
Do you feel like it's dampened all emotions, both positive and negative?
Not at all! It's really only dampened my crying fits. I can still feel intensely sad, but it doesn't reach the level of despair where I'm sobbing. I don't think it's affected my positive emotions at all, though when I started it I wasn't really ever feeling any positive emotions.

Last edited:
Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
There are newer mood stabilizers with less side effects. I think Lamictal is more common now
I'm on that right now and it's not really working :notsure:

I don't think it's affected my positive emotions at all, though when I started it I wasn't really ever feeling any positive emotions.
But I take it that you do now?

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
I'm on that right now and it's not really working :notsure:

But I take it that you do now?
Yes! I am feeling a lot more positively now. I'm on Spravato though, and I'd attribute the uplifted mood more to that than the lithium

Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
Yes! I am feeling a lot more positively now. I'm on Spravato though, and I'd attribute the uplifted mood more to that than the lithium
Oh, ok. Yeah, having had ketamine infusions myself, I'd say that makes sense.

Tommen Baratheon

Tommen Baratheon

1+1=3
Dec 26, 2023
Anyone on lithium for depression?
What's your experience with it; did it help your depression, make you numb, give you side effect?
What's it like to be on it?
I've been taking lithium since 1998. As already stated it's a mood stabilizer, but for bipolar disorder. It's doesn't make me numb, but after all those years I sometimes have a tremor in my fingers. My father had the same thing. As for side-effects: I try not to look at those. (Have you taken a look the side-effects of low dose aspirin?)
Please be extremely careful with it. A good psychiatrist will keep a close eye on your serum levels - and if they're not, they shouldn't be prescribing it. See: https://www.psychotropical.com/lithium-brief-management-protocol-for-doctors-2/
"extremely careful" is a bit exaggerated imho. Yes, you need your blood levels checked regularly. In the first place to check if you're on the right dose. Therapeutic levels are between 0.60 and 1.20 mmol/L. Lower = less effective, higher = could be toxic. Your kidneys and thyroid need to be checked as well. I have my blood checked every 6 months and atm I'm at 0.87 mmol/L.

Last edited:
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I personally had no bad effects from lithium and a (week!) of feeling much better. I say it's good stuff and you can always stop it. My dad's friend had twenty stable years on it till he had to stop. An oldie but a goodie and good for the brain/against dementia.

LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
I had lithium for a few weeks and couldn't feel any noticeable effect.

puppybrained

puppybrained

they/them
Jul 15, 2024
i think it dulls my emotions but theyre also less unpredictable and i feel generally less despaired now

quietly_gone

quietly_gone

𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒕𝒏𝒊𝒌 𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 🪐
May 9, 2023
i have experienced emotional "blunting" with my previous antidepressant (paroxetine aka paxil) so i'm no stranger to it, i was kind of expecting it to come back when my psychiatrist put me on lithium based on what i read about it online but to my surprise it didn't happen at all?? it made me a lot less suicidal in a span of 2-3 months which i found so crazy i actually went to read research papers about it lmao. it's a huge help for me.

one thing i've noticed however is that it definitely messed up how my mood works. whenever i'm off lithium i experience a lot of mood swings- something that didn't really happen so often before. once i'm back on it i'm okay again, so it feels like it messed up with something on my brain, as if it can only "regulate" itself while on lithium now

• Hugs
Reactions: not_actually_human
Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
one thing i've noticed however is that it definitely messed up how my mood works. whenever i'm off lithium i experience a lot of mood swings- something that didn't really happen so often before. once i'm back on it i'm okay again, so it feels like it messed up with something on my brain, as if it can only "regulate" itself while on lithium now
Huh. Well, that's something to consider too...

Tommen Baratheon

Tommen Baratheon

1+1=3
Dec 26, 2023
Once you're on it you're not supposed to just quit. Same thing if you're taking quetiapine which is said to block certain receptors in your brain. If you quit it cold turkey there's likely to be a reaction in your brain.

not_actually_human

not_actually_human

indeterminate some.
Nov 12, 2022
i have experienced emotional "blunting" with my previous antidepressant (paroxetine aka paxil) so i'm no stranger to it, i was kind of expecting it to come back when my psychiatrist put me on lithium based on what i read about it online but to my surprise it didn't happen at all?? it made me a lot less suicidal in a span of 2-3 months which i found so crazy i actually went to read research papers about it lmao. it's a huge help for me.

Rant -

Once you're on lithium you/your mind will unwittingly and naturally begin to engage with things that you couldn't before because of the emotions they pertained to, and then once the effects are off, maintaining the same course of life and mental preoccupations, as you naturally would, will mess you up because there's nothing helping your emotions now.
Lithium will only change one variable and thus alter your states, your ability to regulate hasn't changed, since you (what you think) haven't changed. And honestly, I don't think that such a thing as ability to regulate is very valid, it's only knowledge about one's own nature that will help you to not engage with what is just disturbances and instead find fulfillment and answers to the questions of the same disturbances outside of the grieving and despairing. I can't imagine the things (of my emotional states) that I was able to tolerate, I keep saying how I could never bear what I did back there, but ofc, it hasn't changed, to be better or worse, my thoughts and beliefs pertaining to my wounds themselves have the support now that they needed in significant - and thus the recovery that has been attained now. But "ability for" emotional regulation is a wrong and an extremely problematic notion, because it has come to sit in the collective's mind as this thing which is independent of one's inner reality, while once it probably meant something that was there because one had yet to learn what to think with respect to their unqiue and subjective world experience. Sadly, another thing that was mobilized into its current use by ablist actors for the purpose of invalidation.

This "state change" is just a fact of life for all humans, even the most unemotional ones, their feelings will change from moment to moment, and with the same their entire beliefs and worldview might change. It's just that, for us, we've had a history of suicidality, there's an utter unworkability to one's determination of reality, despair and dysfunction follows. And it will keep there, cycling with the states. Everyone's unique innate nature that they have, when there's a deviation from it, will result in all sorts and ranges of psychological afflictions, it will weigh down on one like that. Introducing changes to one's body's functions, external behaviors or biochemical ones, will change things. Intellectual approach is far more effective. Naturally, for that reason, humans have developed cbt/dbt things, although I despise them from what my familiarity with them has been, they are inferior, terribly unscientific works, and they messed me up for this reason, but on the good side, I was able to find the essence of things in it out in time and take up better approaches. But I digress.

The role of medication is only to change the chemicals, do not give them undue credit. You're the one who has been doing the real work. Between the despairing, or hurting the self that there may be, as it usually is, as part of grief, you're the one who's coming to better ideas about how you should be, what you should do and not do.
How you are on lithium isn't a normal that one could strive for or something, it's a mere aid, while your disability and dysfunctions concern your unique and very personal nature.

And I'm not sure if this helps but my experience with lithium was that initially it worked magic, compared to the permutations of those anti-psychotic drugs and ssri that I was put through, and it was great, I had a huge crisis and just one pill fixed it. My psychiatrist was a god and a seer. And then, after like a couple weeks, it didn't work anymore. I took that unworkability of things, in my intellect this time too, independent of my emotional episodes, since my emotions weren't literally driving me to death anymore, and so I began to philosophise and came to suicide as the right, virtuous choice (for me!). In due time however, because there was a bit of a hangup for the same, as their usually is because of physical circumstances and a lack of the same urgency that there used to be before, I was introduced to a possibility of truth of things being different from the determinations that I had arrived at, owing to my life's experience (most all of which was spent being suicidal af and unable to feel safe in the world, so...) and education (intellect was ill-equiped with inadequate education, as is the case for most all people who may as well be highly educated).

Anyway. I had wanted to engage with you since you had, fortunately, resumed posting back here again for support. But I'm not necessarily in ideal shape and therefore won't necessarily be able to say all the right, and helpful things, and so I didn't. Until now, because what the hell I should try to add something. But do forgive how off it may be, I'm still out of whack most of the time. I'm happy to read that you're much less suicidal, this is significant, regardless of what harshness you may experience on ocassions. I'm completely sure you will make the progress, including the part where it's worth it to be sure. No matter how unworkable and literally physically impossible it all may seem, you will get what you want, there's nothing I could believe in more than that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: possessed and quietly_gone