• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

dandan

dandan

One more attempt on life.
Feb 18, 2019
I'm in recovery.
I've had some success.

I am interested in overcoming , dealing and changing limiting beliefs I've gathered during my twenty year long depression.

The work.com and also udemy has a free course of limiting beliefs based on that website.

Does anyone reading this post has have some success in changing some beliefs and living a happier, better life?

Can anyone share some positive insights? Can anyone share anything on the subject?

I'm answering questions based on the udemy and the website shared above, well actually I'm starting making a list of my limiting beliefs.

-need more money to be happy
-need a girl to come back with me to be happy. She's one and only yes.
-ill never like someone as much as her.
-i need to be ready to start living and fighting for my goals.
-im a lousy conversationalists.
-i never know what to say when I'm with people.
-im not worth much with this limiting beliefs.
-i don't have the balls to start doing a cheap startup I've got in mind.
-looking for more....

Yes I fought depression for twenty years I want to give this a go, I now I can succeed too.

Thank you. For a better tomorrow.

Do you have limiting beliefs?

EDIT:
I'm unsure which limiting beliefs to tackle first.
After few more writing I find I do have the limiting beliefs about not being able to make mistakes. Perhaps that's a powerful limiting belief I should work on.

Last edited:
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
I think you are courageous to recognize and tackle restructuring beliefs. One cautionary note. You may wish to make truth the key to belief assessment. This can be useful to identify those beliefs that are false and work to diminish them while helping to identify that which are true and build upon them.

The reason truth is so important is that you want to avoid the trap of taking in a belief that is false but makes you feel good. These sort of beliefs can be very attractive, but set you up for future pain.

• Hugs
Reactions: dandan
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
I'd say start on the getting more money perhaps it might motivate a career change and the others will come to you. I admire your strength in facing your obstacles. Just wish I wasn't such a coward to initiate any change in myself or my circumstances.

moonchild

moonchild

Student
May 8, 2020
I did this in therapy recently. I found it helpful to write them down and be really detailed about it, like write down examples of how the beliefs affect my actions/life. That list can work a bit like a reminder, whenever I feel my thoughts get a bit jumbled.

But I also struggle a lot with distinguishing between truths and beliefs. My therapist really pushed that it's all beliefs, but personally I don't like that approach very much. Like, believe it or not, sometimes my mind can actually make a correct assessment of my life. So I've found it more helpful to challenge a belief, while also acknowledging that at least parts of it might be true. And then work with the belief-part of it, and try to either reframe it or replace it with a more helpful belief. I'm also working on accepting the parts that are true, but without letting it drag me down.

I've only just started out with this, so I don't have a whole lot of advice. But best of luck with your recovery! Trying to overcome limiting beliefs isn't easy, but it's a big step to take.

• Hugs
dandan

dandan

One more attempt on life.
Feb 18, 2019
I did this in therapy recently. I found it helpful to write them down and be really detailed about it, like write down examples of how the beliefs affect my actions/life. That list can work a bit like a reminder, whenever I feel my thoughts get a bit jumbled.

But I also struggle a lot with distinguishing between truths and beliefs. My therapist really pushed that it's all beliefs, but personally I don't like that approach very much. Like, believe it or not, sometimes my mind can actually make a correct assessment of my life. So I've found it more helpful to challenge a belief, while also acknowledging that at least parts of it might be true. And then work with the belief-part of it, and try to either reframe it or replace it with a more helpful belief. I'm also working on accepting the parts that are true, but without letting it drag me down.

I've only just started out with this, so I don't have a whole lot of advice. But best of luck with your recovery! Trying to overcome limiting beliefs isn't easy, but it's a big step to take.

Thank you, I not so recently read a totally different concept of Book which you might enjoy, The Three Principles , it's a different psychological approach. However I do find this challenging beliefs as something helpful....

Reality is ... Today is a bad day and I'm feeling I really screwed up my life and it has no remedy... I can fully challenge that thought or go the three principles way..... However is 100% like you said.... It might have some parts of it as true.

I can keep challenging and keep up or I can drink my N when I go back home.

I bought it almost two years ago.. was gonna use it and when I comment about me ready to go, an old former member of hear commented and said something like (summing it up), "Have you had a hormone test" , I went and had it the next day and also a doctors visit and started with testosterone and dianabol, and exercise , I've been fine without terrible or even without ctb thoughts for a year.... But now is not depression, is LIFE dragging me back to the ctb solution ideation, specially tonight... Not even close as a year and a half ago, no way, I'm depression free actually is just life seems has no fix for me.

I can even say me, I am okay, but my vision of the future completely sucks, even when it really does not, I would always have my parents department to live , when it's inherited, so I have no chance of being homeless. I live in Mexico and I have university , so I can work. I can make , I have a low but still a paycheck to live on, but little chance to grow and little intention to improve because I don't want to LIVE to Work you know? <---- that idea fucks me up, specially when my parents did not give me money to pay for a car crash I had when unemployed and today that amount of crypto is over a million dollars and I'm almost broke! So are my parents, or my mom and her husband in their late 60s and working all day long too.

Damm... So what can I expect , I do want to improve but I've got not the best hand (speaking poker wise) I've not been dealt with a good hand, but I do have good looks... But looks are not helping , so wtf I'm confused about what I'll do.

It was so great to read you, sorry if wrote so many things venting ... I couldn't sleep tonight :/

I'll have to write details on my beliefs ... On various topics... Thank you