• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Efilism, without looking at Wikipedia, off the top of my head, is the pessimistic belief system that posits that life is such a net negative that it would be better for it to not exist. That life is an abomination. I've argued with efilists in the site before but because they were nihilistic materialists, not really because I am not an efilist, to a great extent I am.

I want this thread to be a place where you dump the best arguments or explanations as to why 'life is a mistake', 'existing is pain and pleasures or comfort will never be enough'. Alternatively you can challenge this idea, if you are inclined to do so.

Opening fire now.

Life isn't a precious gift because most of us are forced to mingle with people we despise, and exert ourselves a large portion of the day for social credit numbers that allow you to exist and be accepted as a member of society. We exert ourselves with tasks we couldn't care less about, to be able to perpetuate a life of which we are stripping at least 1/2 of its usable time with work.

Life isn't a precious gift because we are effectively ruled by monsters, by criminals of the worst kind, by psychopaths. They forge wars, they create the severe trauma of C19, they poison us with their cultural products and addictive technology. This shadows looms ever larger above the 'untroubled masses', as they desperately try to keep the 'not see, not hear' facade, naturally holding on to the maxim that has always ruled their lives: manducemus et bibamus; cras enim moriemur. But the shadow's size and weight, as the well fed creature it is, will eventually spill into their world, as it did in 2020. This thought brings a morbid sense of comfort to my resentful heart.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Efilism, without looking at Wikipedia, off the top of my head, is the pessimistic belief system that posits that life is such a net negative that it would be better for it to not exist. That life is an abomination. I've argued with efilists in the site before but because they were nihilistic materialists, not really because I am not an efilist, to a great extent I am.

I want this thread to be a place where you dump the best arguments or explanations as to why 'life is a mistake', 'existing is pain and pleasures or comfort will never be enough'. Alternatively you can challenge this idea, if you are inclined to do so.

Opening fire now.

Life isn't a precious gift because most of us are forced to mingle with people we despise, and exert ourselves a large portion of the day for social credit numbers that allow you to exist and be accepted as a member of society. We exert ourselves with tasks we couldn't care less about, to be able to perpetuate a life of which we are stripping at least 1/2 of its usable time with work.

Life isn't a precious gift because we are effectively ruled by monsters, by criminals of the worst kind, by psychopaths. They forge wars, they create the severe trauma of C19, they poison us with their cultural products and addictive technology. This shadows looms ever larger above the 'untroubled masses', as they desperately try to keep the 'not see, not hear' facade, naturally holding on to the maxim that has always ruled their lives: manducemus et bibamus; cras enim moriemur. But the shadow's size and weight, as the well fed creature it is, will eventually spill into their world, as it did in 2020. This thought brings a morbid sense of comfort to my resentful heart.

• Life is not a precious gift because it was given to us involuntarily.
  • Life is not a precious gift because power-hungry people live lavish lives on the expense of the rest of the people.

• Life is a precious gift for those who are born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Last edited:
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
There is endless suffering anywhere you look (applying to all sentient lifeforms and not just humans). Some may think that is precious, but it is only an opinion that is often presented as dogma. I can't prove that life is a net negative because I don't know how that could even be measured, but I personally don't see how it's worth the incalculable amounts of collateral damage.

CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Disabled. Hard talk, don't argue, make fun, etc
Sep 17, 2022
One lif only one time exper, one human negative never gift never way make better never way back time all lose. Never gift no ask , example what get trauma damGe injury all negative even positive limit, other people experienc not change fact me suffer me no possible tme control erase syffer.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
I do definitely think that it would be better for life to have never have been a thing in the first place. There was no need for it, it isn't as though the non existent would have missed out on anything if they were never born, in fact they were perfectly fine not existing until they were brought here.

I see existence as being a burden and of course life is a negative thing because of the inevitability of suffering in life. All humans have the capacity to suffer to such great extents and anyone can end up in the worst pain possible.

Life is unpredictable and uncertain and everything is determined by luck and chance so therefore it can never be beneficial to bring life in to this world. I do view non existence as always being preferable to any kind of life as the non existent have no worries or concerns.

The whole 'life is a gift' way of thinking doesn't reflect reality, it's people in denial of all of the cruelty that exists. And also the society makes it so difficult for people to ctb, trying to force them to live in a life they never asked for. We live in a pro suffering society.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
It seems that when people have something 'good', they adapt and normalise it until it is completely invisible. Only negative things stand out and capture our attention. This is why even financial excess does not equate to freedom from suffering, despite being obviously abundant in physical pleasures. This merely means a stream of distractions while doing nothing about the elephant in the room.

This, combined with the other bummers of life (ageing, death, limitations, impermanence, loss, etc.) ensures universal suffering as part of the human condition, with all attempts to address it via conventional strategies proving ineffective.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
It seems that when people have something 'good', they adapt and normalise it until it is completely invisible. Only negative things stand out and capture our attention. This is why even financial excess does not equate to freedom from suffering, despite being obviously abundant in physical pleasures. This merely means a stream of distractions while doing nothing about the elephant in the room.

This, combined with the other bummers of life (ageing, death, limitations, impermanence, loss, etc.) ensures universal suffering as part of the human condition, with all attempts to address it via conventional strategies proving ineffective.
[Schopenhauer's seal of approval] ✅

A

Alnilam

Aug 29, 2022
All I want to know is why. Why are we here just to suffer? What is the point of all this? I don't care to measure the net negative anymore, you cannot turn a blind eye to suffering in this day and age unless you're delusional or a sociopath. I just want to understand why. I've turned to many religions, theories and philosophies for answers but they only raise more questions than answers. We are not perfect beings, so why must life punish us for something that is beyond our control? Why does our existence seem damned from the very beginning? It feels less like a school, an opportunity to teach, gain knowledge and build character and more like a meat prison. My only comfort is in hoping that the afterlife is merciful and devoid of suffering.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
All I want to know is why. Why are we here just to suffer? What is the point of all this? I don't care to measure the net negative anymore, you cannot turn a blind eye to suffering in this day and age unless you're delusional or a sociopath. I just want to understand why. I've turned to many religions, theories and philosophies for answers but they only raise more questions than answers. We are not perfect beings, so why must life punish us for something that is beyond our control? Why does our existence seem damned from the very beginning? It feels less like a school, an opportunity to teach, gain knowledge and build character and more like a meat prison. My only comfort is in hoping that the afterlife is merciful and devoid of suffering.
Why would the afterlife be merciful? As above so below. I'm researching Catharism, Gnosticism, Buddhism and modern conspiracy theories for answers. This reality is obviously some kind of ruthless farm or experiment.

A

Alnilam

Aug 29, 2022
Why would the afterlife be merciful? As above so below. I'm researching Catharism, Gnosticism, Buddhism and modern conspiracy theories for answers. This reality is obviously some kind of ruthless farm or experiment.
If this is a farm, there is still a chance to escape it in the afterlife to greener pastures. If it truly is ''as above so below'', at least I'll have a chance at a better experience than here--without being confined to a body riddled with aches and pains. Is it not enough to be faced with the overwhelming sense of hopelessness and despair when considering taking ones own life? The thought of a peaceful afterlife is the only thing I have going for me, it's a comfort. Nobody knows what happens when we die, I'd rather not rip the last shred of hope from the people who do see the afterlife as an escape from pain. Otherwise we all might as well give up on ctb if death is nothing but a sham.

Last edited:
Tiberius85

Tiberius85

Aug 21, 2022
Life is not a gift and life is not precious. Life is life for the sole purpose of living. What is living? Well, in any case, there is nothing special about it. Certainly not about human life. Humans are animals and as such their individual life isn't any more a gift, precious or special as the one of a cockroach.

Therefore, there is no wider meaning to life either. We are not here for any particular reason. There is no god, no afterlife and no magic. The sole purpose of any life is to (try) pass on genes to the next generation. Procreation is not a gift. It's simply nature.

S

SamTam33

Warlock
Oct 9, 2022
In order for something to be a precious gift (or any kind of worthwhile gift), it needs to benefit you more than harm you.

There are no benefits to life. There are only by-products of life. People confuse the two all the time.

Falling in love is a by-product of being alive, not a benefit.

Also, in order for something to be precious, it needs to be unique and special. Billions upon billions of people have lived on this earth. I'm sorry, but no way in hell all of those lives were precious.

Most of them were downright useless and forgettable.

Additionally, there's far too much disparity in the lives we're born into - to declare them all equally precious.

On Christmas, you get a set of diamond earrings while I get a pair of reindeer mittens. But we should both be equally thankful huh?

What better way to gain "followers" than to validate their existence and make them think they're special?

Telling someone who's alive that their life is precious is nothing more than a form of flattery. Designed to keep our gullible asses in line, working and making money for SOMEONE ELSE.

Throw in religion and tell them someone in the sky is watching. If you fall out of line or try to leave (e.g. suicide), you'll be banished to scary, scary hell!

And it works. It effin works. Because our fat ass egos get stroked in the process.

It's how politicians win elections. Which candidate can stroke the most egos.

Very few are willing to step back and truly evaluate life as it really is. Because if they did, then they'd have to admit their existence is pointless.

Summer Child

Summer Child

-cognitive dissonance personified-
Oct 15, 2022
Life is not a precious gift because I didn't consent to it and am not even allowed to opt out

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Life is not a precious gift because I didn't consent to it and am not even allowed to opt out
This is repeated like every few days in here, haha. You're not out of place, kiddo.

I routinely explain why I think we actually wanted to be born and continue to want to exist (as long we are able to write shit on here etc), and it gets me into arguments.

I dislike life but I don't want to die either. I think I've always disliked life even when it was relatively good, there was too much blind obedience to authority and obvious deceit going on to respect society much, and the gory, struggling side of life always caught my attention when it randomly popped up.

I'm definitely the guy that gets invited to a party, complains about the drinks all night but never leaves, as he also has good moments in there chatting with people and getting into chaotic situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: katagiri83
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I'm definitely the guy that gets invited to a party, complains about the drinks all night but never leaves, as he also has good moments in there chatting with people and getting into chaotic situations.

This reminds me of younger days when heavy metal music was very mainstream with young people. All lyrical content revolved around war, conflict, death, morbid suffering and deep despair. Yet I've never seen a bunch of people have such a good time.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
That's it?
I don't think you understood the joke. I meant that we could be talking about this until we were in a geriatric and you would still find no substance and weight to my arguments.

I'm just gonna say that you need to be open to the truth and be lucky enough to be granted a glimpse. Paranormal experiences cannot be transmitted through words. You'll only believe when you experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Disappointered
B4mbi

B4mbi

Melly
Nov 11, 2022
No one asked to be here, I think it's selfish to have children and subject them to life's suffering. The bad massively outweighs the good and if you think about it, the good times only feel good because we compare it to other bad experiences. Unless you're an elite, you'll be trapped in the darkness forever whilst the rich get to benefit from your suffering.

Pro-lifers don't care about you. They don't want to save you, they just want to keep you in the endless loop of suffering that they benefit from.

M

Meaninglessness

Existence is absolutely meaningless
Nov 12, 2022
Yeah, we live in a world of meaningless suffering. But overpopulation is the cause of all the evil that befalls us. The best thing that I have done in my life is not to have children in this world of suffering.

BipolarExpress

BipolarExpress

he/him · tired/exhausted
Nov 11, 2022
Why is life not a precious gift? Let me count the ways:
  • We're constantly chasing after others' approval, wealth, things, and other baubles that we won't be able to keep with us after we die.
  • Because we are subject to severe inequalities in both opportunity and outcome. On the one hand, you have the British royal family with their vaults of riches, vast estates, and palaces, and on the other hand, there are ordinary people struggling to keep their houses warm—that's if they're not outright homeless—during the cost-of-living crisis in the same country.
  • Ukrainians are being bombed because of Putin's vicious irredentism. Uighur and Rohingya Muslims are being persecuted in East Asia.
  • Nazis are still with us, even if Hitler isn't. This is especially frightening as World War II passes out of living memory.
  • ISIL and Al Qaeda are still active, along with other terrorist groups like Boko Haram and Atomwaffen Division.
  • Billions of people go without food, even though there's enough to go around.
  • Thanks to global warming, the planet is becoming increasingly uninhabitable, with all its wildfires, floods, and hurricanes.
  • Because we're punished by arbitrary things like credit scores if we fall on hard times.
  • Mass shootings are on the rise in the US.
  • Hedge-fund managers live in the lap of luxury, while teachers are dismally underpaid.
  • We are constantly threatened by communicable illnesses, including COVID, AIDS, the flu, tuberculosis, cholera, Ebola, and Zika.
I could go on forever. This planet is a fucking shitshow.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Christians are being persecuted (and killed) in some Muslim countries too, and the Rohingya are known to have attacked Buddhist monks and such. Islam is not peaceful and China is being smart albeit callous with their treatment of it.

If a group is persecuted it's important to look at both sides, I have found many times that they victims of bullying had provoked the abuse in some way, which doesn't mean they deserve it, but it means that we need to be aware that the problem isn't 100% on the attacker in all cases.

BipolarExpress

BipolarExpress

he/him · tired/exhausted
Nov 11, 2022
Christians are being persecuted (and killed) in some Muslim countries too, and the Rohingya are known to have attacked Buddhist monks and such. Islam is not peaceful and China is being smart albeit callous with their treatment of it.

If a group is persecuted it's important to look at both sides, I have found many times that they victims of bullying had provoked the abuse in some way, which doesn't mean they deserve it, but it means that we need to be aware that the problem isn't 100% on the attacker in all cases.
Christianity isn't peaceful, either. As members of the largest religion in the world, Christians have a large platform, much larger than that of Buddhists, Jews, or even Muslims. The Crusades? The Inquisition? Violent and coercive missionary activity in the Americas, Africa, and Asia? Using the Bible to justify slavery in the Americas? Radical fundamentalist Christians who oppress minorities in the West? I don't think Christians should be persecuted, obviously. Muslims were just the first group to come to mind for me.

As for China, the government persecutes Christians and Muslims alike. Neither group should be persecuted.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Christianity isn't peaceful, either. As members of the largest religion in the world, Christians have a large platform, much larger than that of Buddhists, Jews, or even Muslims. The Crusades? The Inquisition? Violent and coercive missionary activity in the Americas, Africa, and Asia? Using the Bible to justify slavery in the Americas? Radical fundamentalist Christians who oppress minorities in the West? I don't think Christians should be persecuted, obviously. Muslims were just the first group to come to mind for me.

As for China, the government persecutes Christians and Muslims alike. Neither group should be persecuted.
Christianity is a dying and peaceful religion now. 95% of what you listed is in the past. Islam has violence running through its veins now, not 500 years ago.

It's true, China persecutes all religions. They have persecuted harmless groups like Galum Fong or however that was called, haha. I just got carried over by my zeal against Islam, which I loathe.

I'm just saying, sorry for the Rohingya but I don't want Islam to propagate. Asia should reject it as best as it can.