L

laserfocus111

Student
Feb 11, 2020
Hi, I know this is not a legal clinic, but I would like to see if anyone has any expertise in this area.

Someone is possibly suing me for damages incurred although the proceedings are probably going to be held weeks after my intended ctb date. Without a verdict, will my probate/will be affected if it is likely that I'm at fault?

I understand laws vary from country to country and I'll keep an open mind, thank you.

Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
That isn't much to work with. Can they prove that you caused the damages? Have you stated in writing that you owe them? Was it negligence on your part that caused the accident? The reason I'm asking is because you need to know the laws pertaining to your circumstances and you need to know and be able to prove that you didn't cause damage to them or their property. As for the probate I'm not sure.

Reactions: laserfocus111
L

laserfocus111

Student
Feb 11, 2020
Thank you for your reply!

I am unsure, but it seems to me that from the circumstantial evidence (medical reports etc) the judge may say that I am at fault. As I have yet to stand trial as a witness, I don't know if they will award damages to the other party even if I have passed on.

Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
Circumstantial evidence doesn't necessarily prove that you're in the wrong. They would have to prove that you actually caused the damage. Idk what your specific circumstances are but circumstantial evidence doesn't prove that you were at fault.

Reactions: laserfocus111
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Hi, I know this is not a legal clinic, but I would like to see if anyone has any expertise in this area.

Someone is possibly suing me for damages incurred although the proceedings are probably going to be held weeks after my intended ctb date. Without a verdict, will my probate/will be affected if it is likely that I'm at fault?

I understand laws vary from country to country and I'll keep an open mind, thank you.

I've certainly heard of estates being sued after the person is dead. So that aspect is possible. I guess it comes down to whether they can prove the damages occurred, which may be harder to do if you aren't around to testify and be cross-examined. Although then again, you aren't around to provide any defense arguments either.

Reactions: Saed and laserfocus111
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
If you're set to CTB then none of this matters. If you die then everything is out of your control and anything could happen either way. Such is the dilemma that many of us face.

Reactions: dysfunctional and laserfocus111
L

laserfocus111

Student
Feb 11, 2020
I am just hoping I have enough left over for my kid :(