E

eighthhouse

Jun 30, 2020
How could I terminate my relationship with my therapist if my therapist might believe that doing so would put me in an unsafe position and thus notify my parents (I'm 23 but I live with them in this economy) or, worse, law enforcement? I need space to pursue some long term solutions that I don't need a therapist watching over. Thanks

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I think you need to consider WHY you want to stop going to therapy.

Is it because the therapy isn't helping?
If so, maybe try a different therapist. There is a massive difference between a 'therapist' who thinks everything is a tick box, form filling exercise and somebody who spends time going deep into things with you.

Your therapist/therapy should be part of your long term solution.

Fundamentally though, it's your choice.

Reactions: Regen and tidalwxves
E

eighthhouse

Jun 30, 2020
I think you need to consider WHY you want to stop going to therapy.

Is it because the therapy isn't helping?
If so, maybe try a different therapist. There is a massive difference between a 'therapist' who thinks everything is a tick box, form filling exercise and somebody who spends time going deep into things with you.

Your therapist/therapy should be part of your long term solution.

Fundamentally though, it's your choice.

My therapy is helping, but I've decided I no longer want help.

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
My therapy is helping, but I've decided I no longer want help.
OK, well to be honest if you've decided you don't want to be helped then it is unlikely to matter how good the therapist is.
Any reason why you've decided this?

E

eighthhouse

Jun 30, 2020
OK, well to be honest if you've decided you don't want to be helped then it is unlikely to matter how good the therapist is.
Any reason why you've decided this?

I've decided to pursue a very slow method of ctb-ing (it takes months, it's kinda noticeable to others, and it's been nearly successful in the past) because no matter how supported or helped I am, I can't be happy and I think I'm getting close to deciding to be done. Maybe not, but I'm starting to plan in case. So I wouldn't want a therapist to catch on and make me go to the hospital. I just want to be left alone.

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I've decided to pursue a very slow method of ctb-ing (it takes months, it's kinda noticeable to others, and it's been nearly successful in the past) because no matter how supported or helped I am, I can't be happy and I think I'm getting close to deciding to be done. Maybe not, but I'm starting to plan in case. So I wouldn't want a therapist to catch on and make me go to the hospital. I just want to be left alone.
OK, what is the method?

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Yes. Kind of. I have anorexia but I've been in recovery but I think I'd like to go back.
I'm not going to pretend to know much about anorexia, but most people with a condition that they've been recovering from don't want to go back to a time when the condition was worse.
So what's your reasoning?

E

eighthhouse

Jun 30, 2020
I'm not going to pretend to know much about anorexia, but most people with a condition that they've been recovering from don't want to go back to a time when the condition was worse.
So what's your reasoning?

The world feels like it's ending, or at least in the US. I'm scared of the future. I'm scared of going to war and of devastation wrought by climate change. I don't know if I want to be here for all that. Maybe.

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
The world feels like it's ending, or at least in the US. I'm scared of the future. I'm scared of going to war and of devastation wrought by climate change. I don't know if I want to be here for all that. Maybe.
The state of the world worries us all.
Humans are so far away from where we ought to be.

The only advice I can give is not to worry about media or political fear mongering.

I'm not saying that climate change or other stuff isn't happening.
I'm simply saying not to punish yourself for it.

Sometimes it's easier to see the point if you relate it to someone else so that your own emotions don't blur the thinking.

So think back to the 2008 financial crisis.
There were people who were quite comfortable, who were unaffected, who were worried about the economy and the financial sector.
General concern is understandable.
But if someone who was unaffected said that they were thinking of ending their lives due to the state of the economy, what would you say to that?

E

eighthhouse

Jun 30, 2020
The state of the world worries us all.
Humans are so far away from where we ought to be.

The only advice I can give is not to worry about media or political fear mongering.

I'm not saying that climate change or other stuff isn't happening.
I'm simply saying not to punish yourself for it.

Sometimes it's easier to see the point if you relate it to someone else so that your own emotions don't blur the thinking.

So think back to the 2008 financial crisis.
There were people who were quite comfortable, who were unaffected, who were worried about the economy and the financial sector.
General concern is understandable.
But if someone who was unaffected said that they were thinking of ending their lives due to the state of the economy, what would you say to that?

I worry we'll all be affected eventually. Maybe not; people are out there doing good things. Idk. I just get more and more scared as time goes on that I'm about to be pretty unsafe, and if that's the case then I want to go out my own way and not because of something I can't control.

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I worry we'll all be affected eventually. Maybe not; people are out there doing good things. Idk. I just get more and more scared as time goes on that I'm about to be pretty unsafe, and if that's the case then I want to go out my own way and not because of something I can't control.
You said you feel unsafe.
What do you think might happen?

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Widespread civil unrest. Many (more) people dead. Then eventually climate catastrophes.
Ok, widespread civil unrest usually happens when people come together to fight against 'forces' that seek to oppose change, in order to fight to change things for the better.
So of course we hope that people do not die, but the aim is likely to be change for the better.

Climate catastrophes.
Ok, like what?

E

eighthhouse

Jun 30, 2020
Ok, widespread civil unrest usually happens when people come together to fight against 'forces' that seek to oppose change, in order to fight to change things for the better.
So of course we hope that people do not die, but the aim is likely to be change for the better.

Climate catastrophes.
Ok, like what?

All the fires that have been making the air hazardous in the west becoming a regular occurrence.

Nelos

Nelos

Jan 5, 2020
Just stop going to therapy and say you wanted to discontinue it. At least it is what I would do

Reactions: eighthhouse
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I feel you, earth is a pretty bad place especially now

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: BitterlyAlive and eighthhouse
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
All the fires that have been making the air hazardous in the west becoming a regular occurrence.
Can you provide references?

Also, why does this make you feel suicidal and that you want to allow anorexia recovery to slide back?

I'm going to bed now so will reply to you tomorrow.

Reactions: eighthhouse
E

eighthhouse

Jun 30, 2020
You could lie and say that the therapy isn't helping you and you just don't wanna do it anymore.

Thinking about this! But she knows I was recently suicidal and that my weight's been going down and that if I left it would get worse. So she might have grounds to declare me unsafe. Idt I'm fucked forever per se (if I demonstrate safety) but for the time being