Shakespeare&Company

Shakespeare&Company

Jun 9, 2024
Hey everyone, im not sure if i am allowed to post such a *serious* topic in the offtopic section so I apologize in advance if I killed the vibe.

I just left my alcoholic ex. I understand we are (mostly) all depressed here. Although I am not currently planning suicide, I am a little scared that I will become suicidal again once the shock of me ending things wears off. We were together for 6 years. I feel so lost and confused.

Have any of you ended things with an alcoholic partner? Do you regret it? Did you find love again?

What a silly thing to ask on a suicide website, I realize the sample population will be a little skewed to a negative outcome hahah, but I just need to feel less alone. I need to be reminded that I am not the first to go through this in their mid 20s.

Thanks,
M

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Angst Filled Fuck Up, EvisceratedJester and 1 other person
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I am young and not an alcoholic.
My father is an alcoholic.

I don't know if it's good or bad that you left someone.
I just don't know the broader context.
Individual case.

But I know that if someone is drowning, sometimes it's best to let them drown and not drown yourself.
This is the best pragmatic decision.

Sometimes we have to think only about ourselves, otherwise we will be unhappy.

Alcoholism is a problem that destroys the sick person and everyone around him.
I know this from experience.

Maybe you made the best decision possible and didn't let yourself be destroyed.
For example, some people have Stockholm syndrome and live with their source of unhappiness.
This is life in a cage.

With this brave decision, you may have prevented this tragedy.

Good luck.

Reactions: Shakespeare&Company and Angst Filled Fuck Up
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I don't regret leaving her, and yes I did find love again.

The main problem in the context of her drinking was that she found it completely normal - she was surrounded by her own large Irish family who all partook. We'd get together at social events, and whereas after a few drinks all I wanted to do was get some chicken fingers and fall asleep, she would stay up blasting music and picking fights with me until all hours of the morning.

I told her at a given point that it was becoming intolerable and that I wanted to leave. She didn't change, and would continue to find ways to make drinking acceptable several nights a week and not think anything of it. And of course, it was all enabled by her environment because they didn't have to live with her. So it was all fun and games to everyone - that was probably the worst part.

You did the right thing, and I hope you find someone deserving of your affection in the future.

Reactions: Shakespeare&Company and LoiteringClouds