Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
My niece is one of the most important people to me, she has two younger twin brothers that are a big part of my heart as well. Her birthday is in August, and is one of the big reasons I'm waiting until September. She'll be 11 by then, and honestly seeing her grow up is the only thing I know I'll really miss out on. But that option has already been taken away from me because my sister sudden 180 and rejection of my being gay.

Anyway, I still plan to send her a regular birthday gift. But am also thinking of leaving something of a keepsake behind for her. Maybe a music/jewelry box and a necklace. And a similar thing for her brothers, but since they're 6. It'd probably be a little treasure chest, and maybe a personalized book or something.

Anyone else leaving behind kids, but not a parent, and thinking about something to leave behind because it's unlikely they'll get to read your note

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: NekoNomNom, painoflife, Soul and 11 others
Bct

Bct

Disqualified from Being Human
Apr 20, 2020
This could be a good idea, though I don't know what I'll give to my nephew & niece since their birthdays are at the end of year and they're still young (4 & 1 years old). If I give something, it would be a bit too suspicious.

Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
Hallmark makes recordable books. They're great and a wonderful keepsake. They get something meaningful but they also get to still hear your voice. I've made a few for my children, and have a box of cards for their birthdays and special occassions. It might be morbid to some, but I find it helpful that I'm not leaving them with nothing, and that I truly do love them. ♡

Reactions: Soul, autumnal, ActualLesbian and 1 other person
Brink

Brink

Exhausted. RadHomo.
Feb 11, 2020
I'm so sorry about your sister's rejection of you being you. Your idea is lovely.

Tbh this whole thread has got me emotional. My niblings mean so much to me. I only have myself to blame for the lack of relationship in recent years, which is one of my biggest regrets.

Last edited:
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I've left behind some teddy bears and LEGO for my goddaughters. I know they will be sad about my death and I want them to have something meaningful to remember me by. We play with LEGO all the time.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
I'm so sorry about your sister's rejection of you being you. Your idea is lovely.

Tbh this whole thread has got me emotional. My niblings mean so much to me. I only have myself to blame for the lack of relationship in recent years, which is one of my biggest regrets.

I had assumed 'niblings' was just a typo, but did a search and discovered it's actually an adorable term for your nieces and nephews! :smiling:

Reactions: Ronnie99, EGR92, Wisdom3_1-9 and 2 others
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
@MarsFx, your thoughts are lovely. If you can make a video of yourself - maybe walking somewhere and talking to the children as if they're with you? x

• Love
Reactions: Isadeth, Woodnote, Cosmiq and 2 others
painoflife

painoflife

Arcanist
Jul 27, 2019
I have thought a lot about this too, regarding my nieces. They are so young and innocent, I dont want to hurt them

• Hugs
Reactions: Woodnote and Brink
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
@MarsFx, your thoughts are lovely. If you can make a video of yourself - maybe walking somewhere and talking to the children as if they're with you? x

Thanks for this!
I thought of leaving a video for everyone, but haven't been motivated. Creating a video of myself including photos and kind of a scrapbook effect would be great

• Love
Reactions: Soul
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I have some photos of my dead parents, but nothing with their voices or the way they moved. It would mean so much to have something like that.