L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Hi, anyone know how to learn music? I always wanted to compose whatever comes to my mind for my whole life but never tried to. Actually I tried but stopped multiple times due to problems and limitations. My goal is to save my compositions and make it with software/apps. I don't have any instrument right now so I don't know if its possible to learn.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LoNatural, Weeping Garbage Can, Broken Chimera and 2 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
There are free software synths out there that you could look into. It could help you start training your ears as well as give you something to practice music theory with.

Reactions: LoNatural, Weeping Garbage Can and Broken Chimera
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
I tried it for a while. I started with Caustic. There are a lot of addons you can download for it too. It's not that hard to do tbh. Like Brick said train your ears then go for it. It won't be perfect the first time, but with practice you'll make some good songs.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall and Weeping Garbage Can
O

OnlyBuilt4Linxs

Apr 16, 2020
Yes music is definitely my passion in life. I don't want to make a career out of it just a life long hobby. hopefully it brings me some friends too but :shrug:

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall and Weeping Garbage Can
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
There are free software synths out there that you could look into. It could help you start training your ears as well as give you something to practice music theory with.

Thanks, I only know little theory, I'm clueless about the next step. I have perfect piano app, does it help?
I tried it for a while. I started with Caustic. There are a lot of addons you can download for it too. It's not that hard to do tbh. Like Brick said train your ears then go for it. It won't be perfect the first time, but with practice you'll make some good songs.

Thanks, so its entirely possible unlike what others say. People always discourage me and say you must get an instrument to learn.
Yes music is definitely my passion in life. I don't want to make a career out of it just a life long hobby. hopefully it brings me some friends too but :shrug:

Yea, its not necessary to be a career. The most important thing is loving what you do and expressing yourself with your music. Maybe some people also like your music and be your friends.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Brick In The Wall and Broken Chimera
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
Thanks, so its entirely possible unlike what others say. People always discourage me and say you must get an instrument to learn.
That's just to bring you down. You can create music through programs like Caustic. No instruments needed. You want proof? Go to YouTube and look up a song that you like and type "remix" behind it. Most likely someone's done one. You think all of them learned a instrument? Go for what you want and forget what others feel about it.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
You can make things work without instruments just with your PC.
I can't say much because... uh... I walk the path of sith, let's say... >.>

TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
This site is great for learning fundamental theory and notation: https://www.musictheory.net/lessons

Playing piano actually helped me a lot when I was learning music. The clear, linear layout makes it easier, and writing music is more intuitive. If you can, you should definitely look for a cheap keyboard. I don't know what kind of music you want to compose, though, so you may not need it after all :)

a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Do you have music in your head/ do you have musical talent?

I would shop around for a used keyboard/ piano or guitar; they can be had for dirt cheap (especially guitars) and it doesn't really matter for your purposes now. Go on Craigslist and buy a used guitar for 20 bucks, it's better than clicking around with a mouse on a computer screen.

And then – if you are in fact musical – learning music theory is like discovering what you already know anyway.
Pianos are often free even, you just have to pay the transport and tuning. With keyboards it's tricky, because you want one with weighted keys and they are usually more expensive.

Reactions: TheSoulless
C

codewarrior

Apr 30, 2020
I would recommend invest in either FL Studio or Abelton Live ecosystem. It would be really worth over time.

miguel6565

miguel6565

Arcanist
Apr 5, 2020
yes,have some music on soundcloud,music is a thing that i think we all can relate that can make us cry and remember things,is one of my passions

Zozo

Zozo

May 4, 2020
Tablature helped a lot when I first picked up a guitar. I never took lessons, and I couldn't read music to save my life, but I play entirely by ear. Also, a good starter music programming software is fruity loops or FLstudio I think it's called now. It's very user friendly and versatile as well. It is MIDI compatable, so if you have a MIDI keyboard, drumpad, controller etc. It's great for that. It also has several VST plugins, softsynths, drum machine emulators....but you can also use samples and anything that is a .wav or .mp3. so you can record your own instruments if you got a good mic.its It's got a built in sequencer for programming beats, melodies, basslines and whatnot (you can adjust it to fit any time signature) the newer versions have a tracking option for large outside .wavs and .mp3s so you can add in vocal tracks, guitar...whatever...which is actually cool because you could just use this option to record tracks with all your MIDI instruments track them on there and just utilize the effects and VST plugins. I didn't have the luxury of that when I got into using the program in its earlier incarnations. I had to use a different program for tracking stuff like that. There was actually a program called fruity tracks back in the day and I used that to layer guitars and vocals over the programmed stuff from FL.
I used to always get ripped on by my musical elitist friends for using fruityloops, but I've dabbled with protools, reason, a few other programs but FL was always my favorite. If you know how to EQ, utilize the effects, and do the mastering end of it right, you can get it to sound as good as any other program out there.
you gotta start somewhere....and this is a great program for that.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
Didn't take me long to learn to read music once I got my guitar, started as a total noob too. A few weeks later I could learn to play songs purely by ear without looking at tabs etc.

Try some software online if a real instrument is beyond you during the lockdown, plenty of free stuff out there. I used Reason for years, but exactly freeware but I didn't pay for it, arrrr me hearties!