Nutcase

Nutcase

Feb 10, 2019
Does anyone else feel frustrated at how little they manage to accomplish in a day? Especially at night looking back at the day getting panicked at the idea that you'll keep repeating the cycle of doing nothing every day for the rest of your life. The only things I can think of to change this are pushing myself a little harder and being more aware of how much time I waste online. I feel like if I end up killing myself it will be out of frustration at my lack of progress in life.

• Hugs
Reactions: UnsureWhatToDo and StillWaiting
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
Does anyone else feel frustrated at how little they manage to accomplish in a day?

Very much so, I lose entire days to binge-watching Netflix. However, I am at the mercy of how nauseous I am on a given day. That is further complicated by apathetic depression at my situation that makes doing anything seem as pointless as racing Usain Bolt. Throw in racing thoughts that obliterate the option to concentrate and various pains that are hard to think through. It all then feeds into itself. Because I am not eating properly, going out at all, or even getting enough sleep. All making me more tired and depressed. I lose entire days to binge-watching Netflix. That in itself is further depressing and the apathy is reinforced. Being suicidal does not help matters, why do anything if I will be dead soon?

I don't view myself though as lazy. But ill in certain ways that create various obstacles and limits. On the days I can do things I try to do so. But none of it would meet what society determines as productive. But I don't care because society does not care about your well being or desire for fulfilment in the first place. I would rather sit in my underpants playing through the Witcher series. As that is more fulfilling than being a cog in an odious machine that will rob you of your vitality, treat you like a disposable asset and if you survive to the end of it likely rob you of your pension at the end of it. A soulless job is worse. In that context time-wasting that gives you enjoyment seems infinitely less like time-wasting. But that is my own bitter cynical opinion these days.

So instead of assuming you are lazy or wasting time, ask yourself what it is you actually want? Let's play the realistic magic wand game. So no wishing to win the lottery.

If you had the realistic magic wand, what would you wish for from life?

If you don't know what you would wish for that is part of the problem right there. As it is hard to be motivated when you have no sense of your own direction and get lost to distractions like the online world and the addictive intentional dopamine hit it can give.

Most people who apply the label of lazy to themselves are likely being hard on themselves. You likely fall in that camp because of this sentence.

The only things I can think of to change this are pushing myself a little harder and being more aware of how much time I waste online.

Pretty much the opposite of what a lazy person would say. Also, what is time-wasting in your view? What standards are you measuring by? If it is society's standards of having a good well paying career you enjoy and can rely on. With comfort and white picket fences. The landscape has changed so don't be too hard on yourself for falling short of that idealised model.

Might be better to analyse what has you so dissatisfied with your current life? What were some of your former passions before ending up on a site such as this?

How realistic are you being with your self-assessment of lazy and time-wasting? How much of that self-assessment is coloured by the voices of others wants and expectations? Are you trying to live up to someone else's standards? Or are you setting your own standards too high in the first place? Are you ignoring your own limitations and getting frustrated when they smack you down as a reminder they exist in the first place?

The world is unkind as it is so you should aim to be kinder to yourself despite your perceived wasted time and laziness. That is likely not as true as you think.

• Love
Reactions: Fadinglife, irrelevant_string, Baskol1 and 1 other person
Nutcase

Nutcase

Feb 10, 2019
If you had the realistic magic wand, what would you wish for from life?

I've been thinking how I could best respond to your questions (maybe they were more so for me to answer for myself rather than in a post), but ultimately I feel like my thoughts about most things have no basis in reality or logic and are largely influenced by my emotions, and I don't feel like I can somehow use logic or analysis to change the mechanism in the broken machine (my brain) that causes me to feel x y or z, which I've tried to do before, just like how you can't repair a broken computer by thinking it or telling it function properly. I do know that this does actually works for some people so what I just said was probably incorrect, but that's how I feel.

Reactions: irrelevant_string and Baskol1
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Procrastation, excess sleep, lack of motivation, not having the "energy" to get things done are all classic symptoms of depression (among other illnesses), so it might be worth considering that. If there's a pill or treatment that could fix it, may as well give it shot.

Reactions: Misanthrope and Sailfisher
thrwaway99

thrwaway99

Student
Mar 24, 2019
Why get panicky over lost time when we end up six feet under no matter what? Besides us being on a suicidal forum doesn't foretell a long life anyway, so might as well chill. Eh guess lost hours=lost money if you think of it like that. But does money really even buy anything fun? Can't think of anything I want other than eternal rest.

Reactions: Umbra