lxci

lxci

Life lover
Sep 9, 2024
Lars von Trier has this reputation of being pretentious, sure, but the question is: can it really be pretentious if he backs it up with substance? His films are more than just provocative for the sake of shock value. They're a deep dive into the human condition, full of emotional intensity, layered symbolism, and raw, often disturbing honesty. People might get caught up in the controversial aspects of his work, but what stands out is how undeniably captivating his vision is. He doesn't just create films; he creates experiences, ones that linger long after the credits roll. That kind of impact where you leave the theater shaken or lost in thought, that's not pretense, that's the mark of a director who truly knows his craft.
I just finished watching the depression trilogy and loved every one of them (melancholia was definitely the worst of the 3 though.) And the house that jack built is up there in my top movies of all time. I truly don't understand the hate.

Let me know your opinions

• Informative
Reactions: psp3000 and Forever Sleep
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I think its because of the "I am a Nazi" comment at the Cannes film festival and another related comment in 2011

and because it's hard to differentiate his work from Gaspar Noe

L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
I think its because of the "I am a Nazi" comment at the Cannes film festival and another related comment in 2011

let's not compare the two. breaking the waves trumps anything that noe has created, in my eyes

lxci

lxci

Life lover
Sep 9, 2024

I think he said "I understand hitler" not that's he's a nazi. But I agree that probably threw people off. It also was meant to be a joke, dude likes to piss people off.

*Edit
Never mind he did say "I am a Nazi' I was wrong lol

If you've seen my other posts on the political side of things you'd know that leaves a bad impression on me as well. But I still think his movies are great regardless and the point still stands that he was joking. A bad joke, but a joke none the less

Last edited: