S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Is it quicker than DBan? How many passes? Is it certified by the DoD?

Reactions: Pen>Sword and AutoTap
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
No offense but who buys this?
I'm sorry to say it to you but they kinda ripped you off.

It's already their fifth attempt to "kickstart" the same product but with updated software and different brand.
Back in 2018 I got one of those drives and they had a pirated copy of DBAN bootable iso that has been modified to look like it's their own "house made" product :/
Unfortunately, since I live in Europe, I wasn't able to refund it or sent it back but at least I was able to warn people about that on a forum of an very popular Canadian tech youtuber.
Is it quicker than DBan? How many passes? Is it certified by the DoD?

The speed is almost identical as if you would use DBan and type "Autonuke" into the console

Last edited:
Reactions: Pen>Sword and AutoTap
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Jul 4, 2020
Interesting, I wonder if it works
It definitely works since it overwrites everything instead of just deleting it.

But I would rather worry about the copyright laws in your country.
Some countries don't really mind if you break the copyright law but if you pay for it (like paying for pirated software or counterfeit product), this might end up with a fine.
In other words, if you live in Russia and the product ships form USA, then it would be safer to just pirate a Windows PE Boot USB that has all sorts of tools loaded on it.
There are currently two providers, who do something like that

K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
Well, I have a couple of PCs sitting here that I've been too scared to get rid of. So eventually, I'll check it out on those.
Also I think if the plan is to CTB, copyright laws will probably be the Last thing on your mind.
Can it be inserted into a butt and wipe malfunctioning brain clean? Wanna try it on someone I know :tongue:
I will try and let you know

Last edited:
Reactions: LunarPyotr
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Keep in mind, the only thing you need to "kill" is your hard drive (hdd) or solid state drive (ssd). Very easy to do in both cases.

For hdd, drill a couple holes in the platters. They are soft, and any really cheap drill and drill bit will work. You can drill though the enclosure - no need to disassemble. See pic:
Hard drive inside

For ssd, melt the chips with a lighter or propane torch. If you have a 2.5" ssd, take the pcb out of the enclosure first. Also, you can just crush the chips in a vice or even with a large pliers. Remember, you want to destroy the flash chips. The controller and dram don't matter. See pic:
Flash components

• Love
Reactions: KickFive
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Jul 4, 2020
Keep in mind, the only thing you need to "kill" is your hard drive (hdd) or solid state drive (ssd). Very easy to do in both cases.

For hdd, drill a couple holes in the platters. They are soft, and any really cheap drill and drill bit will work. You can drill though the enclosure - no need to disassemble. See pic:

For ssd, melt the chips with a lighter or propane torch. If you have a 2.5" ssd, take the pcb out of the enclosure first. Also, you can just crush the chips in a vice or even with a large pliers. Remember, you want to destroy the flash chips. The controller and dram don't matter. See pic:
I don't take any responsibility for that but on HDD's you just need to open it and just hit it with a hammer.
When it comes to SSD's, I once heard that people would get a used/cheap microwave and put the SSD's in there for one minute. But I would rather not do this in my apartment :P

I personally have my own method to completly destory an SSD but it's very dangerous. I use chemicals which makes the PCB and the chips disappear in 3min
---
and hey, if you are interested in distributing something, I can let you know that I'm currently working on something that does something similar like this pendrive.
The only thing is that I have a small group who's contributing to this project and the final product will be distributed somewhat for free.

It's free if you download the .bin file and use Etcher to flash the file to an USB 3.0 pendrive.
However, you have a second option, where you pay like 8euro/10pound for a SanDisk pendrive that will have this system pre-loaded and ready to boot (EU Only). Of course I have to mention that this is an non-profit project. The money would go for the pendrive and for shipping.

The only problem is that it's crashing most of the time if you try to erase a SSD with it :P

When the product/tool launches, you could theoretically sell this product in your country as long as you keep it non-profit.
But yeah, we still have some issues that we try to solve and we don't want to launch a broken product or a product that will connect/ping to some remote servers to download some potential update files.

Last edited:
H

Homecoming

Wizard
Aug 14, 2020
I have invested in a kickstarter. It's this key that you plug into the USB port and it just wipes your device immediately. It works on all kinds of devices. Sounds perfect for so many people here. View attachment 49454
Is this some sort of fancy USB killer product?

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@LunarPyotr I have heard that microwaving an SSD does not necessarily kill it. Maybe it does, but it's just as easy to burn for physically damage the flash.

Also, with ssd's, it's not possible to simply overwrite with null data like a hdd. Ssd's move the data around to keep the wear on the flash roughly even. It doesn't have fixed "tracks" like an hdd that the data is stored on and doesn't get moved once written.

In the end, the only real way to securely erase an SSD is through physical damage.

Reactions: LunarPyotr
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Jul 4, 2020
@LunarPyotr I have heard that microwaving an SSD does not necessarily kill it. Maybe it does, but it's just as easy to burn for physically damage the flash.

Also, with ssd's, it's not possible to simply overwrite with null data like a hdd. Ssd's move the data around to keep the wear on the flash roughly even. It doesn't have fixed "tracks" like an hdd that the data is stored on and doesn't get moved once written.

In the end, the only real way to securely erase an SSD is through physical damage.
I definetly agree with you and that's why our LiveOS uses the Gutmann Wipe for SSD's which is used for deleting data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory.
If someone chooses the HDD opion, then the DoD 5220.22M method is automatically selected and it does a 7 pass wipe two times (optionaly 1 wipe if user selects the 4 option in the terminal, which lets you customize that.

Also, today we created the first documentation for that OS but we try to solve a new problem. This OS doesn't boot on MacBooks with the new Apple CPU