• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

D

Dopamine_Junkie44

Nov 12, 2023
Ethic suggests that parents should stay alive to care for their kids, because they didn't ask their kids if they want to be born.

Would the same ethic agree that parents should help their children die, because they didn't ask them if they want to be alive?

I think that act of selflessness would nicely counter balance the act of selfishness in having children.

(I am a mother who stays alive for her kids and is pretty sick of it at the moment).

MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Of course not. Because the fact that your child exists means your child really never had a choice to begin with. Ethically-speaking, not only are you obligated to just simply live for them, you're obligated to do everything in your power to try and reverse what is making your child not want to live and provide them a happy life. That is why having children is such a gamble and hige responsibility. I wish more prospective parents would consider this before making the choice to have children.

Tapioca

Tapioca

I wish I could afford a maid.
Mar 20, 2024
How people think ethically about suicide depends on their culture.

D

Dopamine_Junkie44

Nov 12, 2023
Of course not. Because the fact that your child exists means your child really never had a choice to begin with. Ethically-speaking, not only are you obligated to just simply live for them, you're obligated to do everything in your power to try and reverse what is making your child not want to live and provide them a happy life. That is why having children is such a gamble and hige responsibility. I wish more prospective parents would consider this before making the choice to have children.
What if the child is has a very good live and just doesn't care for it. If it lives just to not traumatize other people by ctbing?
imagine the child hasn't got kids of their own?
yeah it would be great to always be able to forsee the future when making a decision. As that is not possible, I just have to push through parenting. And maybe I find a reason to live for myself on the way.
Still I very much like discussing hypothetical scenarios :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MatrixPrisoner
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Like MatrixPrisoner said, I think their first priority should be to try and help the child out of whatever horrible situation they are in. Sometines that isn't possible though. I guess that's where enormous amounts of understanding have to come in. They may not be able to understand their child's mindset at all but, if they really can't help, I think it would be enormously compassionate of them to let them go.

Sadly, seeing as suicide is such a taboo subject and even mental health to some degree and because people are treated so heavy handidly and without compassion- I expect plenty of parents/ families don't really understand just how much their loved ones are struggling.

D

Dopamine_Junkie44

Nov 12, 2023
Ethic suggests that parents should stay alive to care for their kids, because they didn't ask their kids if they want to be born.

Would the same ethic agree that parents should help their children die, because they didn't ask them if they want to be alive?
Just to clarify: I mean if the child is depressive or just doesn't want to live.

I think I understand the problem better if I use an analogy: The parents give life as a gift to the child. The child can refuse the gift or give it back. But it would be too much to ask the parents to help destroy it. They might still do it, but they are not ethically expected to. However I would ethically expect them to accept that the child doesn't like the gift and to accept if they throw it away.

INTJme

INTJme

Epeolatrist
Mar 22, 2024
No. It's not an act of selflessness to help your kid die; it's actually the worst kind of selfishness. Let me explain.

What brought the kid to the point where they're thinking of ctb? Bad parenting most likely or at the very least it played a major role in getting them there. So a parent assisting their child's ctb is nothing more than shelving a hopeless project because of shame/unworkability. Parents failed and now they want to hide it. Despicable.

The child in question needs to become an adult first to consent to such an arrangement, first of all. Secondly, I am of the opinion that the depressive child in question should practice self-determination; if they want to ctb, they should do it without any outside interference or influence. How else would they know if they're really ready or being manipulated by their parents, who might be just bored of parenthood?

Thirdly, and most importantly, depression isn't a death sentence in itself. Many people recover and go on to live better lives. Have all treatment options been exhausted? Is there no hope? It takes a while to get to that point and by then the child really isn't a child anymore.

D

Dopamine_Junkie44

Nov 12, 2023
I really need to learn to define every aspect of my question :) I was always talking about adult children. But I like your point of non-interference.

Reactions: INTJme
surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
Ethics is an assumption.
But logic is also built upon assumptions.

Only you can decide if ethics should agree with this statement.

MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
What if the child is has a very good live and just doesn't care for it. If it lives just to not traumatize other people by ctbing?
imagine the child hasn't got kids of their own?
yeah it would be great to always be able to forsee the future when making a decision. As that is not possible, I just have to push through parenting. And maybe I find a reason to live for myself on the way.
Still I very much like discussing hypothetical scenarios :)
Unforntunately, it's out of your hands now. If your child wants to go, he/she has to do it on their own. Sucks for them, but that is the only logical answer. Keep fighting. I wish you luck and good fortune.