W

Worthless loser

Feb 13, 2020
Does anyone know of any sources that might lend credence to the claim that because parts of our perception (bodily, sensations of pain, etc) are delayed by some milliseconds, that one would not actually have enough time to become aware of impact with the ground before death (and thus a painless death)? I've read this claim before but it seems unlikely to me, just wondering if there's any more information about it out there.

Reactions: illbeinthegarage and DFFP
rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
As one cannot tell you this from experience it is very hard to prove it. It is a fact that your perception of everything is delayed and thus when you die fast enough you do not feel anything. The question is just how fast you die or go unconscious when falling to death.

C

Crumbledank

May 14, 2020
As one cannot tell you this from experience it is very hard to prove it. It is a fact that your perception of everything is delayed and thus when you die fast enough you do not feel anything. The question is just how fast you die or go unconscious when falling to death.
You can be knocked out from a fall but not die. Ask People who had that experience? If they didn't feel impact, it would suggest if you fall and die you might not feel impact either.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone know of any sources that might lend credence to the claim that because parts of our perception (bodily, sensations of pain, etc) are delayed by some milliseconds, that one would not actually have enough time to become aware of impact with the ground before death (and thus a painless death)? I've read this claim before but it seems unlikely to me, just wondering if there's any more information about it out there.
I mean, it sounds good:

https://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/suicide_life_ends_six_meters_above_ground-78133

Maybe it's just about taking a leap of faith.

I too only had the article @GravityUtilizer mentions.

feast or famine

feast or famine

Tell Patient Zero he can have his rib back.
Jun 15, 2020
When I jumped from a 100 ft bridge into water, I went unconscious before I hit water. The impact was enough to fracture a bunch of bones in my back and ribs and collapse my lungs.

I don't even remember at what point I went unconscious. I didn't feel any pain upon hitting the water. I woke up after several seconds, floating, before I was rescued.

Reactions: tryingtoescape, Deathbydemo and Meditation guide
Deathbydemo

Deathbydemo

Mage
Feb 15, 2020
When I jumped from a 100 ft bridge into water, I went unconscious before I hit water. The impact was enough to fracture a bunch of bones in my back and ribs and collapse my lungs.

I don't even remember at what point I went unconscious. I didn't feel any pain upon hitting the water. I woke up after several seconds, floating, before I was rescued.
It's a miracle you survived. Were you sectioned afterwards?

feast or famine

feast or famine

Tell Patient Zero he can have his rib back.
Jun 15, 2020
It's a miracle you survived. Were you sectioned afterwards?
Yeah, I've been told by many of the doctors and nurses that it was a miracle I survived, especially without any permanent damage.

I spent a week in the hospital, then I was transferred to the psych ward for 3 weeks.

Blue LIPS

Blue LIPS

Ave Satanas
Jun 28, 2020
I'm sure there's a way to figure it out using mathematics. Velocity, mass, force and I guess overall average synapse response.

rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
I'm sure there's a way to figure it out using mathematics. Velocity, mass, force and I guess overall average synapse response.
Yeah, people did this. The question is just how fast your brain stops to process things after impact and that is the missing part in the equation.

Reactions: Blue LIPS
Blue LIPS

Blue LIPS

Ave Satanas
Jun 28, 2020
Yeah, people did this. The question is just how fast your brain stops to process things after impact and that is the missing part in the equation.

Hmmm, for decapitation isn't it like 5 seconds afterwards your senses still work? Less than that for sure, idk tbh. Probably a second at the most, depends how quickly your brain turns to a puddle.