• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

lemonbunny

lemonbunny

daydreaming the pain away ☆.。.:*・°
Sep 9, 2023
i'm freaking and sweating over this cover letter i have to write for a job i probably won't even get. i'm an adult now and i have to find a job otherwise my parents will suffer financially.

the competition is insane, i'm not graduated yet but freaking first years have more experience than me. recently i heard about a guy with a master's degree who struggled to even get hired. wtf is this job market, is it really that cruel? i'm so scared i'm not gonna get hired anywhere and end up working minimum wage and barely supporting my family.

do you guys have experience job hunting, and if so i would like to know how it went for you.

JaJu

JaJu

Apr 3, 2024
I think you've already heard part of my story, but I'm here to root for you and wish you the best in your job hunt. Hearing about the guy with a masters and struggling to get a job makes me think he's aiming for a decently high paying position to begin with. I don't have that level of education, so I ended up applying for a sales/customer rep position which is probably a lot easier to get accepted into, though the wage isn't that great. But I researched as much as I could about the company I wanted to apply for and used that knowledge during the interviews to prove that I'm genuinely interested in their mission and values, and not just there to earn money. Got the job (didn't think I would) after putting all that effort and I dread it LOL. Still new, so I think if I can get to a point where I know the company's products, policies, and process without even thinking, I will become more comfortable with the job and not dread it as much as I do now. I don't want to assume, but hearing that you're not graduated yet makes me think you're still fairly young, so do not lose hope so early! I had all those anxieties and I just had to throw myself out into the ocean to make myself swim. Any job you get will help you build experience and learn several skills that can transfer over to your next job, so don't fret about finding THE perfect job on your first try. Explore, experience, and learn as much as you can.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
Ehh it really depends on the field and location.

Put the exact words in the qualifications wanted on your resume. Edit for each job. You need to pass AI check.

Write a generic cover letter template. Nobody reads those.

Use Simplify to mass apply easier.

You can apply for internships instead of jobs if you're struggling to find work experience.

---

Also, retail isn't bad at all!! It depends where you work, but my manager doesn't take bitchy people and will kick them out of the store. I love my retail job. I do see the pay part being an issue though.

Last edited:
Reactions: lemonbunny and JaJu
lemonbunny

lemonbunny

Sep 9, 2023
Write a generic cover letter template. Nobody reads those.

Use Simplify to mass apply easier.

You can apply for internships instead of jobs if you're struggling to find work experience.

---

Also, retail isn't bad at all!! It depends where you work, but my manager doesn't take bitchy people and will kick them out of the store. I love my retail job. I do see the pay part being an issue though.
ty for the advice. yes, i can see myself doing a retail job but my university's stipend for this specific internship would really help my parents a lot with some fast cash. i might apply to hobby lobby if none of this works out tho. i like the craft vibes
Any job you get will help you build experience and learn several skills that can transfer over to your next job, so don't fret about finding THE perfect job on your first try. Explore, experience, and learn as much as you can.
yay glad to hear from u again. tysm for the advice, i really do take things so serious and personal bc i'm sensitive af i guess, even if millions of people go through this every day. i hope u get more comfy w ur job, it's a tough world out there

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JaJu
JaJu

JaJu

Apr 3, 2024
yay glad to hear from u again. tysm for the advice, i really do take things so serious and personal bc i'm sensitive af i guess, even if millions of people go through this every day. i hope u get more comfy w ur job, it's a tough world out there
Of course! I feel like I'm the same way lol we're two peas in a pod. Thanks for the best wishes, it is indeed a tough world out there, so it's really encouraging to see your post and your resolve to try your best despite challenges you may be dealing with. Wish you all the success in your endeavor!

StillBreathing

StillBreathing

Student
Dec 4, 2022
I work in IT and just went through 6 months of constant job hunting. It was hard, even with 7+ years of experience and good references, I was even asking for a salary below average during the interviews just to get a foot inside the door.

I was ghosted by 90% of the companies, most didn't even bother to let me know once they hired a person for the position. What I ended up doing was using my social network, asking around if anyone needed work.

I eventually got lucky and secured a contract working for a company through a family member. You might give it a try, unfortunately there is a lot of gate-keeping in some fields.

Edit: Spend some time simplifying your CV and cover letter while adding the most relevant projects or subjects you studied in school. (I actually used AI to do this, very helpful. Just make sure to edit it to your preference). A short but informative CV is much more appealing to read. Also be active in the time after sending your application. Wait a couple of weeks and give them a call if you haven't heard anything yet. Let them know you are interested to come in for a interview and prepare yourself if you do get one. Read up on the company and what they are working on. Apply for job postings even if you don't have all the experience or knowledge posted. Worst case you don't get the job, but at least there is a chance you do.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lemonbunny
lemonbunny

lemonbunny

Sep 9, 2023
Spend some time simplifying your CV and cover letter while adding the most relevant projects or subjects you studied in school. (I actually used AI to do this, very helpful. Just make sure to edit it to your preference). A short but informative CV is much more appealing to read. Also be active in the time after sending your application. Wait a couple of weeks and give them a call if you haven't heard anything yet. Let them know you are interested to come in for a interview and prepare yourself if you do get one. Read up on the company and what they are working on. Apply for job postings even if you don't have all the experience or knowledge posted. Worst case you don't get the job, but at least there is a chance you do.
oh interesting, my employer's only asking for a resume and cover letter. idk where to add what i studied in school though, because the template only includes stuff about gpa and past experience

Reactions: StillBreathing
StillBreathing

StillBreathing

Student
Dec 4, 2022
oh interesting, my employer's only asking for a resume and cover letter. idk where to add what i studied in school though, because the template only includes stuff about gpa and past experience
I would add it in the CV. I'm assuming you don't have much relevant work experience in the jobs you are applying for so focus on adding in different projects you worked on during your studies. You don't need to get into too much details but include what kind of technologies you used and what you were building.

What I did was asking an AI (chatgpt iirc) to create a template for me first. Then I asked it to add in different projects I wrote by hand and let the AI tweak it to be simple and brief reading.

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Your parents will have to suffer financially. Put yourself first. When you start cashing checks, they'll get their cut. Lol

Joining the workforce is a process. They understand this. Good luck!

Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
I'm also struggling to find a job/internship after a long time. I'll be graduating next year and I have to find some source of income, if I don't I'm not sure where I'll live or how I'll feed myself so I am desperate.

From what I've heard from other people struggling in the same way the best way to get something is through connections, so if you have a friend, friend of a family member, maybe some local company near where you live you might have much higher chances if you reach out and talk to them compared to sending out applications to open positions online since you'll have significantly less competition.

lemonbunny

lemonbunny

Sep 9, 2023
I'm also struggling to find a job/internship after a long time. I'll be graduating next year and I have to find some source of income, if I don't I'm not sure where I'll live or how I'll feed myself so I am desperate.

From what I've heard from other people struggling in the same way the best way to get something is through connections, so if you have a friend, friend of a family member, maybe some local company near where you live you might have much higher chances if you reach out and talk to them compared to sending out applications to open positions online since you'll have significantly less competition.
i have the same timeline >.< and yeah, connections r so important but its' hard when im such a loner like

Reactions: Final_Choice
AlexYaBoy

AlexYaBoy

The Lord of Dribblers
Mar 11, 2024
I'll give you so
I work in IT and just went through 6 months of constant job hunting. It was hard, even with 7+ years of experience and good references, I was even asking for a salary below average during the interviews just to get a foot inside the door.

I was ghosted by 90% of the companies, most didn't even bother to let me know once they hired a person for the position. What I ended up doing was using my social network, asking around if anyone needed work.

I eventually got lucky and secured a contract working for a company through a family member. You might give it a try, unfortunately there is a lot of gate-keeping in some fields.

Edit: Spend some time simplifying your CV and cover letter while adding the most relevant projects or subjects you studied in school. (I actually used AI to do this, very helpful. Just make sure to edit it to your preference). A short but informative CV is much more appealing to read. Also be active in the time after sending your application. Wait a couple of weeks and give them a call if you haven't heard anything yet. Let them know you are interested to come in for a interview and prepare yourself if you do get one. Read up on the company and what they are working on. Apply for job postings even if you don't have all the experience or knowledge posted. Worst case you don't get the job, but at least there is a ch

Edit: Spend some time simplifying your CV and cover letter while adding the most relevant projects or subjects you studied in school. (I actually used AI to do this, very helpful. Just make sure to edit it to your preference). A short but informative CV is much more appealing to read. Also be active in the time after sending your application. Wait a couple of weeks and give them a call if you haven't heard anything yet. Let them know you are interested to come in for a interview and prepare yourself if you do get one. Read up on the company and what they are working on. Apply for job postings even if you don't have all the experience or knowledge posted. Worst case you don't get the job, but at least there is a chance you do.
Sorry if I'm annoying anybody by saying this, but I thought that my input could help. Never, ever hint or directly state that you're willing to work for less than advertised. Don't know why, but employers find the concept uncomfortable. If you're in an interview, don't mention anything like that, unless they do. If you use a website and it asks you something similar to "What is your expected salary?", then whatever number that you input, you stick to during follow-ups. If there are follow-ups.

StillBreathing

StillBreathing

Student
Dec 4, 2022
I'll give you so

Sorry if I'm annoying anybody by saying this, but I thought that my input could help. Never, ever hint or directly state that you're willing to work for less than advertised. Don't know why, but employers find the concept uncomfortable. If you're in an interview, don't mention anything like that, unless they do. If you use a website and it asks you something similar to "What is your expected salary?", then whatever number that you input, you stick to during follow-ups. If there are follow-ups.
I totally agree. My situation is that I live in a place with lower wages compared to other parts of the country (small town) but you should never ask for a lower wage than posted or that can be expected for the position, taking location, experience etc into account.

• Love
Reactions: AlexYaBoy
Helvete

Helvete

Apr 9, 2024
Mass applying to jobs you dont qualify for is totally fine. School is really just proof that you are capable of learning, and everything you need at a job is mostly taught on the job. BTW this is coming from someone with 4 degrees that i never used. If you underqualify, just BS a little bit and fake it til you make it lol

lemonbunny

lemonbunny

Sep 9, 2023
Mass applying to jobs you dont qualify for is totally fine. School is really just proof that you are capable of learning, and everything you need at a job is mostly taught on the job. BTW this is coming from someone with 4 degrees that i never used. If you underqualify, just BS a little bit and fake it til you make it lol
this is similar to advice i got from a graduate. i rlly want to fake it til i make it like he did, but i think i get apologetic/ashamed too easily and feel intimidated and end up messing up too quick. gotta build up confidence to try new things i g