N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think of Ted Cruz who went to Harvard and Princeton and who is still pretending to be one of us. A common average dude and he does that for example by purposely lying on climate change.

I wish I was Ivy league educated. But my mind might be even too fragile to finish my bachelor's degree. I educated myself by watching stuff on youtube. I already watched a lot of lectures. I thought of listening to psychoanalysis but it always makes me bitter thinking of how horrendous my parents raised me. And how good my life could have been.

I am ambivalent. The elite gets educated there. A lot of them are conceited and look down at the average Joe and Jane. US colleges are still probably the best of the world. The pressure is allegedly insane so much that wanting to get an A at Haravard or similar colleges leads to a mental breakdown usually

I think for wanting to be an intellectual one has to get a good education. Sadly I am neither that extraordinary smart or educated. I am very thoughtful still. And my superpower to post infinite threads is worthwhile. My whole brain would probably be completely different if I was healthy. All men in the family of my dad have depression. My dad is in my opinion in a very bad shape cognitively. Maybe the manic part of my mind made me sharp but the price I pay is insane. Either way I think even if I was completely healthy I would not have had a great career. I had a way better life but I would never have had reached the peak I wanted to. I think I would have become a frustrated careerist stuck in a bureaucracy. The bond with my friends has become pretty deep since my mental collapse. But love related I am totally cursed. Maybe my qualities are better used posting creative threads than to work my ass off in a semi-high position. Sadly this does not get payed though. I think my thoughtfulness beats my intelligence. And I could never cope with the insane pressure in Ivy leagues colleges. I am way too neurotic and conscientious for that.

It would be interesting to join them for some semesters. But my mental fragility and lack of money makes that completely impossible. I wonder how many college students read this thread saying to themselves most average people have no clue how much the pressure tortures them (and financial pressure/the debts). I assume we don't have that many Ivy league members due to the fact it is very time consuming but lurkers I could imagine that. When I worked my ass off career wise I often developed suicidal ideation. Just imagining to jump in front of the train you usually take. The suicide rates in Asia are telling that so much pressure is not good for the human soul. At the same time as a society we really rely on overperformers who are able to work more than 80 hours a week. I certainly don't have the ability to do that. At least if I want to avoid mania. But I know how that feels. When I was manic as a student I worked sometimes 10-12 hours a day daily for months. Though this was not effective at all. It was a pretty stupid but I was young and not aware of my illness.

B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
Doesn't mean anything. Well, it can mean a few things, but it has nothing to do with a person's worth or intelligence. I know quite a lot of people who have graduated from ivy leagues-- some of them are very smart and some are just dumb. People get into those schools for different reasons, and at the end of the day, it doesn't hold any real weight. Some of the smartest most successful people in the world never went to ivy leagues-- or even got a formal education. Don't ever feel bad about not having gone to one, trust me, you're not missing out on anything. The quality of your life has nothing to do with what degree you hold or what school you went to. It's about what you decide to do and how you decide to do it.

Reactions: sserafim
Inthewind

Inthewind

Wondering Waevern
Sep 19, 2023
If someone went to a high ivy league school Id think darn because they are forced into lots of more hw and the more pristegeous the school just like the more money you gotta spend probably maybe annnd every school college is equal to me just some are seen as more pristegous for some reason. Im against the darn priestegous colleges and things costing more for no good reason but like i think because that school so pristegous they do have more ammenities than other colleges like prob a gym and ok food and big library to house lots students and still their dorms will be small and alright. I dont really know colleges stuff so it all speculation.

Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
Ivy League education gets you the benefit of an expansive alumni network and the opportunity to make connections that will hopefully advance your career. It also has all the associations of elitism, as you mentioned. Prestigious colleges, especially Ivy League ones, are more difficult to get into than they were over a decade ago because there is more of an emphasis than ever on extracurriculars. I was shocked to find that working a job (even multiple jobs) is considered a separate category from extracurriculars and not given as much weight by many college admissions teams as regular extracurricular activities.

• Informative
Reactions: noname223 and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
The quality of your life has nothing to do with what degree you hold or what school you went to. It's about what you decide to do and how you decide to do it.
I was Ivy League equivalent educated but I'm not making anything out of my degree or using it for anything right now though.

I agree, it's about what you decide to do with your life or degree. Wdym by "how you decide to do it"? Are there better ways to do things than others

B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
I was Ivy League equivalent educated but I'm not making anything out of my degree or using it for anything right now though.

I agree, it's about what you decide to do with your life or degree. Wdym by "how you decide to do it"? Are there better ways to do things than others
What I meant to say was that there are so many ways you can be successful. There are so many things you can decide to do with your life. And there isn't just one straight path to achieving something, you can achieve the same thing a lot of different ways. In my opinion, there aren't really any "bad" or "good"/ "wrong" or "right" ways to go about doing something, as long as it doesn't involve hurting anyone or being immoral.

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I associate it with money, connections, and those with spots at the big game table.

seho_j

seho_j

Nov 12, 2018
I am considered highly educated, I was in a graduate programme in the top uni of my country. What I felt was that the people there are intelligent and they know it. But they are quite ignorant outside their expertise. People do respond with respect and awe for some reason when I mention my uni but that is strange to me since the people that are impressed are just as intelligent as my colleagues were.

Like any group, there are nice people and there are shitty people in these "highly educated" institutions. But they all have in common the resilience to survive in such a cutthroat academic environment. I honestly didn't feel like I belonged there at all but they wanted me there so I was able to experience a lot of valuable things.

Although grad school and my research area was a good fit for me, I just couldn't function well as a human being, let alone a researcher and a student. It always results in the same. Sure, there was a moment of satisfaction to be accepted into a "prestigious university" but that's it. Nothing after that.

• Informative
Reactions: consider and noname223