• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

blueming

blueming

if we can stand outside the borders of time
Sep 21, 2018
One of my favourite books is Mark Twain's The Mysterious Stranger. It's centred around the character Satan who challenges and questions conventional views on morality, existence, free will etc. There are a lot of themes like that explored in the story but after reading it again some of his takes on "happiness" have specifically caught my attention.

"Are you so unobservant as not to have found out that sanity and happiness are an impossible combination? No sane man can be happy, for to him life is real, and he sees what a fearful thing it is. Only the mad can be happy, and not many of those. The few that imagine themselves kings or gods are happy, the rest are no happier than the sane. Of course, no man is entirely in his right mind at any time."

"Every man is a suffering-machine and a happiness-machine combined. The two functions work together harmoniously, with a fine and delicate precision, on the give-and-take principle. For every happiness turned out in the one department the other stands ready to modify it with a sorrow or a pain--maybe a dozen. In most cases the man's life is about equally divided between happiness and unhappiness. When this is not the case the unhappiness predominates--always; never the other. Sometimes a man's make and disposition are such that his misery- machine is able to do nearly all the business. Such a man goes through life almost ignorant of what happiness is. Everything he touches, everything he does, brings a misfortune upon him. You have seen such people? To that kind of a person life is not an advantage, is it? It is only a disaster. Sometimes for an hour's happiness a man's machinery makes him pay years of misery."

I wholly agree with these views. A state of continuous happiness is unattainable. Every bit of happiness is countered with a corresponding amount of unhappiness - often the balance is skewed towards unhappiness with leads to lives filled predominantly with suffering. I think it's a tragic existence when even brief moments of joy come at the price of prolonged misery. "True" happiness must be a result of madness, reserved only for those who are delusional and ignorant of life's realities.

Is life worth living at all when for most of us, it's just filled with an almost endless misery with random moments of happiness thrown at us from time to time? It's not just the outright tragedies, but also the smaller inconveniences that accumulate and make your life just a little bit harder. Sometimes I feel like life is like a drug and we are all addicted. It's toxic, destructive and is poisoning us inside and out but it occasionally delivers us a little dopamine rush and in the end we find ourselves ignoring the damage it causes, deluding ourselves that these fleeting moments are worth it and relentlessly pursuing the next high.

Oh for anyone who's interested in reading the book: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3186/3186-h/3186-h.htm

sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
I agree. Life is suffering and desire is the root of suffering. As long as you're alive, you will inevitably have desires. There's also a pleasure and pain asymmetry in life. There are endless ways to suffer and feel pain but few ways to feel good or happy.

Reactions: blueming
Throwawayacc3

Throwawayacc3

Freedom
Mar 4, 2024
One of my favourite books is Mark Twain's The Mysterious Stranger. It's centred around the character Satan who challenges and questions conventional views on morality, existence, free will etc. There are a lot of themes like that explored in the story but after reading it again some of his takes on "happiness" have specifically caught my attention.

"Are you so unobservant as not to have found out that sanity and happiness are an impossible combination? No sane man can be happy, for to him life is real, and he sees what a fearful thing it is. Only the mad can be happy, and not many of those. The few that imagine themselves kings or gods are happy, the rest are no happier than the sane. Of course, no man is entirely in his right mind at any time."

"Every man is a suffering-machine and a happiness-machine combined. The two functions work together harmoniously, with a fine and delicate precision, on the give-and-take principle. For every happiness turned out in the one department the other stands ready to modify it with a sorrow or a pain--maybe a dozen. In most cases the man's life is about equally divided between happiness and unhappiness. When this is not the case the unhappiness predominates--always; never the other. Sometimes a man's make and disposition are such that his misery- machine is able to do nearly all the business. Such a man goes through life almost ignorant of what happiness is. Everything he touches, everything he does, brings a misfortune upon him. You have seen such people? To that kind of a person life is not an advantage, is it? It is only a disaster. Sometimes for an hour's happiness a man's machinery makes him pay years of misery."

I wholly agree with these views. A state of continuous happiness is unattainable. Every bit of happiness is countered with a corresponding amount of unhappiness - often the balance is skewed towards unhappiness with leads to lives filled predominantly with suffering. I think it's a tragic existence when even brief moments of joy come at the price of prolonged misery. "True" happiness must be a result of madness, reserved only for those who are delusional and ignorant of life's realities.

Is life worth living at all when for most of us, it's just filled with an almost endless misery with random moments of happiness thrown at us from time to time? It's not just the outright tragedies, but also the smaller inconveniences that accumulate and make your life just a little bit harder. Sometimes I feel like life is like a drug and we are all addicted. It's toxic, destructive and is poisoning us inside and out but it occasionally delivers us a little dopamine rush and in the end we find ourselves ignoring the damage it causes, deluding ourselves that these fleeting moments are worth it and relentlessly pursuing the next high.

Oh for anyone who's interested in reading the book: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3186/3186-h/3186-h.htm
I've been chronically online and never seem to have read books like this (I only read books about animals/educational aspects) but I loved what they did this as claymation:

A lot of people see the visual aspect as creepy but the words are way more compelling. You can see who is actually thinking about the context rather than the visual representation.

I don't think I've ever experience "happy". I always frame it as content. Whether that's autism I'm not sure but that's how my mind categorises it. Happy seems like a drug. Same as sad - the polar opposite but it's always one or the other.

blueming

blueming

if we can stand outside the borders of time
Sep 21, 2018
I agree. Life is suffering and desire is the root of suffering. As long as you're alive, you will inevitably have desires. There's also a pleasure and pain asymmetry in life. There are endless ways to suffer and feel pain but few ways to feel good or happy.
Yes exactly, desire plays a crucial role. Humans will never be satisfied with what they have and are constantly looking for more, more, more. We're stuck on a hamster wheel, endlessly chasing the next thing that we hope will bring us happiness but not getting anywhere at all. Wanting without end yet never being satisfied.

If life has any purpose or meaning at all, it's suffering. The scales are inherently tipped against us.

I've been chronically online and never seem to have read books like this (I only read books about animals/educational aspects) but I loved what they did this as claymation:

A lot of people see the visual aspect as creepy but the words are way more compelling. You can see who is actually thinking about the context rather than the visual representation.

I don't think I've ever experience "happy". I always frame it as content. Whether that's autism I'm not sure but that's how my mind categorises it. Happy seems like a drug. Same as sad - the polar opposite but it's always one or the other.

Oh wow! I had no idea something like this was made, thanks so much for sharing ^^ It's a little strange that this was in a kid's movie haha, but apart from that I actually don't find it all that creepy, I think it's quite a creative take on the story.

Reactions: Throwawayacc3
bipolar22

bipolar22

Aug 31, 2022
Its impossible to be happy for a long time of course. It requires neurotransmitters and if one where to be happy all the time they would run low and crash. hence the comedown of drugs and bipolar or the honeymoon of being in love happiness. thats different from contemptness which we all seek. Even when times are hard you can still be contempt with you life. some people live the good life and they have challenges but still are contompt overall. take professional athletes. painful to train hard but adding richness to their life. its not all black and white like for us sad lost people. and keep in mind alot of writers are booze heads who think they talk deep but its acutally not all that enlightening

Last edited: