• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Watcher

Watcher

Student
Nov 17, 2018
Like the title says, do you think it's possible to overcome a mental illness? Especially, a major depression?

I was asking myself the question that camus says in his philosophy, ¿Does it worths to live life or not?

¿Does my life worths? ¿Even if I'm a mess?...

• Hugs
Reactions: sólstafir, Egddios, Sunset764 and 3 others
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Yes. But this is not the place where I would look for answers. A major depressive episode can naturally remit by itself without intervention.

Also approaching it with a common sense approach such as regular light.moderate excercise and a clean diet can help. And if possible uplifting company and find ways to be positive. Browsing on a forum for people who are suicidal is on the worst things you can do if you want to get out of it.

Reactions: cornflowerblue, Watcher, Pineapplecrown and 6 others
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
It would seem people do overcome it or at least learn to live with it. Whether your life is worth living is a question only you can answer.

Before turning to suicide I would exhaust all reasonable options if I were you.

Reactions: Misanthrope, Pineapplecrown, Nihil and 5 others
BlueMeanie88

BlueMeanie88

Jun 16, 2019
I'm asking myself the same question. My doctor diagnosed me with persistent depressive disorder with major depressive episodes, i don't even understand that diagnosis. I don't see how it could ever go away. I've gotten so much more jaded as time goes on.

Reactions: Pineapplecrown and marie71
dandan

dandan

One more attempt on life.
Feb 18, 2019
While I'm able to change the conversation in my head , then in know I can overcome depression and thoughts, just better thoughts are needed....... I guess mind work has to have an effect doesn't it???

If I'm bitching , complaining and regretting all day then my day sucks

Reactions: BlueMeanie88
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
Like the title says, do you think it's possible to overcome a mental illness? Especially, a major depression?

I was asking myself the question that camus says in his philosophy, ¿Does it worths to live life or not?

Here. You need this. I post this a lot because I think it's important for depressed people to cultivate an absurd view of life, rather than just letting the absurdity of existence crush you.
It helps me, anyway.
Enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: dandan and AtomicNewt
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019

Please find another site for help. This place is soul crushing if your looking revovery.

Reactions: salibu and 08nomore
AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

A girl doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her
Jun 5, 2019
Was thinking about this earlier. First it probably helps if you have shit loads of money. The only MH worker that seemed to uncannily completely get me was a very expensive shrink in London who was assessing me for a compensation claim. Sadly I can't afford that and the scant dealings I've had with others has ranged from useless to actively making my brain worse. As others have said on here services are frequently difficult to access and often the MH workers given to the non-minted of us are incompetent or merely interested in picking up their pay check.

Guess secondly it will always depend on the individual, some seem to have issues that work in cycles and others never seem to truly shake something like depression off - it's that thought in particular that makes me shudder, imagine feeling like this for another 30 years! It would be torture. Also feel like if you've truly suffered with certain serious mental health problems, perhaps even all, sadly there is no cure, the best you can hope for is learning to manage it. That's what made me furious with ptsd, realising it was never going to be "cured". You should look for the value in your own life, its not always easy but if you can try, think ultimately its only you that can make the call on whether your life is worth it. Think the problem many people make is seeking validation through others. That way pain lies.

Not sure about other people and how they feel but I'm now at a stage where I don't even feel like a real person anymore. Certainly my personality has disappeared somewhere, it feels like it's gone forever, so the death of my body isn't really death, as I feel as though really I died a long time ago. I'm now just a big ball of different MH issues which incapacitate and control me. And now I am weary of fighting, I've lost my battles with myself, certainly now devoid of hope that anything will get better...

That's my mind splurge over, for now! All the best to all, fight for as long as you can.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Weems, BlueMeanie88, SinisterKid and 1 other person
Rollo

Rollo

No pasaran
Aug 13, 2018

I know it's possible because I overcame it (anxiety). It's no walk in the park though.

• Hugs
Reactions: not_a_robot, Soul, AtomicNewt and 2 others
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

May 30, 2019
Please find another site for help. This place is soul crushing if your looking revovery.
That's unnecessarily negative and melodramatic. It actually makes me feel better to be with people who can see beyond the false positivity of our society, I've never found that before. I wish we could all go out with a little festive Bon Voyage party together.
Dressed as clowns.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: jrums, AutumnEmbers, Boonks and 11 others
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
That's unnecessarily negative and melodramatic. It actually makes me feel better to be with people who can see beyond the false positivity of our society, I've never found that before. I wish we could all go out with a little festive Bon Voyage party together.
Dressed as clowns.

It's a forum where people are more or less celebrating suicide.

• Hmph!
  • Hugs
Reactions: salibu, 08nomore, Rex2019 and 1 other person
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

May 30, 2019
It's a forum where people are more or less celebrating suicide.
WHAAAAAAT???
It is?
just kidding.
That's not soul-crushing for everybody. Some people see it as an escape, not a tragedy. Some people see our society as the real tragedy.

• Love
Reactions: jrums, Fadinglife, Darkmornings and 5 others
AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

Jun 5, 2019
If you think that this place is soul crushing you really haven't been paying attention. I would also imagine with that attitude you've never suffered from a major mental or physical illness. People here aren't encouraging others to commit suicide or not to seek recovery. First time in my life I've not felt alone with my head and thoughts and cannot explain what that means especially to someone that's clearly never felt totally isolated. Wishing the OP all the best, sure everyone hopes he finds recovery, we will be here to provide support whatever happens. Non-judgmental, PRO-CHOICE bunch here :wink:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Boonks, freya, Darkmornings and 3 others
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
If you think that this place is soul crushing you really haven't been paying attention. I would also imagine with that attitude you've never suffered from a major mental or physical illness. People here aren't encouraging others to commit suicide or to not seek recovery. First time in my life I've not felt alone with my head and thoughts and cannot explain what that means to someone that's never felt totally isolated. Wishing the OP all the best, sure everyone hopes he finds recovery, we will be here to provide support whatever happens. Non-judgmental, PRO-CHOICE bunch here :wink:

If you had a depressed child would you prefer them hanging out here or somewhere else?

Reactions: 08nomore
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
Browsing on a forum for people who are suicidal is on the worst things you can do if you want to get out of it.

And yet there are many people here who claim being able to express their suicidal thoughts without judgement actually does help them. Including those who 'recovered'. Lets not pretend you're an expert on this subject, shall we? Many find it a relief to be away from the cheerful, mindlessly optimistic crowd who usually won't even acknowledge they have a problem and are suffering or conversly overreact and have them committed.

Stating this forum is detrimental to one's so called mental health or god forbid 'soul crushing' (whatever that may mean) is pretty much parrotting the media and social bias against this site. I'm sure they're glad they have someone on the inside spreading the message.

Who here is 'celebrating' suicide? Of course anyone who finds him/herself here considers suicide a possible solution (at least when they don't have ulterior motives) and for those who actually do it it probably comes as a relief to have finally decided but I think almost anyone here realizes it's a grim business and at best the lesser of two evils.

You're quite fond of objectifying and generalizing your own personal, subjective views and impressions, aren't you? You present your opinions as fact without providing one shred of evidence.

If you're going to continue badmouthing this forum go preach somewhere else. There's actually a rule against that now.

Reactions: AutumnEmbers, Boonks, Fadinglife and 7 others
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
I would prefer they hung out here because here, there is a modicum of understanding about the issues that lead us to where we are at. Elsewhere, we just get meaningless platitudes about how it will all get better if we just let it.

I wrote a thread the other day where I expressed my surprise at the amount of compassion and understanding I have found in my short time here. I dont think that is akin to celebrating anything. No one is trying to save us all and certainly no one is asking or telling us to end our lives. What we do get is being able to exchange views and opinions with others who are similar/same as ourselves, which Jean rightly points out as therapeutic to many people here.

I actually feel less isolated and more accepted for finding this place. People here "get" me and I dont have to pretend to be someone I am not, which is a constant in the real world.

• Hugs
Reactions: AutumnEmbers, Fadinglife, Darkmornings and 5 others
dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
I've been diagnosed bipolar, lithium medicated,
I've been electroshocked in my head
I'm still available to get a job as a software automation guy, im not the best, but I dont SUCK, well a little bit...
but I got my own project and working on my own ideas too, maybe thats why im not the best at my JOB
Im still suffering from occasional desire to die, because I dont see a point in living,
today is monday, I've got to push myself to have a good day, it wont come easily, I need to pay the price, do things, then I feel good
I'm overcoming my fucking illness, or at least im managing it,,, at the moment... currently.. .doesnt mean Im 100% yet, although 100% should be possible
I cant change the past

I got no power over the past

But today I have the power to do things that can alter my state and help change my situation somehow

Its all in the mind, except some real phsycall disabilities or medical problems which the mind has no power on, I think.

Change your mind change your reality, and phrases like that sometimes really disturb me, because I can get to hate them!!

Reactions: Boonks, not_a_robot, BlueMeanie88 and 1 other person
AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

Jun 5, 2019
If you had a depressed child would you prefer them hanging out here or somewhere else?
Oh wow. So this is where we're at yeah. Well as people are now required to be over 18 that shouldn't be a problem anyhoo. As it happens I do hope this particular person does seek help as feel they might have a chance of decent chance at recovery, however without anymore details can't tell what's leading them to question their own existence, so will keep an open mind. When I was 17/18 I had four months of hospitals, surgeries and recovery after a serious car accident, with the possibility I would be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. Sure as shit was thinking about suicide then, is that allowed? Never assume you know someone's full story. This place would have been a godsend for me at that time, for the support it offers to all and for knowing that if my existence did become unbearable I would have options and support . Again, if they are 22, I personally believe that is often too young to know for sure you've exhausted your options in many circumstances, but again that's not for sure and just my opinion.

You do a disservice to the people here by implying that it is this community which drives despair and not the crappy lives some people have inflicted on them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AutumnEmbers, Fadinglife, not_a_robot and 3 others
V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018

Depend on how far you're willing to go and what you're willing to do.

Propter vitam vivendi perdere causas.

To destroy the reasons of living for the sake of life. Words I once hold tightly onto. In an effort to end my pains. I throw away my reasons, meanings and embrace the nothingness. I thought by doing so will finally grant me peace and yes it did. I succeeded in ending the pain. Found the peace and so much more. But in truth you only trade away your depression for something else.

Not that I mind it. I actually glad I did that. I would rather die sober than deluded never knowing why. But this path isnt suited for everyone. I wont recommend people to try it. They might not want to pay the same price I had.

Reactions: not_a_robot
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
And yet there are many people here who claim being able to express their suicidal thoughts without judgement actually does help them. Including those who 'recovered'. Lets not pretend you're an expert on this subject, shall we? Many find it a relief to be away from the cheerful, mindlessly optimistic crowd who usually won't even acknowledge they have a problem and are suffering or conversly overreact and have them committed.

Stating this forum is detrimental to one's so called mental health or god forbid 'soul crushing' (whatever that may mean) is pretty much parrotting the media and social bias against this site. I'm sure they're glad they have someone on the inside spreading the message.

Who here is 'celebrating' suicide? Of course anyone who finds him/herself here considers suicide a possible solution (at least when they don't have ulterior motives) and for those who actually do it it probably comes as a relief to have finally decided but I think almost anyone here realizes it's a grim business and at best the lesser of two evils.

You're quite fond of objectifying and generalizing your own personal, subjective views and impressions, aren't you? You present your opinions as fact without providing one shred of evidence.

If you're going to continue badmouthing this forum go preach somewhere else. There's actually a rule against that now.

I am sorry, have we talked?

If we can agree that suicide is not a succesfull measurement of healing from mental illness and that far more people here commit suicide and are planning to commit suicide than on any other forum would you not agree that there are better places to look for healing?

Reactions: salibu
AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

Jun 5, 2019
I am sorry, have we talked?

If we can agree that suicide is not a succesfull measurement of healing from mental illness and that far more people here commit suicide and are planning to commit suicide than on any other forum would you not agree that there are better places to look for healing?
Can I just ask you why you are here? Genuinely.

Perhaps there are better places to look for - whatever it is you are searching for... Really, there are some cracking echo chambers out there, you can heal each other via the medium of mindless slogans, or whatever it is that floats your boat. But please don't do it here x

• Love
Reactions: not_a_robot
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Can I just ask you why you are here? Genuinely.

Perhaps there are better places to look for - whatever it is you are searching for... Really, there are some cracking echo chambers out there, you can heal each other via the medium of mindless slogans, or whatever it is that floats your boat. But please don't do it here x

I'm sorry have I said something deeply insane? Something deeply insensitive?

dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
far more people here commit suicide and are planning to commit suicide than on any other forum would you not agree that there are better places to look for healing?

I'm making an attempt to live life
Sure I have other sources to look for healing
This forum is my experimental forum and also thanks cause now I have N and starting from ground up.

Venting and writing here is also healing and for me, safe place to call it quits if I have too, but oooh no, not yet, I'm doing it this time, keeping focused in living life and what can I accomplish with what I got, no matter my past.

Reactions: AtomicNewt
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
I think Shamana, if you read your previous post, you might just answer your own question. The OP asks a simple question with no regard to the term "healing", only you mention that word. You start by saying "look for help elsewhere" when there is no mention in the original post of looking for help either. Then you mention the word "recovery" which is completely independent of the term, healing. So you jump back and forth using any language that suits your end, which is not consistent.

Asking if you would prefer a depressed child to hang here or elsewhere online is both crass and insensitive.

Reactions: AtomicNewt
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
I think Shamana, if you read your previous post, you might just answer your own question. The OP asks a simple question with no regard to the term "healing", only you mention that word. You start by saying "look for help elsewhere" when there is no mention in the original post of looking for help either. Then you mention the word "recovery" which is completely independent of the term, healing. So you jump back and forth using any language that suits your end, which is not consistent.

Asking if you would prefer a depressed child to hang here or elsewhere online is both crass and insensitive.

What is great difference between healing and recovery? When I'm saying look for help elsewhere, I am being 100% absolutely geniune. This website is called "sanctioned suicide" and it's a place where the vast majority of users have planned their own suicide. If you are from the school of thought that suicide is the worst case scenario, then hanging out here does not make a lot of sense.

When I use the analogy of a child, it is to mean someone who is very dear to you, someone you deeply wish will be free from suffering and experience happiness. Again If I had someone who was very dear to me, looking for help, this would not be the place where i'd send them? Is it a very difficult concept to comprehend?

dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
Sometimes it's needed to be a little insensitive to get the idea through.

Of course I would rather have my kid here than instead doing nothing and just suffering completely alone in his bed or with no one to talk too. If he was your kid why doesn't she talk to you? Maybe not a comprehensive father/mother?

I do talk about ctb with my mom, my father has banned communication regarding the matter.

Reactions: jrums, AutumnEmbers and Soul
WinterIsComing

WinterIsComing

Fragile...
May 27, 2019
I have found people recover the question is the amount.
I guess is a change of perception?

SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Great linguistic juggling my friend. If you meant someone dear to you, dont say child, say, someone dear to you.

You completely miss the point [as per usual]. No one mentions healing or help, only you. So you make reference to situations only you mention, hence me pointing that out to you, which is obviously over your head. So please, do not talk of concepts when you dont understand simple language terminology.

We could, as per usual, bang back and forth all night no doubt, with one or the other determined to have the last word. If you know anything about me, as I have already stated in this very forum, its that I know and admit when I am in the wrong and do not mind in the slightest. You on the other hand will never do that same because your pride prevents you from doing so. Thats fine, I dont mind, none of us are perfect. But I will gladly provide you with a spade/shovel so you can dig that hole you are in a bit deeper.

Time to move on from this as we are never going to be singing from the same hymn sheet and life is too short to bandy words with a mere blatherskite.

Sorry to the original poster [again, I am making a habit of this] for hijacking your thread.

• Hugs
Reactions: Boonks, Soul and AtomicNewt
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Great linguistic juggling my friend. If you meant someone dear to you, dont say child, say, someone dear to you.

You completely miss the point [as per usual]. No one mentions healing or help, only you. So you make reference to situations only you mention, hence me pointing that out to you, which is obviously over your head. So please, do not talk of concepts when you dont understand simple language terminology.

We could, as per usual, bang back and forth all night no doubt, with one or the other determined to have the last word. If you know anything about me, as I have already stated in this very forum, its that I know and admit when I am in the wrong and do not mind in the slightest. You on the other hand will never do that same because your pride prevents you from doing so. Thats fine, I dont mind, none of us are perfect. But I will gladly provide you with a spade/shovel so you can dig that hole you are in a bit deeper.

Time to move on from this as we are never going to be singing from the same hymn sheet and life is too short to bandy words with a mere blatherskite.

Sorry to the original poster [again, I am making a habit of this] for hijacking your thread.

To overcome a mental illness is not really different from healing or recovering from a mental illness. We can all agree that killing yourself is not a succesfull outcome, hence lurking around a place where many commit suicide and many intend to commit suicide and provide advice how to commit suicide is not a great place for someone, you don't want to commit suicide.

Meanwhile, I get scolded for saying this not a great place to ask advice for overcoming/healing/recovering from mental illness, but no one bats an eyelid at this?

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/rigging-up-a-self-decapitation-device.17940/

Last edited:
AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

Jun 5, 2019
I'm sorry have I said something deeply insane? Something deeply insensitive?
Like so much in life, I find insanity is subjective.

Oh, and why are you here? Not asking for a thesis on the meaning of life, just why are you posting here?

Reactions: SinisterKid