S

SuicidalCurryBoy

Aug 22, 2020
I never thought my life would come to this.

I always thought that I would eventually sort things out.

But no... I'm 25 and still a kissless virgin with barely any friends. I was bullied through out all of my childhood. Rejected by girls. Betrayed by friends. I was foolish enough to believe that if I put in effort, it would all work out.

But the truth is... it didn't

I was fat as a kid, and I became really fat after school.
At my heaviest I was at 100 kg.
I lost that weight in 3 months. Got it down to 72 ish.
But as a result of my weightloss, I started to lose hair at the age of 21.
I did everything that people tell us to do. I put in effort and applied my self.

I got an IT degree (big mistake) , got abs through rigorous diet and exercise, I ate clean and I published a novel.

But my life didn't change. I was still faced with the same romantic rejections. I can't even get a job because my degree didn't teach me anything usefull. So I started learning through Udemy. I don't think I can actually do a job, because nearly every workplace already employs people who bullied me or hurt me in some way. I can't stand the thought of being near these people. It's just like school.

The times I was actually happy during my life can be counted on one hand, and I won't need all the fingers.

Today, I was just finishing up a Udemy Tutorial. Throughout college, I was always afraid that I wouldn't be a good programmer. Because I have trouble concentrating and remembering. Doing these tutorials gave me confidence, cuz I was able to fix bugs on my own without asking anyone. I thought that even though I have to rely on tutorials to code, I can still read and change them to do what I want.

But today... I was about to deploy the web app I made, and there was an error pushing it to the server. I kept checking ever nook and cranny, and I even fixed a few typos, but the error didn't go away.

It made me so incompetent.

I wanted to find freelance work, which is why I applied for this. But now I can't even deploy a web app.

I can't believe it has come to this.

I'm 25 now, gonna be 26 in july, I've had 0 romantic success, 0 success in employment, and my skills are subpar at best.

Meanwhile, those who hurt me are getting paid well.

A certain greenday song lyric comes to mind

"Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you, having fun"

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Spitfire, lobster salad, it's_all_a_game and 5 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Holy shit, brutal. This is me in three years (without the degree, novel, abs or app). Well, it would be worse if you didn't do all of that, trust me. When we exercise, eat well and work toward the future and then feel like shit--we have to remember that it would be even worse if we didn't do anything.

• Hugs
Reactions: Spitfire
S

SuicidalCurryBoy

Aug 22, 2020
Holy shit, brutal. This is me in three years (without the degree, novel, abs or app). Well, it would be worse if you didn't do all of that, trust me. When we exercise, eat well and work toward the future and then feel like shit--we have to remember that it would be even worse if we didn't do anything.
I guess I would be a fat guy who was single, and unemployed.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I guess I would be a fat guy who was single, and unemployed.
And maybe feel a lot worse emotionally and physically. And perhaps being less able to improve his position (focusing on mental health and employment here, dating is completely fucked unless you have a social circle).

fixitinpost

fixitinpost

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Oct 20, 2020
From one developer to another, I think you're doing fine. You've just gotten started, and I've worked with people in their 40s who wouldn't be able to deploy a web app. At least 75% of my day is spent Googling stuff, because it's pretty much impossible to keep everything in your head. And sometimes you can spend days being stuck on something, trying everything you can think of, and it'll end up being an extra slash you put somewhere. It's not a great feeling I know, but it'll happen to the most seasoned programmers and you'll eventually learn to shrug it off hopefully. Programming is a very delicate art.

Freelancing is a lot of fun, so long as you're prepared for all the non-programming work that goes into it. Unfortunately there are clients who will try to take advantage of inexperienced freelancers, so watch out for that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: everydayiloveyou
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Sounds like a network issue if your web app didn't push to the server correctly. If someone were to access the app, it would still process, but throw up errors.

Feels like you've been pushing yourself a lot to do better and that past mistakes weigh heavily on you that you crash and burn harder today than on most days. Take a break, do something relaxing and away from programming. IT is stressful enough as it is without having a mental illness making it 10x worse.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I have a friend (and a student) who is a software engineer so I kinda understand the hell you're going through. Some days he's just way too frustrated because the error might be something very easy to solve be he just can't find it.
Anyway, he works as a freelancer and earns lots of money so, don't give up! I bet you're quite good at programming!

As for the girls, well, I've been rejected thousands of times. Just keep on trying! You're not fat anymore and that's a lot. My weight is around 106kg and girls still look at me from time to time haha. It's not impossible! You just need confidence.

Crying sometimes helps. Keep on crying until there's no tears left and then try to face life again.

For the things you've mentioned, you're a successful. intelligent and responsible person and that my friend, is a LOT.

Reactions: SuicidalCurryBoy
S

SuicidalCurryBoy

Aug 22, 2020
How tall are you?
5'9"
almost 5'10"
From one developer to another, I think you're doing fine. You've just gotten started, and I've worked with people in their 40s who wouldn't be able to deploy a web app. At least 75% of my day is spent Googling stuff, because it's pretty much impossible to keep everything in your head. And sometimes you can spend days being stuck on something, trying everything you can think of, and it'll end up being an extra slash you put somewhere. It's not a great feeling I know, but it'll happen to the most seasoned programmers and you'll eventually learn to shrug it off hopefully. Programming is a very delicate art.

Freelancing is a lot of fun, so long as you're prepared for all the non-programming work that goes into it. Unfortunately there are clients who will try to take advantage of inexperienced freelancers, so watch out for that too.

You better not be lying
Sounds like a network issue if your web app didn't push to the server correctly. If someone were to access the app, it would still process, but throw up errors.

Feels like you've been pushing yourself a lot to do better and that past mistakes weigh heavily on you that you crash and burn harder today than on most days. Take a break, do something relaxing and away from programming. IT is stressful enough as it is without having a mental illness making it 10x worse.
I think it's a problem with .git or package(dot)json

S

SuicidalCurryBoy

Aug 22, 2020

I fixed it today.

Apparently I had made multiple .git files the frontend and the backend when they should've been in the root folder
NO idea how that happened.

fixitinpost

fixitinpost

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Oct 20, 2020
I fixed it today.

Apparently I had made multiple .git files the frontend and the backend when they should've been in the root folder
NO idea how that happened.

Great! Sounds like your hunch was right.

You better not be lying

Nah! The Googling thing has even become a bit of a meme.

With experience, it'll become easier to know where to start troubleshooting problems like these. Life will of course keep throwing curve balls at you, but that's just the way it is.

S

SuicidalCurryBoy

Aug 22, 2020
Great! Sounds like your hunch was right.

Nah! The Googling thing has even become a bit of a meme.

With experience, it'll become easier to know where to start troubleshooting problems like these. Life will of course keep throwing curve balls at you, but that's just the way it is.
yeah lol, I know.

Since I got two MERN apps under my belt, I decided to start learning flutter.

There are still some minor glitches in my code though. Most of them come from running the app on a mobile browser.