Amira

Amira

Student
Nov 15, 2018
Is this rope good enough?
It is 10mm and can hold upto 200 pounds. ( I weigh 48kg to 50kg)
Its heavy duty and tear resistant.

Attachments

• 20181217_141050.jpg
    20181217_141050.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Final Escape and 1 other person
V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018
I think you would want a more comfortable one. Rope thats too thin hurt. Unless you use padding on it.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap
therhydler

therhydler

Enlightened
Dec 7, 2018
I think you would want a more comfortable one. Rope thats too thin hurt. Unless you use padding on it.

They hurt but don't they compress the arteries better? I think this width would be good with padding

Reactions: sif and Lifeisatrap
Amira

Amira

Student
Nov 15, 2018
Its 10mm? I thought thats thick

therhydler

therhydler

Enlightened
Dec 7, 2018
Its 10mm? I thought thats thick

I think it's good thats what I wanted to buy but I have no experience so can't promise. But I think it also shouldnt be too thick because then it's less effective so this one should be good with padding

therhydler

therhydler

Enlightened
Dec 7, 2018
Btw are you planning on partial or full?

V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018
They hurt but don't they compress the arteries better? I think this width would be good with padding

Yes if one do it without padding well the person will feel the full force of the weight. Padding is always better. Like holding plastic bag. If the hoop got too thin our finger hurt.

Reactions: sif, End.of.the.line and Lifeisatrap
bigj75

bigj75

“From Knowledge springs power."
Sep 1, 2018
add some padding.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and therhydler
Jiva

Jiva

I want ...
Nov 18, 2018
Is this rope good enough?
It is 10mm and can hold upto 200 pounds. ( I weigh 48kg to 50kg)
Its heavy duty and tear resistant.
I think this is suitable. Also i recommend use a some lubricants into knot for easy tightening (soap, oil).

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap and therhydler
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
Looking at the diameter and the break strength, I would say that it should work.

However, 200# break strength on a 10mm rope means it's a pretty wimpy rope --a typical 10mm rope for use on a boat should carry something closer to 2000#. If you're worried about it breaking, try not to run it over any hard corners --like the edges of doors. If you must do so, pad those corners so that they don't cut into the rope.

If you can't pad the corners, then at the very least do a non-lethal trial run with your exact set up: suspend your entire weight on it to make sure it won't break. Bounce on it a bit, to shock-load the rope above your own body weight. Try to break the rope, so that you know that when the time comes, and you aren't trying to break it, it will hold you.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Amira and therhydler
Amira

Amira

Student
Nov 15, 2018
Looking at the diameter and the break strength, I would say that it should work.

However, 200# break strength on a 10mm rope means it's a pretty wimpy rope --a typical 10mm rope for use on a boat should carry something closer to 2000#. If you're worried about it breaking, try not to run it over any hard corners --like the edges of doors. If you must do so, pad those corners so that they don't cut into the rope.

If you can't pad the corners, then at the very least do a non-lethal trial run with your exact set up: suspend your entire weight on it to make sure it won't break. Bounce on it a bit, to shock-load the rope above your own body weight. Try to break the rope, so that you know that when the time comes, and you aren't trying to break it, it will hold you.
I am going to tie it to a metal handle bar

Reactions: sif, SiArc and Lifeisatrap
Lady black

Lady black

35 male, central Europe, German speaking
Oct 22, 2018
For partial hanging it´s ok, if it´s not stretchable

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
I am going to tie it to a metal handle bar
I would still suggest that you do a test. Set up a length of it with a loop at the end, not a noose. Stand in the loop. Bounce on it a couple times.

If you want to be extra sure, wear a knapsack full of books while you bounce.

As I said, for 10mm rope, that is really wimpy rope if it can only carry 200#. If it were me, I'd do a test.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap
Amira

Amira

Student
Nov 15, 2018
I would still suggest that you do a test. Set up a length of it with a loop at the end, not a noose. Stand in the loop. Bounce on it a couple times.

If you want to be extra sure, wear a knapsack full of books while you bounce.

As I said, for 10mm rope, that is really wimpy rope if it can only carry 200#. If it were me, I'd do a test.
Stand in the loop? Sorry I am not sure I understand that. So the noose where I am supposed to put around my neck, I will use my feet to bounce on instead?

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
Stand in the loop? Sorry I am not sure I understand that. So the noose where I am supposed to put around my neck, I will use my feet to bounce on instead?
Yes, essentially.

It looks like you have rather a long piece of rope. If you have enough, I would suggest you use one end of it to set up a non-fatal system exactly the way you will set up the final system, only with a fixed loop where you will eventually have a noose. Then stand in that fixed loop and bounce on it to make sure it will hold you. A test run.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap and Amira