berd

berd

Feb 24, 2022
I've been thinking of saving up for a dog for the past few weeks (mainly smaller and lower maintenance ones) I don't know why but I was thinking that I'd be more happier with a pet. I know smaller dogs tend to be more aggressive, I don't really mind though. I already know how to take care of dogs due having them for majority of my childhood. But a major con would be how I procrastinate a lot, it plays a big reason on why I want a lower maintenance one (no, I won't be neglecting the dog don't worry.) I'm still thinking this through but would this be a good idea?

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: death137, GentleJerk, CameronFrye and 2 others
edu0z

edu0z

carried away by a moonlight shadow
Aug 25, 2021
I've been thinking of saving up for a dog for the past few weeks (mainly smaller and lower maintenance ones) I don't know why but I was thinking that I'd be more happier with a pet. I know smaller dogs tend to be more aggressive, I don't really mind though. I already know how to take care of dogs due having them for majority of my childhood. But a major con would be how I procrastinate a lot, it plays a big reason on why I want a lower maintenance one (no, I won't be neglecting the dog don't worry.) I'm still thinking this through but would this be a good idea?
I think that would be a great idea. If you have already had dogs in childhood then you know how to take care of them, I do not think you neglect them. And the kind of affection and companionship that a dog can offer is unique. I hope you can adopt one and that helps you and help the puppy... good luck friend.

• Love
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
I think that would be a great idea. If you have already had dogs in childhood then you know how to take care of them, I do not think you neglect them. And the kind of affection and companionship that a dog can offer is unique. I hope you can adopt one and that helps you and help the puppy... good luck friend.
I agree
Animals are amazing. You should get one. And the personality depends a lot on the dog, not necessarily on the size.

Reactions: edu0z and berd
berd

berd

Feb 24, 2022
I agree
Animals are amazing. You should get one. And the personality depends a lot on the dog, not necessarily on the size.
Yeah, I didn't word it correctly, I know personality takes a big role in it too. I was mostly focusing on smaller dogs because I don't see myself being able to handle a bigger one as well.

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
CameronFrye

CameronFrye

There’s nothing there
Feb 20, 2022
I think it's a great idea! I just rescued a puppy a week ago, and it's definitely made me happier. I wouldn't say it cured me or anything, and I still feel really low, but I'm certainly happier with her that I was without. It helps to have a distraction and get out of my own head by taking care of her. And the unconditional affection they give is therapeutic in a way. Since you mentioned you want a lower maintenance dog, I'd recommend rescuing a dog that isn't a puppy and is fully trained. While I love my puppy, it's SO much work. She chews on everything, has accidents on the floor, has to go outside constantly, and doesn't sleep through the night. It's extremely exhausting at times and if I didn't live at home with family who helps take care of her I don't know if I could do it especially when my mental state gets bad. But a slightly older (at least 1 year old) dog who is more calm, potty trained, and sleeps through the night would probably suit you better. I know rescue shelters have plenty of these kinds of dogs who desperately need homes. I'd recommend going to a shelter and seeing who you vibe and connect with. You might even be able to schedule a home visit to better see how the dog vibes where you live. There will certainly be challenges with any dog you adopt but it's well worth it and I highly recommend it!

Reactions: berd
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
If you can afford vetinary fees for the duration of the dogs life and have space and time for it then getting a dog is a great idea imho. I would say try to adopt rsther than buy though. Plenty rescues in need of a home and they're just as good as any dog you might buy. Buying judt feeds the puppy mills and the rescue centres are increasingly over run. Plus if you rescue you csn sometimes get the bonus of having all the early on vetinary needs covered. No need for vaccines or anything. Possibly even free chip. I'd suggest fostering for a while but if you have low motivation and procrastinate a lot it isn't so good an idea because you don't know what you're going to get and you may end up with high maintenance dogs at times.

Reactions: berd and GentleJerk
N

NickiStix

Dec 13, 2021
If you can manage to take care of a dog it's a great idea. My dog is one of the biggest things that make me happy. As an aside smaller dogs are necessarily more aggressive; that has to do with how they're raised.

If you do end up doing it I'd recommend trying to join a dog training group or going to puppy classes to ensure your dog doesn't become reactive towards other dogs.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I'm going to give the counter argument. Having a pet, especially a dog, limits your ability to travel and go out on a whim. You can't decide you want to go to the beach for a couple days and leave that afternoon, because you have to arrange for someone to watch your pet. Even an impromptu night out may be cut short because you have to go home to let the dog out and give it food and water.

Also, you said you procrastinate. That's not a good trait with pet ownership. You're going to constantly have to clean your house and clothes because of all the hair.

I don't have pets because first, I don't like taking care of things, and second, it would interfere way too much with my life.

Reactions: GentleJerk and Rogue Proxy
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
I'm going to give the counter argument. Having a pet, especially a dog, limits your ability to travel and go out on a whim. You can't decide you want to go to the beach for a couple days and leave that afternoon, because you have to arrange for someone to watch your pet. Even an impromptu night out may be cut short because you have to go home to let the dog out and give it food and water.

Also, you said you procrastinate. That's not a good trait with pet ownership. You're going to constantly have to clean your house and clothes because of all the hair.

I don't have pets because first, I don't like taking care of things, and second, it would interfere way too much with my life.
Another aspect I would add to this counterargument is the possibility and timing of your passing. If you plan on ending your life in the near future, it would be highly irresponsible and even cruel to take in a companion animal and then leave them behind, setting them up to be either abandoned, placed into an abusive and/or negligent home, or euthanized.

On a related note, you'll need to consider the animal's current age, their maximum lifespan, and whether you can successfully satisfy all their wants and needs throughout their maximum lifespan.

If you don't have the time, money, resources, support, energy, or mentality to provide fulltime care, I strongly suggest volunteering, interning, or working at an animal care facility like an animal shelter, sanctuary, or rehab center. You can care for animals part-time based on your schedule, skills, energy, ect., especially in volunteer positions. If the animal caretaking duties aren't working out and you need to step down, the consequences won't often be terrible since (in many cases) there will be enough staff to care for the animals.

• Love
Reactions: berd, GentleJerk and summers
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
If you don't have the time, money, resources, support, energy, or mentality to provide fulltime care, I strongly suggest volunteering, interning, or working at an animal care facility like an animal shelter, sanctuary, or rehab center. You can care for animals part-time based on your schedule, skills, energy, ect., especially in volunteer positions. If the animal caretaking duties aren't working out and you need to step down, the consequences won't often be terrible since (in many cases) there will be enough staff to care for the animals.
This is a great idea!

Reactions: Rogue Proxy
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
This is a great idea!
Here's another suggestion: if you're unable or unwilling to volunteer, intern, or work as an animal caretaker, but still wish to support animals, you can donate money or items to a particular animal organization, charity, or animal care facility. For example, you can put together a care package with supplies like cleaning products, food, toys, treats, ect. I suggest first contacting the facility (or searching for more information) about donation details.

Last edited:
berd

berd

Feb 24, 2022

I'm still debating if I should get one but I completely forgot about how much it would intervene with my plans and life. This helped a lot with my idea on it thank you! :)

Reactions: summers
notaboutangels

notaboutangels

Feb 26, 2022
I found that my dog helped me also get outside more and gave me an excuse to exercise by going for a walk with her. It's pretty relaxing for me. If you think you can handle a dog an automatic feeder with set times might help. They can also pop out treats. I'm not sure about the price of them, but it would never hurt to check sites like Amazon for them.