N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am not sure. I am not even sure whether there really is less traffic. Some longterm members seem to be less active. I mean if people don't need a suicide forum one might can be happy for them. Maybe some have recovered etc. But I am really not sure about the cause of it. Maybe some people have the feeling this forum is repetitive or they found a different way to cope.

I had the thought for the hypothesis in the title when I thought about the time when this forum was full of new members. I can remember three examples. The vice report (I think I was a very new member to that time), the NYT report and the BBC report. I think the visitors of this forum where the highest when the NYT named the full name of this forum and mentioned SN. I think the NYT did not repeat that approach. Probably because it was counterproductive for their aim. And some experts criticized the way how they reported about suicide.

I am not sure about my conclusions. I just know that many new members say that the reports of media outlets were the way how they found the website. I think it might be paradoxical when the "most effective" approach to get this website down is not to report about it any more.
I think in my country this forum cannot be found on google anymore.

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: bubo and jodes2
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
The traffic fluctuates- prolific posters either recover or ctb or if some cases get banned. The news outlets affect things, but considering they have to take a certain point of view or else get extreme backlash, I don't mind the absence of these articles.

Reactions: Hirokami and jodes2
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I wish they would do more promoting for us because I don't think the site is going anywhere. I hope it gets busier. I'm saddened by how quiet this forum can get. I wish people didn't leave so quickly. Such a great community here, it's priceless to me

Reactions: bubo and onlyanimalsaregood
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't really understand why anyone would feel the need to monitor the traffic in this forum, like why could it ever matter if less people are on here. I just think that most people come on here to just find out information about methods and then just leave. They have no reason to stay around here, I mean this site doesn't serve much of a purpose for most people apart from that, being on here can be pointless once someone knows information about their chosen method.

But yes of course a news article would lead to more people being on here as of course there will be so many suicidal people in this world who struggle to find ways to leave, and if a suicidal person learns about the existence of SN then they will likely want to find out how to ctb that way.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think they make it as difficult to find as possible. I only found out about this place through the NYT article (lol.) Although I've searched 'suicide' a huge amount of times throughout my life. Had to use my laptop the past couple of days which automatically opens with 'Bing.' Didn't seem to come up at all in a search. It did on Google, although only beneath a few 'helplines'.

Maybe a lot of people have passed on. Or like you say- are taking some time out to try at life again.