Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
Could you PM me? I'm new here today and not sure how things really work lol
I think you have to be on the system 24 hours before your email account becomes active. But I will summerise what I found out. Go the biggest chain of high street chemist you know, ask for the smallest size packets of Buccastem and Zantac. Job done!

Aleksandra

Aleksandra

żyję cicho krwawiąc
Aug 28, 2019
I don't have a mental health team or anything, they won't give me one. They won't offer me anything other than SSRIs either, which I refuse because obviously it isn't supposed to even work, so what's the point?

I hope your mental health is doing a bit better nowadays, but since you're here, I guess it isn't.
i was given antipsychotics because of some traits which lead me to do drastic things. but i know it helps a lot of bpd's, just didn't help me.

my bpd has only gotten worse over the years because funnily enough, not many therapists are trained to treat us. the only treatment for bpd really is DBT and even that isn't guaranteed to work. the antipsychotics help with hostility and paranoia symptoms but as of now, there's no medication to treat it.

i'm sorry you've had to resort to this, my heart goes out to you

Reactions: Lennox, Baskol1 and allgood
allgood

allgood

Student
Jul 17, 2019
I don't have a mental health team or anything, they won't give me one. They won't offer me anything other than SSRIs either, which I refuse because obviously it isn't supposed to even work, so what's the point?

I hope your mental health is doing a bit better nowadays, but since you're here, I guess it isn't.
If you wanted to try antipsychotics (imo best treatment for BPD, bipolar) you should take the SSRI and claim it's producing symptoms of mania, they wouldn't have much choice but to see you and prescribe something better. Only offering SSRIs for BPD is straight up dangerous.

The only time anyone seems to care about mental health or suicide is during a fucking awareness week, or if you pay them exorbitant amounts to listen to you, even the supposed experts..

Last edited:
Reactions: Lennox, anonbpdgirl, Baskol1 and 1 other person
Aleksandra

Aleksandra

żyję cicho krwawiąc
Aug 28, 2019
If you wanted to try antipsychotics (imo best treatment for BPD, bipolar) you should take the SSRI and claim it's producing symptoms of mania, they wouldn't have much choice but to see you and prescribe something better. Only offering SSRIs for BPD is straight up dangerous.

The only time anyone seems to care about mental health or suicide is during a fucking awareness week, or if you pay them exorbitant amounts to listen to you, even the supposed experts..
issue with that is doctors can't prescribe quetiapine, i know they can prescribe one sort of antipsychotic but she'd have to see a psychiatrist to get the better ones. ridiculous really.

Reactions: Lennox and Baskol1
anonbpdgirl

anonbpdgirl

Student
Aug 31, 2019
i was given antipsychotics because of some traits which lead me to do drastic things. but i know it helps a lot of bpd's, just didn't help me.

my bpd has only gotten worse over the years because funnily enough, not many therapists are trained to treat us. the only treatment for bpd really is DBT and even that isn't guaranteed to work. the antipsychotics help with hostility and paranoia symptoms but as of now, there's no medication to treat it.

i'm sorry you've had to resort to this, my heart goes out to you
God all that sucks. I don't ever talk to anyone else with BPD, not for any reason other than not knowing anyone, but man this makes me feel even less hopeful for recovery. If I'm honest, the only thing holding me back from suicide right now is the idea that maybe something will come through for me, like a therapist. But I dunno. I guess not.

• Aww..
Reactions: Lennox, Aleksandra and Baskol1
Aleksandra

Aleksandra

żyję cicho krwawiąc
Aug 28, 2019
God all that sucks. I don't ever talk to anyone else with BPD, not for any reason other than not knowing anyone, but man this makes me feel even less hopeful for recovery. If I'm honest, the only thing holding me back from suicide right now is the idea that maybe something will come through for me, like a therapist. But I dunno. I guess not.
remember, every bpd is different. when you can pm i can definitely tell you how to get a mental health team on the spot. i can do it here but it's only if you're desperate. they sometimes give you a cpn. mine saw me once a week at my home, and she would report back to the psychiatrist for my future appointment. :)

DeathImminent

DeathImminent

Experienced
Aug 9, 2019
dont stop believing right medication can save your life, a lot of BPD ppl are taking high doses of antipsychotics so dont be scared of them (quetiapine is one of them) search for youtube videos with BPD+quetiapine

L

Lizzy199075

Feb 20, 2019
Well that sucks, i still would try medication before ending it all, it can help trust me
yes Sn is avaible in UK you can order it almost anywhere and it is painless, some people here reported very slight headache, you will be unconscious within 12 minutes
The nhs is sorely struggling due to lack of money because the tory government want it privatised. If the nhs is not fit for purpose then the idea of privistation sounds easier. Its already happening it is becoming a postcode lottery service. I get this does not help you directly, but if more people are aware and join the protests that numerous staff go to, the inevitable privatisation might be prolonged a wee bit longer and healthcare will remain free.

Reactions: arelia, bea1974 and Baskol1
dysphoria

dysphoria

Aug 4, 2019
First post here, so forgive if I'm going over stuff that has already been talked about. But I really need some help.

N is arguably the most peaceful suicide method. But it's virtually impossible to get ahold of. Given by some miracle you find a supplier, the cost of it is prohibitive. How am I, a minimum wage slave barely affording rent and groceries, able to afford hundreds of pounds on N?

It's also fair to say that most of us want a peaceful method. We've had so much pain already. I suffer with BPD and have for years. I'm afraid of pain and committing violence to myself, a fear of my own body, and my options are limited anyway. N seems like the only option that offers the dream of falling asleep into nothingness.

What exactly are we supposed to do? The poor who struggle with everything? I feel so completely alone and messed up, without options even in suicide. It's a dark and lonely place to be.

It really is not a fair or compassionate system by any stretch of the imagination. The price for N is now $850 for 25g, which is enough for two people, so if you found someone in the same boat who you could trust, combining funds would bring it down to $425 per person. Even that is cost-prohibitive for people living month-to-month. If you could get any sort of credit - credit card, overdraft, it would be within reach. For a budget version of N, you could probably do that for perhaps £200 per person in a shared cost scenario with a lower dose.

If you wanted to die by opioid + benzodiazepine overdose + plastic bag or similar, the cost would be £50-100, and you'd need to learn how to use the darknet. SN is not something I would choose because it's not a painkiller, but it's even cheaper. I guess the poorer you are, the more horribly you are expected to die?

If you haven't tried them, SSRIs are worth trying if you are at the point of posting on a suicide forum. They'll take several weeks to work, and you'll feel worse before you feel better. They're not hugely effective, but they help some people (and taking them opens the door to alternatives if they fail). The internet is full of horror stories about SSRIs, but I wish I had at least tried them when I was a teenager instead of taking the path recommended by people dismissing SSRIs entirely. I wouldn't be here if I'd been open to suggestions from a psychiatrist instead of a group of angry, confused people on forums all those years ago. It ruined my life.

What is their reason for not giving you a referral to a psychiatrist? That is completely unacceptable, and against the guidelines for mental illness. Maybe taking the SSRIs would initiate this? Sorry, I don't know your situation.

i have bpd as well sweet, feels bad haha. i understand the nhs being a total joke. they didn't want to help me until after i started inflicting GBH on myself and attempting suicide. and being under 18 lol. after that they let you go home after 5 hours in a hospital. the meds i've been on haven't helped, though if you're only considering suicide i would highly recommend quetiapine/risperidone with prozac, and try to ask to do DBT with your mental health team if you have one. the quetiapine worked for me but the cost of using it was the weight gain. you gain weight even if you aren't eating.

as for cheap suicide methods, i'm in your boat and i'm about £5 to my name - i found something a while ago with baking soda combined with citric acid/vinegar and exit bag. if i can't find SN that can be delivered to me within the week then i'll go for that method. unreliable but you can try diazepam with the exit bag, you just tell your gp you're feeling anxious and can't sleep. or go to a&e during a crisis and start screaming (i went during a psychotic episode) and then they'll just give you 3 pills to take home after they assess you.

This is good advice for the OP. I agree about the NHS being a joke, but it wasn't always. 10 years ago it was okay, it did its job reasonably well and people who needed help had at least something. I have witnessed the decline over that time, and without getting too political, the government of the last 10 years has not spent enough to maintain that basic level of care. Now people only seem to be able to get professional help when it's already too late and they're in some sort of crisis, and psychotherapy is almost non-existent due to long waiting lists. I have repeatedly asked for a therapist since my suicide attempt but been told to wait. If their staff don't help suicidal people, who the fuck do they help? People who are just doing things for attention, who wouldn't ever actually end their lives? People in psychosis? I honestly don't know what my local staff are doing. Cases should be prioritised, and the person who has waited ages but has minor anxiety is not more deserving of care than someone contemplating suicide.

The nhs is sorely struggling due to lack of money because the tory government want it privatised. If the nhs is not fit for purpose then the idea of privistation sounds easier. Its already happening it is becoming a postcode lottery service. I get this does not help you directly, but if more people are aware and join the protests that numerous staff go to, the inevitable privatisation might be prolonged a wee bit longer and healthcare will remain free.

Yeah, the most demoralising thing is it's deliberate.

Reactions: arelia and Baskol1
Aleksandra

Aleksandra

żyję cicho krwawiąc
Aug 28, 2019
@dysphoria i don't really like to recommend people jump straight into killing themselves if i know i can advise them another route first if they haven't already. i've been really on and off with the nhs mh team. camhs, when i was 12 i would tell them i'm seeing things and hearing things that aren't there. you know what? "this is just an emotional phase you're feeling", then discharged. said all i needed was a school counsellor. a year later, suicide attempt 1, tells my mama "she's only doing this for attention, take her to a GP, she's not seeing anything" discharged immediately again. this was a repeated cycle until i took a serious OD and they were like well shit lol. threw me in with a woman to do CBT which anyone knows doesn't help a bpd. they refused to acknowledge any of my psychotic traits too. all this was being repeated suicide attempt after suicide attempt until finally i hit 17 (near 18) they put me with the adult services which honestly? they aren't any better but at least they give you proper diagnosis rather than "anxiety and depression". found out i had cptsd, bpd, anxiety, agoraphobia and psychosis. they asked me why i didn't tell camhs. literally bursted our laughing lol.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Lennox, woxihuanni and Baskol1
dysphoria

dysphoria

Aug 4, 2019
@dysphoria i don't really like to recommend people jump straight into killing themselves if i know i can advise them another route first if they haven't already. i've been really on and off with the nhs mh team. camhs, when i was 12 i would tell them i'm seeing things and hearing things that aren't there. you know what? "this is just an emotional phase you're feeling", then discharged. said all i needed was a school counsellor. a year later, suicide attempt 1, tells my mama "she's only doing this for attention, take her to a GP, she's not seeing anything" discharged immediately again. this was a repeated cycle until i took a serious OD and they were like well shit lol. threw me in with a woman to do CBT which anyone knows doesn't help a bpd. they refused to acknowledge any of my psychotic traits too. all this was being repeated suicide attempt after suicide attempt until finally i hit 17 (near 18) they put me with the adult services which honestly? they aren't any better but at least they give you proper diagnosis rather than "anxiety and depression". found out i had cptsd, bpd, anxiety, agoraphobia and psychosis. they asked me why i didn't tell camhs. literally bursted our laughing lol.

The staff seem genuinely confused when you have these kind of responses to their inadeqate service. I have also laughed at how bad therapists and other people were, and they didn't seem to like it... Sorry to hear about the absolutely atrocious care you've received. It's devastating when those you expect to be able to rely on are incompetent. Many of the therapists on the NHS... shouldn't be practising any kind of medicine. There's supposed to be "early detection" of psychosis, but they completely failed you. CAMHS was bad when I went through it in the mid 2000s, it's saddening to hear it's reached this point. I assumed the lack of adult services meant resources were going to younger people, but it's just broken at every level.

It's weird how they avoid giving out actual diagnoses - I have a lot of diagnosable things, but they just write "Mixed anxiety and depression" (MAD). I don't agree with the idea that labels are such a bad thing - in navigating the NHS, it is useful to actually the right stuff listed, because so many staff are incompetent and either don't listen or don't have the knowledge to arrive at an understanding, or know what treatments might help.

Reactions: Lennox, Aleksandra and Baskol1
Aleksandra

Aleksandra

żyję cicho krwawiąc
Aug 28, 2019
The staff seem genuinely confused when you have these kind of responses to their inadeqate service. I have also laughed at how bad therapists and other people were, and they didn't seem to like it... Sorry to hear about the absolutely atrocious care you've received. It's devastating when those you expect to be able to rely on are incompetent. Many of the therapists on the NHS... shouldn't be practising any kind of medicine. There's supposed to be "early detection" of psychosis, but they completely failed you. CAMHS was bad when I went through it in the mid 2000s, it's saddening to hear it's reached this point. I assumed the lack of adult services meant resources were going to younger people, but it's just broken at every level.

It's weird how they avoid giving out actual diagnoses - I have a lot of diagnosable things, but they just write "Mixed anxiety and depression" (MAD). I don't agree with the idea that labels are such a bad thing - in navigating the NHS, it is useful to actually the right stuff listed, because so many staff are incompetent and either don't listen or don't have the knowledge to arrive at an understanding, or know what treatments might help.
yeah i think it's EPI?? i don't remember the name for the early detection thing but they did suggest it when i started adult services, never got it because they forgot about me. i think labels help a lot. if i had known i had certain disorders a lot younger, i'd work on fixing myself than letting my symptoms get worse. i remember it was during summer i was 16, they said "since you don't really use cbt effectively, we might have to discharge you. it's exam season and people need us". oh yeah people stressing over exams need the mental health team. got it. agree that therapists should stick to working through different therapies with you. psychiatrists are people who should work on your meds. my old therapist was so fixated on getting me to go on meds under 18 (SSRI's) that she wouldn't even do the bloody therapy part lol

allgood

allgood

Student
Jul 17, 2019
yeah i think it's EPI?? i don't remember the name for the early detection thing but they did suggest it when i started adult services, never got it because they forgot about me. i think labels help a lot. if i had known i had certain disorders a lot younger, i'd work on fixing myself than letting my symptoms get worse. i remember it was during summer i was 16, they said "since you don't really use cbt effectively, we might have to discharge you. it's exam season and people need us". oh yeah people stressing over exams need the mental health team. got it. agree that therapists should stick to working through different therapies with you. psychiatrists are people who should work on your meds. my old therapist was so fixated on getting me to go on meds under 18 (SSRI's) that she wouldn't even do the bloody therapy part lol
Early Intervention in Psychosis team? I think that is who handles it now, and I will say that they were better than the CMHT (at least, the real psychiatrist was, who I didn't get to see until asking why I was being treated by a new trainee) but still lacking. After they decide you no longer have psychosis you are 'transferred' to the CMHT once more, in short they forget about you and you'll never hear from anyone again.

I wonder why the suicide rate is so high..

Reactions: Aleksandra
Aleksandra

Aleksandra

żyję cicho krwawiąc
Aug 28, 2019
Early Intervention in Psychosis team? I think that is who handles it now, and I will say that they were better than the CMHT (at least, the real psychiatrist was, who I didn't get to see until asking why I was being treated by a new trainee) but still lacking. After they decide you no longer have psychosis you are 'transferred' to the CMHT once more, in short they forget about you and you'll never hear from anyone again.

I wonder why the suicide rate is so high..
i never got to see them, i was just given a CPN who abandoned me anyway when i kept telling her i couldn't leave the house to go to the centre (3 miles away from home, i don't drive and i had really severe social anxiety and agoraphobia). she just fucked off. xd i tried to get help this year again after 4 suicide attempts and the reason they discharged me is because i couldn't answer a fucking phone call as i was at work. you either bite the bullet and sell your soul and pay for treatment or you just get the upmost minimal effort by the nhs

• Aww..
Reactions: allgood
ish

ish

Experienced
Jul 20, 2019
All agents taken orally (medications) including
nembutalem, they may be good for people
the elderly. For young people and physically
healthy are unpredictable.
Unfortunately, rather non-peaceful methods remain
for it is more effective and carrying smaller ones
risk of vegetative state in the event of failure.