12hu

Jul 21, 2019
1. Is there any way for the doctor not to treat myself if I happen to be discovered by others?
2. How can I write my will to let my family give up and treat me?
I use the method of hypoxia death, if I am found I am likely to be in a coma.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and Baskol1
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Depends on which country you're in. In the US, it's called a "living will", in the UK an "advance directive". Whatever the name, it's a way to declare your wishes in a legal document, in the event you become unable to communicate for medical reasons (like being in a coma). Again, depending on your legal jurisdiction, you can either have a lawyer make one for you, or might be able to get the forms online and do it yourself. They're commonly obtained by elderly people as a standard part of estate/end-of-life planning, but that's not their only use. I have one, for the exact same reason you seem to be asking about the topic.

Limitations also depend on what legal jurisdiction you live in. In my jurisdiction, there's a serious restriction on refusing life saving medical care - you basically have to be declared brain dead by two doctors - and a living will may not be legally binding - in my case, my next of kin has my medical power of attorney, which can be used to override my living will and keep me alive indefinitely. <sigh>

But, it's worth looking into. Maybe where you live there's a more right-to-die friendly legal environment.

Reactions: Baskol1
PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
In the USA of you are found you will be sent to a hospital to stabilize you physically, and then you are sent to a psych ward on an involubtary hold for 72 hours, but good luck getting out in 72 hours.

Reactions: Baskol1