• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

CFLoser

CFLoser

I fcking hate myself
Dec 5, 2018
This is something I keep thinking about. Just in a general sense.

I feel like, obviously if you focus on future happiness you can build happiness for future days.
But, if the goal is always happiness, why not pick the low-hanging fruit (immediate happiness). If possible, of course.

I don't think these are mutually exclusive though. What do you guys think?? In a world like this, where most people have to build their own happiness day-to-day (whether they like it or not) this is a really big and confusing topic.... at least for me.

I bought whipping cream imma put it in my tea or coffee tomorrow (: I think it will be tasty!

Reactions: Memento Mori, Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 5 others
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
In a sense for me, there is good reason to prioritize future happiness versus being happy in the moment. For example, binge eating. Will food or cookies make me "happy" in the moment? Yes, in theory. But it will make me feel like complete trash as I continue to gain weight, which means that the future looks depressing.

Another example is like saving money. Will buying this item make me happy in the moment? Sure. Will I be happy about it a few weeks from now? Of course. But if I had saved whatever I spent to buy something more expensive that I wanted, I'd be much happier about it the item.

So I guess it really just depends on the scenario.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Dead Meat, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 5 others
Redt2go

Redt2go

flower child
Jan 5, 2019
This is a hell of a question. I think you have to try to balance. To enjoy what you have as much as possible while also working to build your future happiness

Reactions: azucaramargo, Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 4 others
waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
"why not pick the low-hanging fruit (immediate happiness). If possible, of course. "

I look towards people my age who have prepared for the future and they've still got a ways yet to go until the holy grail of retirement but they're not really young anymore and so many are not doing well. A lot of them have families and careers, even good careers, a chilling amount of debt, and no savings. Some have houses, some get to enjoy them, some have debt, and no savings, others have other configurations, a lot are destitute, some had it and lost it, and some are dead. When they retire and look back on their youth, what are they going to be able to say for it, and what won't they, objectively.

I prepare for a future of low hanging fruit.

Reactions: azucaramargo, Memento Mori, Deafsn0w and 7 others
Pulpit2018

Pulpit2018

Experienced
Oct 8, 2018
Generally,when you are young you want to focus on future happiness.Deferred gratification.That sort of thing.
Problem is when things get hard,and you become suicidal.Then you are not as motivated about the future.
Then it becomes a struggle,when to decide to take all you can now,or leave sth for later.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, TheCrow and 3 others
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
Life seems so random in what can happen so I have never really trusted in a gratifying future. I have seen people follow the 'good citizen' blueprint only to get screwed over. Homelessness showed me that. I guess it is all just a gamble. The only thing I do know is that when people come to dying they rarely measured past happiness in cars, houses and mindless comfortable jobs that ate up years. Seemed to come down to people and meaningful experiences. With an awareness of regrets at risks not taken.

I tried to balance enjoyable experiences with practical needs by not indulging too much if it would make things overly worse in the future. But I also took some interesting risks. You see people come up to retirement sick and unable to enjoy the things they planned for like scuba diving in the barrier reef. I never wanted that to be me so I lived hard and pursued contentment through connections made and enjoyable shared experiences. Pretty much a hedonist but tempered by not taking pleasure at the expense of others. I was right to not defer everything to the future as I am sick now. But at least I have had many awesome experiences prior. Happiness in the future does not seem feasible now and low hanging fruit is hard to enjoy if I am just going to puke it up. I am a husk now on autopilot even my mind feels like it is on its way out.

It feels a bit ironic that all those additional loving connections I built I have subtly come to resent.

Reactions: Johnnythefox, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 3 others
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
When i was younger,i used to be very driven to follow my hopes and dreams and my happiness depended on their achievement.
There is a saying that if we keep looking back,we cant see where we are going but equally if we spend to much time concentrating on future happiness than we miss living in the moment.
Living in the moment is a skill and mindset that is great to have when we are happy and content with life.
I personally have to concentrate just on one day at a time and feel that depesson robs you of the ability to see future happiness never mind plan it.
Life can change and be turned up side down at a moments notice.Appreciate what you have now because tomorrow it could be gone !

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, 15dec, Deafsn0w and 2 others