author

author

they/them
Jul 13, 2021
I'm specifically asking people around my age; people around college age / in their twenties. I'm in America, so this might be an American perspective as well, but...

I've been wondering a lot, and with the way corporate greed and capitalism has destroyed America over the last few decades, I can't imagine much of a future for myself. I feel like I'll never afford a place to live. Even affording a decent apartment seems like an unreachable dream. I'm stuck in an abusive household where I can't even afford food half of the time, let alone can I even think of moving out. Oddly enough, older people will usually say "then just move to another country" but I don't know where they got the idea of "hm, this person cannot afford to live here, surely they have the funds to move to another country! they're just lazy." :/

I feel like we're fucked, but I wanna know if anyone else thinks differently.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Jred, Ringo, pikku.tiikeri and 4 others
StrangePossum

StrangePossum

Dec 22, 2021
I relate so much...The cost of living is insane here and it keeps going up, it seems like things are only getting worse. I've been lucky to grow up relatively well off with educated parents, but with the current state of things I have very little hope of being able to attain the same level of financial stability as my parents once I'm living on my own. I'm also stuck in an abusive household, and I used to hope that college and higher education would be my ticket out, but even that's seeming increasingly impossible with my mental illness. Even people with college degrees are struggling to survive, what hope is there for me?

I don't know, I also feel pretty hopeless about this honestly. The one thing that gives me hope is seeing the drive that other people our age have to make things better, but with our current political system that also seems like it's gonna be really difficult. :/ I'm interested to see what other peoples' views on this are...I could also use some reasons to feel hopeful aha.

• Hugs
Reactions: Jred, pikku.tiikeri, author and 1 other person
Enigmatic Sailor

Enigmatic Sailor

vicissitudes of fate...
Oct 29, 2021
I feel ya. I looked on this real estate site at home prices and there's this run-down dilapidated single-wide trailer in this one horse town near me that's $60K. I think prices will keep skyrocketing until we beg for mercy. (300th post)

• Hugs
Reactions: author