Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Is there a cure for anhedonia? I suffer from that and similar/worse.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Ghost, Shivali, artificial_ineptness and 1 other person
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Mage
May 14, 2018
Fucking hell my hack therapist didn't even know the definition of the word. America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Aww..
  • Hmph!
Reactions: anhedonicNfoggy, soapfix, ncmxm and 7 others
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
I think it can be reduced if you treat the underlying cause, which is usually depression. Supposedly.

• Hugs
Reactions: ncmxm, Dead Ghost, Celerity and 2 others
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

Nov 25, 2021
Damn. antidepressants make no difference, nothing does. I was also told something along the lines of "It's probably in your head, just be happy and it'll fix itself" or "it's normal to feel nothing", and I know at least the latter is wrong. I actually went a long time thinking that though.

• Aww..
Reactions: anhedonicNfoggy, Dead Ghost, chaosandquiet and 2 others
you cant find me

you cant find me

youre not going in circles, its a downward spiral
Nov 21, 2021
Damn. antidepressants make no difference, nothing does. I was also told something along the lines of "It's probably in your head, just be happy and it'll fix itself" or "it's normal to feel nothing", and I know at least the latter is wrong. I actually went a long time thinking that though.
In my experience antidepressants seem to work by making you not care about anything so you're not actively feeling BAD all the time. They don't do shit for anhedonia, though--they just make it easier to function on a day-to-day basis. I've stopped taking them because at least feeling shitty feels more "alive" than ignoring everything.

I have no idea what normal is because I've felt like this as long as I can remember. But other people seem to react more strongly when they're happy or excited so I'm guessing something's probably not right. I wish I could occupy a "normal" person's brain for a day just to see.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skatspielerin, Regen, ColorlessTrees and 4 others
Beer_is_all_I_have

Beer_is_all_I_have

Years of numbness. When will it stop?
Dec 18, 2021
In my experience antidepressants seem to work by making you not care about anything so you're not actively feeling BAD all the time. They don't do shit for anhedonia, though--they just make it easier to function on a day-to-day basis. I've stopped taking them because at least feeling shitty feels more "alive" than ignoring everything.

I have no idea what normal is because I've felt like this as long as I can remember. But other people seem to react more strongly when they're happy or excited so I'm guessing something's probably not right. I wish I could occupy a "normal" person's brain for a day just to see.
Very well expressed. I find ADs numb me and take away the connection with pleasure so I don't really care. The last 5 or so times I've stopped ADs my libido came back somewhat and I felt the potential for pleasure close by. Sexual feelings aren't the panacea for helping depression but it made me feel more like myself and closnest with a loved one felt so much more real. I've already told my psychiatrist I want to go off ADs to feel myself. Please though ADs can help get people through deep periods of depression. ❤️

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Ghost and you cant find me
you cant find me

you cant find me

youre not going in circles, its a downward spiral
Nov 21, 2021
Very well expressed. I find ADs numb me and take away the connection with pleasure so I don't really care. The last 5 or so times I've stopped ADs my libido came back somewhat and I felt the potential for pleasure close by. Sexual feelings aren't the panacea for helping depression but it made me feel more like myself and closnest with a loved one felt so much more real. I've already told my psychiatrist I want to go off ADs to feel myself. Please though ADs can help get people through deep periods of depression. ❤️
I had trouble with libido too on meds and find myself more interested in other people romantically and sexually when I'm not on antidepressants. I agree that they can certainly help people going through deep depression--it's not ideal to be numb but it can help you through the basics like going to work or school and keeping up personal health and hygiene so you don't get yourself into even bigger shit.

Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

Nov 25, 2021
  • Hugs
Reactions: GrumpyFrog and Niko66
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
Unfortunately, not much. Cursory research suggests it's just treated as a symptom of major depressive disorder and gets treated the same way as that, with the kind of scattershot ineffectiveness that's already present in treatment.

• Aww..
Reactions: NumbItAll, you cant find me and Suicidebydeath
S

standbyme

Oct 11, 2022
honestly running helps in the short term. like vigorous running

• Love
Reactions: przeciwwymiotne
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Could be you need a better doctor. That's objectively bad advice to get from a professional. Also it might not be depression causing it. How long has it been since you've had a checkup with bloodwork and etc.?

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees and Suicidebydeath
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
After my depressive episode where I experienced extreme anhedonia, it took me at least 6 months to return to somewhat normal. I came off all antidepressants, sleeping pills, and booze. I aggressively regulated my sleep with melatonin, good sleep hygiene, and blue light boxes. I tried to get some cardio in there at least every other day.

Do I still do this now? Nah. Am I sure these steps were what caused the anhedonia to recede? Also no. It is just my experience after anhedonia. Without another major episode under my belt, I can't know if what I did worked, but these things were all cheap and relatively easy for me to do, so it might be worth a try. Depending on what you're taking, you may not be able to come off meds as quickly as I did (if at all), but the other ideas may still be helpful.

• Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and Cathy Ames
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

Nov 25, 2021
Could be you need a better doctor. That's objectively bad advice to get from a professional. Also it might not be depression causing it. How long has it been since you've had a checkup with bloodwork and etc.?
Oh this was a very long time ago now, some of it from when I was homeless the first time. I'd basically given up on feeling anything for a long time. It seems beyond impossible now.
. Depending on what you're taking, you may not be able to come off meds as quickly as I did (if at all), but the other ideas may still be helpful.
Again, its not caused by meds, I've had these issues long before I took meds for anything, and majority/all of those are for physical ailments, diabetes etc, so I wouldn't be able to come off them anyway. Since I was very young, so I don't think it's a sleep issue, although I always had nightmares. I don't do smoke, drink or do drugs either, so it can't be from those. I don't get any pleasure from smoking and drinking doesn't cause a buzz or any feeling at all, and I stay away from harder drugs. I experience pain, headaches, stomach aches, throat aches etc, but nothing pleasurable, and nothing really makes me feel good, happy or accomplished, besides a feeling in my chest from romance where I feel a little bit but its accompanied by so much pain it usually makes things even harder lol. I'm just a hopeless case I think, it's sort of pointless to pursue anything derived from happiness for me since I can always just feel much worse.

Thank you for your input though! It's very helpful and good to know what possible reasons it might be. I'm thinking it might be from physical damage or maybe something genetic, I had a lot of traumas when I was young though.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Cathy Ames
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Oh this was a very long time ago now, some of it from when I was homeless the first time. I'd basically given up on feeling anything for a long time. It seems beyond impossible now.
Okay... so based on what I know, it DOES seem possible, but changes and effort would be required, and, yes, that stuff is difficult. I think good sleep is crucial and exercise is also important (I get neither, lol), also getting any health problems taken care of and learning techniques to better deal with "stress" plus getting rid of any stress you can get rid of. Just your total situation is really weighing on you. Plus it does take a long time to work through grief. I understand that counseling can help with that.

Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

Nov 25, 2021
honestly running helps in the short term. like vigorous running
I can feel my heart beating from physical exertion, its not pleasant at all for me though. I have a boxing bag for my hands because they require constant physiotherapy or they end up in a lot of pain. Using the boxing bag doesn't tire me out in the slightest.

Drinking water feels kinda nice I guess. That's probably the most pleasurable thing I can think of, besides sleeping (except for the nightmares). So the most I can feel might be drinking water. If I drink too much - and I drink as much as I can - then it kind of wears off I suppose. Otherwise I would drink all the time to feel anything.
Okay... so based on what I know, it DOES seem possible, but changes and effort would be required, and, yes, that stuff is difficult. I think good sleep is crucial and exercise is also important (I get neither, lol), also getting any health problems taken care of and learning techniques to better deal with "stress" plus getting rid of any stress you can get rid of. Just your total situation is really weighing on you. Plus it does take a long time to work through grief. I understand that counseling can help with that.
I don't think sleep and exercise will change anything. I used to sleep soundly and exercise a lot, and still felt nothing. Also no real health problems then "as fit as possible" - from doctor. Obviously I still had stress then, but I don't think there is a cure for that. I'd have to die and be reborn.

Last edited:
S

SarRy

Student
Oct 5, 2022
Well, there are various possible causes and various possible remedies. If it's a physical problem with the brain, then medication or medical intervention may be required. If it's just a dim outlook, then therapy might help to see things differently and learn new thinking patterns. It might be the case that there is no cure. Still, anhedonia doesn't always manifest as a complete lack of pleasure or joy. If there is anything to enjoy that is healthy, then it can be clung to like a life raft. Nobody enjoys everything. Everyone has certain tastes. Find what is enjoyable for you and fill your days with that.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees