• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

lixt

lixt

Entropy guides me until death reaches me.
Dec 14, 2023
What exactly is pain? If someone likes what is commonly named pain, is he or she struggling with it? Is pain subjective? Can someone be in pain while not really in pain? Like, other people see that situation as painful when the "victim" or whatever you want to call that person is not feeling emotional pain (or doesn't believe that is pain)?

Reactions: Forever Sleep, Homo erectus and R_N
AbsurdAbyss

AbsurdAbyss

Lost, broken, empty, fragmented.
Mar 4, 2024
Subjective, I think. Our understanding of it, as individuals, depends on our own perception, awareness, experience with it which influences our response to it. Just like with reality(or what we make of it anyway) - interpretations vary, but the fact remains - it exists, as do we.

Reactions: lixt, Homo erectus, reclaimedbynature and 2 others
tbroken

tbroken

Wizard
Feb 22, 2024
Trust me, some pain is not subjective at all. I found many people that reacted to my same problems in the same way.

• Hugs
Reactions: lixt, Homo erectus and R_N
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Trust me, some pain is not subjective at all. I found many people that reacted to my same problems in the same way.
Can we say that they reacted in similar way but none of them felt exactly the same?

Humans are often alike just by being part of the same species ofc but no one experiences life exactly the same.

Reactions: EvisceratedJester, Homo erectus, reclaimedbynature and 3 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Yes, pain is subjective. People have different tolerances to pain and also a different threshold to pain as well. Some people can go through so much and still have strength in them to push on whereas others could give up easier (and both cases are valid as people are different).

Also, yes, there can be situations in where people look at another person's suffering and think that it's painful when the victim doesn't think the same. In my case, I'm the opposite of this as people probably look at me and think my suffering isn't bad at all whereas my suffering is immense due to how I react extremely to the smallest amounts of stress and pressure

Reactions: Homo erectus, reclaimedbynature, divinemistress36 and 1 other person
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
...there can be situations in where people look at another person's suffering and think that it's painful when the victim doesn't think the same. In my case, I'm the opposite of this as people probably look at me and think my suffering isn't bad at all whereas my suffering is immense...
Yup. Projection is a fog where no one is able to truly understand the other.

Reactions: Homo erectus, reclaimedbynature and ijustwishtodie
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
I think it's subjective. But to facilitate conversation, people often assume certain physical signs, such as brain waves and behavior, reflect pain level. In that case, I believe different people have very different pain tolerance. Drugs and environment may also have an impact.

Reactions: lixt
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
People have different pain tolerances but, that can actually be dangerous for someone who doesn't feel so much pain. They may have something very serious but not seek help. That kind of goes for mental maybe as well as physical. People who maybe just carry on and on and just snap with a breakdown rather than suffer with their nerves long-term. I don't know. I'm no expert but I have known strong and silent types break all of a sudden.

But yes- I'm sure that anyone suddenly dropped into someone elses life would handle it in a way unique to them. We all have histories. Some people can cope with very high stress situations and others become triggered by something many would find trivial.

It could be for all sorts of reasons. Maybe it triggers a very distressing past trauma. Maybe they have a sensitivity to noise. Maybe they have extreme social anxiety. Maybe they have sociopathic traits and very little affects them. We're all different. So, different things hurt or, don't trouble us.

I guess the level of pain we feel may relate to just how bad the past trauma, intolerance, whatever nasty thing it was is and what coping resources we have to deal with it.

Z-A

Z-A

Let me go
Mar 3, 2024
Just like with anything, every person has a different tolerance to things. So in this case, regardless whether it's physical or emotional pain, not everyone reacts exactly the same to things so it would make no sense to say that it is not subjective.

Reactions: EvisceratedJester
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
It is not. It only changes the perception of those who see someone suffering.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Pain is subjective. Whether it's emotional or physical pain, how you experience it depends on a multitude of factors, such as context, pain tolerence, your own physiology, your mental state, etc. Your pain can only be experienced by you, not by others. This all results in pain being a subjective experience.