Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
Title. Someone close to me takes lithium for depression and all it does is make them retarded and sleepy. Their mental acuity is vastly slowed down and they sleep like 18 hours a day. Though they've also done more ECT "treatments" than I can count, so I'm sure that contributes to it. I've read some post on here that was badmouthing lithium and I just wanna know how bad it really is.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Idk. My aunt with BPI had trouble with it, but everyone is different. Considering the other meds (atypical antipsychotics mostly) they have for BP, I'll take my chances with lithium, honestly. Quetiapine, an atypical antipsychotic I have taken, can also cause the symptoms you describe.

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
Title. Someone close to me takes lithium for depression and all it does is make them retarded and sleepy. Their mental acuity is vastly slowed down and they sleep like 18 hours a day. Though they've also done more ECT "treatments" than I can count, so I'm sure that contributes to it. I've read some post on here that was badmouthing lithium and I just wanna know how bad it really is.
Lithium is one of the last options to recover a person with depression if the previous treatments have not worked. I have not consumed it, but it is extremely strong for the body and the brain. The symptoms you describe are the effects it produces.
Lithium must be consumed with strict medical instructions as otherwise it can be dangerous

• Informative
Reactions: Celerity and Dead Meat
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
Lithium is one of the last options to recover a person with depression if the previous treatments have not worked. I have not consumed it, but it is extremely strong for the body and the brain. The symptoms you describe are the effects it produces.
Lithium must be consumed with strict medical instructions as otherwise it can be dangerous
Well the person I describe has been taking it for a year with no effect. Makes me hate the pharmaceutical industry. Just because you are asleep all the time and can't think straight doesn't mean your life is getting better.

theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
Well the person I describe has been taking it for a year with no effect. Makes me hate the pharmaceutical industry. Just because you are asleep all the time and can't think straight doesn't mean your life is getting better.
Yes... the pharmaceutical industry does not want to give you the cure because they would lose a lot of money. These medications, like lithium, only sedate you. However, all psychiatric medication needs to be accompanied by psychotherapy. Is she seeing a psychologist?

Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
Yes... the pharmaceutical industry does not want to give you the cure because they would lose a lot of money. These medications, like lithium, only sedate you. However, all psychiatric medication needs to be accompanied by psychotherapy. Is she seeing a psychologist?
Hmm, if she is then it's gotta be online because I know there's no in-person trips she's taking.
I personally don't believe in psychologists / therapists though, they just ask/tell you surface level bullshit "whats your favorite color" "hm can you describe what you think would solve your problem? Why not just do that then?"
I swear I could be an excellent therapist if I had a fake degree. If I were to suddenly be mentally healthy again, that is.

theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
Hmm, if she is then it's gotta be online because I know there's no in-person trips she's taking.
I personally don't believe in psychologists / therapists though, they just ask/tell you surface level bullshit "whats your favorite color" "hm can you describe what you think would solve your problem? Why not just do that then?"
I swear I could be an excellent therapist if I had a fake degree. If I were to suddenly be mentally healthy again, that is.
The idea of the psychologist is to give you the tools to guide you in your mental healing process. It is as if I gave you the hammer and nails but you have to build the house. In addition, there are many psychologists who make you waste your time. You have to find the right doctor, I guess. The truth is that I am a little reluctant to do so since I think that my life is beyond repair. It is really difficult, taking into account that the mind is very complex.
I do not consider lithium to be a poison but it is a drug, like many. Hope she can get better soon mate

Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
I just personally think there's no cure, at least to my own problems, beyond supernatural aid
But yeah I guess I hope she gets better so whatever maybe some sort of therapist is good but she said she hates every one she's talked to and despite trying their advice she thinks it's all bullshit too
...and then recommends the same treatment to me lol

Laggy

Laggy

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, I think lithium is poisonous, it can cause diabetes for one. When I was put on it, I was told I'd need to do regular bloodwork to check for problems. But during the two years I took it, they never followed up on that bloodwork. Lithium didn't do much good for me, but for a while it helped me to feel numb. Feeling numb isn't fun, but it's a step up from utter hopelessness.

Laggy

Laggy

Jul 20, 2018
I mean, of course I'd rather ctb than be a walking invalid, but there are reasons I didn't feel free to do that.