O

offbalance

Student
Dec 16, 2021
The brain chemistry to be able to focus on the positive. Kinda leaning toward both being true, I think objectively there's more bad than good in life but some people can be motivated despite knowing that.

Part of me wants to just CTB in the face of such a reality but I don't think focusing on the positive is necessarily delusional. But I seem unable to do so. Idk.

Trying to try

• Hugs
Reactions: deathwish, LifeQuitter, Tonkpils and 5 others
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
All lives and perceptions are different. Life is neither "objectively" good nor bad for everyone as a general rule and the majority of people find their life to be good. Doesn't mean no one's life is bad. Doesn't discount a desire to ctb. Doesn't mean that any one person's life isn't more bad than good. It's just that no one can speak for everyone.

Reactions: Reflection, sorrowful, divinemistress36 and 5 others
Davey40210

Davey40210

Even the stars make room for new stars
Sep 3, 2024
I actually think brain chemistry and your attitude towards life are the main determinants. Think about all those people that objectively have a terrible life (suffering from a terrible disease, in prison, slavery) and somehow still can be happy.

So it makes me conclude that it won't matter if my life becomes better, my brain will either ensure I destroy it or I will simply be miserable anyway.

On the flip side, I wonder if I could choose to see life as a peachy place whether I would do it. Somehow I feel like that would not be right, since I believe the way I see life now is the truth of it. And life is terrible.

Reactions: sorrowful, offbalance, divinemistress36 and 2 others
T

Trav1989

Student
Jun 2, 2024
I actually think brain chemistry and your attitude towards life are the main determinants. Think about all those people that objectively have a terrible life (suffering from a terrible disease, in prison, slavery) and somehow still can be happy.

So it makes me conclude that it won't matter if my life becomes better, my brain will either ensure I destroy it or I will simply be miserable anyway.

On the flip side, I wonder if I could choose to see life as a peachy place whether I would do it. Somehow I feel like that would not be right, since I believe the way I see life now is the truth of it. And life is terrible.
Yeah, even if life becomes better something always happens that will derail it and the more time invested into something the more devastating it is to lose it. If your in a relationship with a person for a month and break up it means nothing compared to being in a relationship for a decade and breaking up. Just because both are a single relationship each doesn't make them equal by any means.

And honestly, how many relationships that lost that long do people get in a lifetime? Not many. You can't recover from that.

• Love
Reactions: sorrowful, Davey40210 and divinemistress36
Nikitatos

Nikitatos

Wizard
Apr 10, 2024
In the United States, life is objectively worse for everyone.

People without a high school diploma used to be able to work 40 hours a week, own a home, and have a family.

50 years ago, there was less polutants in the air, food, and water.

Cancer, dementia, autism and other diseases were less common

Families were stronger

etc, etc, etc.

• Love
Reactions: charcoalcat, thislife24, Davey40210 and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it's all about subjectivity. Some people are probably living what we would consider an objectively bad life yet, they may not be desperately unhappy and suicidal.

I suspect our subjectivity does depend on certain factors though- our genes, upbringing and life experiences. I think some people are naturally more positive than others. Others work hard at trying to stay positive.

It's hard though, if there's less motivation to be like that. I find the more optimistic people I know do at least see value in life and they seem to think the rewards it might yield if they continue to keep trying, will be worth it. They probably also have more faith in themselves that they will be able to reach their goals or at least, satisfy some of their needs.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people here feel like their goals are impossible. Or, they don't have goals to begin with and feel overwhelmed with the suffering they are going through with no motivation to keep going. Others doubt their own abilities or are convinced that the world is conspiring against them to ensure they'll never succeed.

It's hard to say whether any of that is objective rather than subjective. Maybe they were hampered with objectively bad genes or a debilitating illness or just really bad luck. Beyond that though- if a different person were put in their shoes, would they end up the same? Possibly not. I think a lot of factors come into play.

• Love
Reactions: sorrowful and Davey40210
O

offbalance

Student
Dec 16, 2021

To your last paragraph-same.

• Love
Reactions: sorrowful and Davey40210