Q

qpsns

Feb 2, 2022
People told me that I shouldn't tell my parents that I lost money and how I lost money, because it's my money. They said that it is a part of my privacy.
Is this true? Is it right to lie to my parents about this? I am 18 and I lost $5000 because I bought new things and sold them used.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
It's nobody's business but your own what you tell your parents.

Reactions: MellowAvenue and Cathy Ames
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
People told me that I shouldn't tell my parents that I lost money and how I lost money, because it's my money. They said that it is a part of my privacy.
Is this true? Is it right to lie to my parents about this? I am 18 and I lost $5000 because I bought new things and sold them used.
I remember at one point you were feeling that you HAD to tell them. What was your reasoning at that time? Your situation is confusing in some ways.

Q

qpsns

Feb 2, 2022
I remember at one point you were feeling that you HAD to tell them. What was your reasoning at that time? Your situation is confusing in some ways.
Because they sometimes borrow money from me. If I don't have the money they ask from me, they check my balance.
I have $700 right now, if they ask me for $800, they will know that I lied.

Reactions: Cathy Ames
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Because they sometimes borrow money from me. If I don't have the money they ask from me, they check my balance.
I have $700 right now, if they ask me for $800, they will know that I lied.
In what way have you lied?

Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
Yes. Fuck em

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

đź‘»
Nov 5, 2020
Honestly, if they actually have access to your bank account and can view your balance I'd just come clean… Also, personally, I'd change that as soon as possible.

Q

qpsns

Feb 2, 2022
Honestly, if they actually have access to your bank account and can view your balance I'd just come clean… Also, personally, I'd change that as soon as possible.
I'm 18 so I am considered a minor in South Korea. I have to wait until I become 19 to block my parents from accessing my bank account.

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

đź‘»
Nov 5, 2020
I'm 18 so I am considered a minor in South Korea. I have to wait until I become 19 to block my parents from accessing my bank account.

I figured that was probably the case. Still, yeah, definitely do that on or immediately after your 19th birthday.

MrOptions

MrOptions

Let it go. This to shall pass.
Jan 6, 2020
Your money, your business.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I agree your money your business but it is quite a big mistake to lose that much money. You bought 5k worth of stuff and sold it on cheaper. Where's that money? There must have been some return. Also, where did the money originally come from? For your parents to borrow money feom you and know there is money in the thoisands in your account sounds as though they're either exploitative or the opposite and play a supportive role with some understanding between that the money is there for a certain purpose. If you're a minor and the money came from your parents and the bank account is a step into adulthood and independence then this might be a situation where lying is wrong. That is to say maybe it isn't a case of your money your business. It's clear we don't have all the info so any advice given is prone to being entirely out of context. Part of me feels maybe this suits you.

II know parents in Korea can be quite domineering. It's a different world to the US in parenting styles. I would say be honest and learn from your mistake, losing so much money. Making your account independent of them is fine but make sure you're ready to go out on your own without making such rudimentary errors with your finances. It may be that you need further support feom your parents so no sense alienating them prematurely.

Last edited: