S

snu

Jun 7, 2022
I suffer from crippling anxiety and have struggled with suicidal thoughts a lot. I wonder if I can harness the inevitability of death as a means to push myself into taking steps that seem scary but will ultimately help me? Like I'm going to die one day and ultimately nothing that happens matters. Can anyone relate or has used this as a technique in life? I'm currently out of work and have been stuck not looking for work because I beat myself up and tell myself that employers will reject me in humiliating ways. What if they do would that be so bad that the experience will matter to me in a few years or after I'm dead?

G

Grumble

Lingering
Aug 25, 2018
"Will this matter in a few years" comes from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). It's one of many, many, many questions you can ask yourself in an effort to neutralize whatever negative thoughts or feelings you're having.

If this sounds like something that might help you, do some reading on CBT's distorted thinking patterns, coping statements, and countering negative thoughts.

As far as using the prospect of your death as a coping mechanism... I'm not sure CBT would encourage you to do that, especially if you struggle with suicidal ideation... However, whatever helps you get through the moment... If that's what it takes, I'd just roll with it.

• Love
Reactions: Trismegistus_13