Azzy69

Azzy69

-
Aug 8, 2019
When I was in a mental hospital last year, on my first night there, I was thinking about hanging myself with the curtains (weird I know). So, I was wondering, would it be possible to commit suicide in a mental hospital, or would they be constantly watching the cctv and stop you?

Reactions: ImSorryEmma, Hotsackage and Donewith_
Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019
They typically check every 15 minutes on patients, some patients have to be watched in the restroom/shower also. I was in psych wards for a long time and never saw it happen because of the checks and the staff taking away anything a patient could harm themselves with. Usually when someone got caught trying they were given a sedative or strapped to the bed in the "quiet room".

I asked some of the nurses if they'd ever seen any suicides. After pestering them long enough, one told me a woman years prior had snuck in a knife/blade and they found her dead under the covers, bled out from her wrists and neck while the staff thought she was sleeping. The nurse said they started using only white blankets after that - to see any blood.

• Aww..
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Azzy69, Thanatos and 2 others
LogicalConclusion

LogicalConclusion

Experienced
Jun 2, 2019
Possible? Eh. Realistic? No.

I've been hospitalized over a couple dozen times and the only suicide I ever remember hearing about was in a residential facility I was at for 3mo, which occurred I think a year prior to my arriving there, and they have since closed for numerous reasons. I have not witnessed or heard of this happening in any other place I have been while I have been there. 15min checks are the usual, some people are on 5min checks or 1-to-1s if necessary. Most likely scenario is, if you manage to figure a way to attempt, they will find you and you will be watched even more and probably zombified by meds.

• Aww..
Reactions: Meditation guide, Lifeisatrap, Azzy69 and 1 other person
k3v3r

k3v3r

Apr 25, 2019
It is possible, but extremely difficult (depending on the level of security) I attempted it by tying 2 socks tightly around my neck and pretend i was sleeping. But you will probably get tremors and end up with brain damage

• Wow
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Azzy69, Thanatos and 1 other person
AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

A girl doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her
Jun 5, 2019
Well my mum said her friend managed, but that was in the 90's I think. They moved the psych ward off the fifth floor of the hospital after that...

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Azzy69 and andy69
Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019
Well my mum said her friend managed, but that was in the 90's I think. They moved the psych ward off the fifth floor of the hospital after that...
Indeed - the security measures are much more strict everywhere than back in the 90s. It'd be really difficult to impossible nowadays. People used to sneak in things, the staff was more relaxed and patients could even smoke outside on the patios. Now patients can't even have a jacket with strings, jewelry including wedding rings, personal hygiene products or an under-wire bra because they think a patient will manage to hurt themselves that way. Food used to be better, too.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Azzy69, ImSorryEmma and 1 other person
Ramirez

Ramirez

Criminally insane
Jun 10, 2019
I'm hospitalized in Germany right now after failing my attemp couple weeks ago. It's much less strict here. I got to keep my shoelaces and my belt and all.after couple days I was allowed to go outside alone. No cameras in the bathroom and noone checking them. Coulda hung myself the first night.

• Hugs
Reactions: L951788, 21Neberg, AtomicNewt and 2 others
Weems

Weems

Experienced
May 5, 2019
I was just in a psych ward and lemme tell ya, it's amazing the lengths they go to to prevent suicides. No doorknobs, no showerheads. You hang your towel on this little rubber nipple on the wall. No shoelaces, no FLOSS! Window blinds are encased in glass and operated by knob.

• Wow
Reactions: L951788, Lifeisatrap, Azzy69 and 4 others
Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019
I was just in a psych ward and lemme tell ya, it's amazing the lengths they go to to prevent suicides. No doorknobs, no showerheads. You hang your towel on this little rubber nipple on the wall. No shoelaces, no FLOSS! Window blinds are encased in glass and operated by knob.
I went last year and it was the same. The bathroom door was made of foam with a little string handle. Couldn't have a real pillow, it was more like a bean bag with plastic casing because "a patient could smother themselves with the pillow case". The shower and faucet dribbled water like a sprinkler and the sink/toilet were made of metal. Slept on a mat on a wooden bedframe. Couldn't use my own shampoo because they were worried patients would drink it. The craziest part is that psych ward is a "top notch" facility and costs nearly $2,500 per day. It was hell. There's no way someone could ctb in places like those.

I hope you're not feeling too horrible after going, very sorry to hear you were in one similar to the hospital here.

• Wow
  • Aww..
Reactions: Circles, Partial-Elf, Lifeisatrap and 2 others
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
At my local hospital. Around 3 people did it the past 3 years. The only method I heard of was someone hanged themselves with their shoelaces. I tried using a shower curtain lol

• Wow
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Azzy69, ImSorryEmma and 1 other person
ImSorryEmma

ImSorryEmma

Skylar
Mar 28, 2019
Yes as people mentioned cases of suicides in psych wards above but it is very difficult due to being monitored constantly and efforts to suicide-proofing the place as best as possible. Even if that point if you still want to CTB really badly then the best option is to plan a good escape and get out into the free world again and try again ASAP as possible as you will probably be hunted down as soon as they found out you escaped.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Lara Francis, Azzy69 and 1 other person
Yaalya

Yaalya

May 7, 2019
I recommend getting out as soon as possible. be good, take your medication, say your situation is getting better and better. it is much riskier to die in such a facility, they always have the opportunity to call an ambulance and in the clinic are also doctors. you do not want to be resuscitated.
they also do not want to have any deaths in their clinic, just think what a call they will have.

my grandfather ctb in a psych ward. He fell out of the window but it was in the 70s in the Soviet Union.

Reactions: Master Atsu, glk, Lifeisatrap and 2 others
Etherealdignity333

Etherealdignity333

Ad Astra
Jul 21, 2019
In most, yes. However, might I ask one to please not do this. The staff working on the day anything happens are going to get fucked.

One of the main things that pushed me over the edge was getting fired after a patient wrapped a cord around their neck while I was on shift. He had it wrapped around his neck for all of 10 seconds and was completely fine. I still got fired and reported to the Board of Nursing, and now can't find another job. These 10 seconds of acting out by another person completely ruined my life.

Now I'M going to CTB. I probably wouldn't have reached this point if I hadn't lost my job.

Butterfly effect.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: Querry1, ScorpiusDragon, painoflife and 4 others
Yoffi

Yoffi

I can't dance, I want to dance
Aug 8, 2019
While I don't have the first-hand experience with mental hospitals, I have heard multiple stories about one near me, and most of the stories were about people trying to ctb, and while the hospital exists for well over 100+ years, there was not a single successful suicide attempt, I suppose the nurses and caretakers were just too good or the patients didn't have good opportunities.
I guess it just differs a lot from hospital to hospital

One of the main things that pushed me over the edge was getting fired after a patient wrapped a cord around their neck while I was on shift. He had it wrapped around his neck for all of 10 seconds and was completely fine. I still got fired and reported to the Board of Nursing, and now can't find another job. These 10 seconds of acting out by another person completely ruined my life.
what a shitty way to get fucked over, I'm so sorry to hear that

Reactions: Notcutoutforlife, Etherealdignity333, Azzy69 and 1 other person
livingded

livingded

Aug 6, 2019
It doesnt happen all the time. I've read some rare cases but I'm not sure they were true. You are surrounded by other patients so others may call the nurses. The nurses check on you. You can self harm tho

Reactions: Azzy69
Azzy69

Azzy69

-
Aug 8, 2019
They typically check every 15 minutes on patients, some patients have to be watched in the restroom/shower also. I was in psych wards for a long time and never saw it happen because of the checks and the staff taking away anything a patient could harm themselves with. Usually when someone got caught trying they were given a sedative or strapped to the bed in the "quiet room".

I asked some of the nurses if they'd ever seen any suicides. After pestering them long enough, one told me a woman years prior had snuck in a knife/blade and they found her dead under the covers, bled out from her wrists and neck while the staff thought she was sleeping. The nurse said they started using only white blankets after that - to see any blood.
That reminds me, before I went into the hospital I had been drinking a few beers a night and i used to hide the bottles in my bag and I used that bag to take my stuff in and there was still a beer cap in there they didnt find haha
At my local hospital. Around 3 people did it the past 3 years. The only method I heard of was someone hanged themselves with their shoelaces. I tried using a shower curtain lol
how did they not find the shoelace
It doesnt happen all the time. I've read some rare cases but I'm not sure they were true. You are surrounded by other patients so others may call the nurses. The nurses check on you. You can self harm tho
Kinda off topic but is that eilish in your pfp? :P

Last edited:
Reactions: Halo13
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Probably possible, but difficult, based on my experience.

When I was committed after my detected, failed attempt to CtB, I ended up in one of the "nicer", privately run facilities in the US, (a dedicated floor in a hospital) and considered a high risk for finishing the job. My room was equipped with a camera and some low intensity red light at night so they could monitor me (think like a dark room... effing terrible, having the room bathed in blood-red light at night), and of course they took away the obvious ligatures like my belt and shoelaces.

Other people who weren't considered as high risk were put in rooms without the camera and blood-red light. Not super secure, either way. All the rooms had doors (which closed, but didn't lock), those standard, movable hospital beds with locking wheels that could be used to block the door, ceramic sinks and glass mirrors that could be shattered for a slicing implement.

During the daytime, all us unsuccessful suicide cases had the run of the floor and the staff kept an eye on us, and at night, they were *supposed* to do rounds every 15 minutes, but I clocked them, and they slacked off a bit, especially around shift change and late at night once they thought every one was sleeping. During their rounds, they made sure the doors to the room were open and just did a quick look from the hallway. Guess they would have seen anyone obviously bleeding out or obviously hanging themselves, but I doubt they would have noticed a ligature compression suicide under the sheets in time (and they didn't take our clothes, socks or underwear).

So, yeah, I saw a couple ways to go inside a psych ward, but nothing I can recommend. Most likely outcome seems to be that you'd be "saved" and in a much worse way than before - even if you don't end up brain damaged or otherwise seriously injured, an unsuccessful suicide attempt inside would definitely lead to a longer stay. I'll admit I was very, very tempted to try anyway (and I was only in a few days), but not a good idea.

• Aww..
Reactions: Halo13 and Lifeisatrap
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Yes as people mentioned cases of suicides in psych wards above but it is very difficult due to being monitored constantly and efforts to suicide-proofing the place as best as possible. Even if that point if you still want to CTB really badly then the best option is to plan a good escape and get out into the free world again and try again ASAP as possible as you will probably be hunted down as soon as they found out you escaped.
Very true

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Lifeisatrap
R

ron_g

Experienced
Nov 25, 2018
an unsuccessful suicide attempt inside would definitely lead to a longer stay.
This is one of psychiatry's many dirty secrets: Therapy "works" in the same way punishment works.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
This is one of psychiatry's many dirty secrets: Therapy "works" in the same way punishment works.

Enh. Psychiatry actually does work for some people. It has its problems, like everything else, but I actually think that's because of government more than anything else. It's not a psychiatrist who forced me into a psych ward, or prevents me from using pleasant chemicals to aleviate my pain, or who sends men with guns to hurt anyone who's willing to help someone else die peacefully... it's the government that does that.

If a psychiatrist ever actually said "you know what, you're right, there's nothing anyone can do for you, and the only way you're going to get any relief is to die", he'd end up having his license revoked, sued into bankruptcy and brought up on criminal charges when I end up offing myself (and it's the government that makes all those consequences possible).

Not that psychiatry has ever done me much good, but at the end of the day, they do try to help... they're just limited by reality, and a large number of thugs with guns restricting their options. I often wonder if there might have been a chance for me if the war on drugs hadn't prevented things like MDMA and psilocybin therapies or ketamine-based antidepressants from being used decades ago... or for that matter, self-medicating with opiates or THC or other recreational drugs... oh well.

Reactions: LittleBabyNothing, glk, AtomicNewt and 1 other person
InkBlot

InkBlot

What Do You See?
Sep 17, 2018
Every place Ive been, has a 3 day observation room that is designed for 1 person, and has cameras in every part of the room, bathroom included. After that point, you're released into a double room and other patients are rewarded for snitching on "unwanted behaviors." If you are lucky to be a single person in a double room, you get negative marks and checked in on every few minutes till you leave the room. Enough negative marks add days to your "stay". Most places count silverware, pens, pencils, etc. No shoelaces. Showers had people talking to you the entire duration, if you went more than 3 minutes without responding they'd come in.

You'd have to go to the same place twice, the first time considering all of your options, and then the second time doing it. It would be more feasible to just walk out in front of a bus after you leave your holding cell, I mean "treatment" center.

• Aww..
Reactions: AtomicNewt
Etherealdignity333

Etherealdignity333

Ad Astra
Jul 21, 2019
Every place Ive been, has a 3 day observation room that is designed for 1 person, and has cameras in every part of the room, bathroom included. After that point, you're released into a double room and other patients are rewarded for snitching on "unwanted behaviors." If you are lucky to be a single person in a double room, you get negative marks and checked in on every few minutes till you leave the room. Enough negative marks add days to your "stay". Most places count silverware, pens, pencils, etc. No shoelaces. Showers had people talking to you the entire duration, if you went more than 3 minutes without responding they'd come in.

You'd have to go to the same place twice, the first time considering all of your options, and then the second time doing it. It would be more feasible to just walk out in front of a bus after you leave your holding cell, I mean "treatment" center.
That's so crazy. I live in a state that funds mental health like it's still the dark ages and I wouldn't say inpatient suicides happen a lot, but they do happen more than you would expect. Usually hanging.

R

ron_g

Experienced
Nov 25, 2018
Enh. Psychiatry actually does work for some people. It has its problems, like everything else, but I actually think that's because of government more than anything else. It's not a psychiatrist who forced me into a psych ward, or prevents me from using pleasant chemicals to aleviate my pain, or who sends men with guns to hurt anyone who's willing to help someone else die peacefully... it's the government that does that.

If a psychiatrist ever actually said "you know what, you're right, there's nothing anyone can do for you, and the only way you're going to get any relief is to die", he'd end up having his license revoked, sued into bankruptcy and brought up on criminal charges when I end up offing myself (and it's the government that makes all those consequences possible).

Not that psychiatry has ever done me much good, but at the end of the day, they do try to help... they're just limited by reality, and a large number of thugs with guns restricting their options. I often wonder if there might have been a chance for me if the war on drugs hadn't prevented things like MDMA and psilocybin therapies or ketamine-based antidepressants from being used decades ago... or for that matter, self-medicating with opiates or THC or other recreational drugs... oh well.
Why does the government do that? Why do these laws and legal practices exist? Is it not that, originally, psychiatrists said that suicidality was a psychiatric problem? Who requires psychiatrists to write in their textbooks that suicidals (almost) always need psychiatric treatment? Shouldn't the American Psychiatric Association publish an article stating that, unless a person is clearly irrational, suicidality is not a psychiatric or medical problem, and, at the very least, no coercion should be exercised, referring to the principle of self-ownership? I've never heard of such a publication. Don't psychiatrists provide expert opinions to the court?

Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019
That's a bit overdramatic and unrealistic - hunting someone down after an escape to the free world. Psychiatric hospitals are not like the old fashioned sanitariums. The concept of being admitted is to stabilize the patient during their crisis and often, begin or tinker with medications/therapy/groups/coping skills as their condition stabilises. The length of time in a ward can range from 72 hours to ~21 days in most cases.

Having spent 3 years of my life in those places, it is better to wait it out. If the staff and doctor really believe your condition is improving, your discharge can be as early as 3-7 days and legally a patient can sign paperwork to be discharged Against Medical Advice within 24 hours, though they'll try to talk people out of it. Planning an escape is not realistic and if someone managed it, they would find them and then the patient would end up in a high risk ward, likely with a court order to not be released anytime soon. Additionally, if a patient is caught with any harmful materials, it'll end up extending the length of time. (Usually while the patients are in therapy, visiting the psychiatrist or eating, etc the staff is searching your room for anything "dangerous".)

It simply is best to go along with the staff's wishes, get released then try again. Ctb is hard enough without the complications of trying it in a psych ward. Attempting ctb or escape isn't worth getting a tranquilizer shot in the ass then strapped to a bed with a camera watching when it's easier to just wait out a week or two. I understand fully the desperation of being locked up there but it gives someone nothing but time to create an efficient ctb upon the release date. (And some of the other patients have tips, too :wink:)

Very well said. I've thought of Ketamine and MDMA treatments, also. Would've helped me if it were available twenty years ago, that's for sure. You hit the nail on the head about the government and psych doctors, also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Circles and Lookingforabus
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Why does the government do that? Why do these laws and legal practices exist? Is it not that, originally, psychiatrists said that suicidality was a psychiatric problem? Who requires psychiatrists to write in their textbooks that suicidals (almost) always need psychiatric treatment? Shouldn't the American Psychiatric Association publish an article stating that, unless a person is clearly irrational, suicidality is not a psychiatric or medical problem, and, at the very least, no coercion should be exercised, referring to the principle of self-ownership? I've never heard of such a publication. Don't psychiatrists provide expert opinions to the court?

Psychiatry has its problems, yes, but it's government that mandates those opinions be backed by coercive force. Psychiatrists can't write that suicidal people shouldn't be forced to live (and not get treated against their will) because the government has passed laws that say the opposite, and controls the licensing of medical professionals. If psychiatrists stand up and say otherwise, they lose their licenses, and risk jail time. And there's the self-selection effect, too... if you have to think that suicide is always wrong and a result of mental illness to get government permission to practice psychiatry, well, then all psychiatrists are going to start out with that opinion. (One of the reasons homosexuality was considered a psychiatric disorder for so long - you need a medical license to practice psychiatry, and you won't get one by disagreeing with the law that says homosexuality is a crime, or encouraging suicide is a crime, etc.)

Take government out of it, and so what if some guy with a medical degree thinks suicide is a mental illness? Nothing he can do about it, except try to help people who want help.

And, frankly, psychiatry is probably right about that, in the vast majority of cases. I know it's true in my case - without my major depressive disorder, I doubt I'd be suicidal, and I sure wish it could be treated effectively. I've known many people who were suicidal and even attempted suicide seriously as a result of a major depressive disorder, who are now normal and happy, because a psychiatrist and some anti depressants were able to help them. Nothing wrong with that. The immoral part is the cops forcing people into mental institutions for attempting suicide, and government mandating that medical professionals keep them confined there until they're no longer a they to themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocksandsand and Halo13
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
While there are stories of people having successfully CTB'd in a mental hospital, it is incredibly difficult due to the amount of security and monitoring that they do (more so if they know the patient is a greater risk of CTB'ing). So while it is possible, it is so difficult that it would make CTB'ing outside that environment seem like a cake walk in comparison to the hospital. In short, if I were ever in a mental hospital, my objective is to GTFO as quickly as possible rather than attempting to CTB in one.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and Lookingforabus
LMLN

LMLN

Paragon
Aug 10, 2019
Very difficult I would think. And a big risk of getting caught and ending up staying longer.

Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
I read a lot about people being strapped to beds, is that seriously a thing? I thought it was something only done in movies? What about human rights, what about bathroom trips, food etc? How the hell does all that work?

J

Jessica5

Specialist
May 22, 2019
I read a lot about people being strapped to beds, is that seriously a thing? I thought it was something only done in movies? What about human rights, what about bathroom trips, food etc? How the hell does all that work?

I question if half the posters who talk about their stays in a mental hospital have actually been in a mental hospital. (Let alone if the stories about their stay are true.)

With that being said, I'm sure mental hospitals are hell.

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019

That's more reserved for people who are a threat to others, the kind of patients who attack others at every chance they get. If they think you're *that* big a threat to yourself, the most they'll generally do is take away absolutely anything that you could use to kill yourself - clothes that can be torn, sheets, pillowcases, even pillows, maybe even give you the padded room treatment - and keep eyes on you 24/7.

That being said, some less developed countries would probably be happy to strap someone to a bed rather than deal with all that hassle... but even then it seems unlikely. Seems like it would be much easier to just turn suicidal people lose and let them kill themselves, if mental health resources are really that poor, and the authorities really care that little about their subjects. <shrug>. I suppose it's at least possible, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtomicNewt