S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
I just can't live with my parents anymore. they have always been the biggest source of my misery. I'm currently in my first year of college as a 20 year old and I feel sick at the thought of having to live with them until i'm 24 at least. I'm really not smart enough/ I don't have the attention span to finish my degree or any degree that will get me a good career either.

I'm a simple guy without many ambitions and all I need to be happy is my own apartment, food, water, electricity and to be able to afford some nice things like a gym membership and video games. I really don't think I need more. I don't want to get married or have kids, so what could I do to be able to afford to live on my own?
I don't really want to work in McDonald's for the rest of my life. Someone on 4chan told me that being a security guard is an alright job. Should I look into that?
I live in the UK btw.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Crazy4u, Ethereal Knight, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
You could apply for trades school or civil service jobs. Honestly I think you should stick it out with school, the quickest way to getting done and with a decent paying job is community college and an associates in medical field-nursing, ultrasound tech, x ray tech, stable career good paying and probably rewarding. Plus you can move anywhere with these degrees and instantly find work.

Reactions: Crazy4u, not-2-b-the-answer and SadLoser
S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
You could apply for trades school or civil service jobs. Honestly I think you should stick it out with school, the quickest way to getting done and with a decent paying job is community college and an associates in medical field-nursing, ultrasound tech, x ray tech, stable career good paying and probably rewarding. Plus you can move anywhere with these degrees and instantly find work.
I don't think i'd be good enough for trade school or anything medicine-related either. Right now I just want to be comfortable for a bit and get my shit together first. I need to move out and get a job ASAP.

Death_of_a_Phynixx

Death_of_a_Phynixx

09/22/90-2022
Jan 31, 2022
I just can't live with my parents anymore. they have always been the biggest source of my misery. I'm currently in my first year of college as a 20 year old and I feel sick at the thought of having to live with them until i'm 24 at least. I'm really not smart enough/ I don't have the attention span to finish my degree or any degree that will get me a good career.

I'm a simple guy without many ambitions and all I need to be happy is my own apartment, food, water, electricity and to be able to afford some nice things like a gym membership and video games. I really don't think I need more. I don't want to get married or have kids, so what could I do to be able to afford to live on my own?
I don't really want to work in McDonald's for the rest of my life. Someone on 4chan told me that being a security guard is an alright job. Should I look into that?
Hi there, we are very similar when it comes to not desiring to get married and have children. That is not something I want to do either, not even in the slightest. It should be fairly easy for you to obtain the desires that you do currently have though, because you just want to obtain the simple things in your life. Desiring simple things will open up very simple and clear routes to your acquiring these things, so this is a great attribute to have. In my opinion, no being requires a degree or any other man-made piece of paper to live well. There are beings in this realm/world who didn't even complete high school, yet they have a home, car, etc. I think that all that is required to obtain whatever it is that one desires, is a certain mindset, and then the paths will open up from there. When it comes to having a security occupation, I think that you should only proceed with this pursuit if it is what you really want to do, and not out of mere desperation. You could figure out what you would really like to do in order to feel and gain those simple accomplishments that you desire. Also, try not to be so hard on yourself about your intellectual value, I'm sure you would be the best fit for something! Everyone is special and worthy of something great (including you), regardless of intellectual abilities. I send infinite love and hugs to you!

WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
I don't think i'd be good enough for trade school or anything medicine-related either. Right now I just want to be comfortable for a bit and get my shit together first. I need to move out and get a job ASAP.
Depends where you live then, I'm sure some places you can live on your own on minimum wage, but most places you'll probably need at least 1 roommate

G

Grey-zoner

Dec 17, 2021
I'm 31, and find myself asking the same question (although I've lived with my gf before).

(Interesting we're asking ourselves questions about more or less basic shelter while living in the first world.)

If you're absolutely committed, you could look into van-life, or tiny homes, or some other unconventional option--these would be generally much cheaper, but more difficult, and require a steep learning curve. Otherwise, room-mates--maybe find a pleasant older person to live with, or a room-mate through work, school, someone with common interests. I don't live in the UK, but I can't imagine it's much better than the US.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ethereal Knight
Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
this is tough. I'm a NEET so I can't say much but I empathize and relate lot with your situation.

have you considered learning Python? it's a programming language. you can work from home and earn good money. it takes time to learn it obviously, but you can consider your effort as an investment.

talk to a lot of people (in person and podcasts/videos/books), especially those who had success and try to learn with them.
people usually say that "Think And Grow Rich" and "The Law of Success" by Napoleon Hill are great books.

and yes it will take time. as always, the fastest road may not be the best in the long run. I'd probably avoid shortcuts.

but again, I'm a NEET so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

alternatively you can learn the "Grey Rock" Technique for dealing with narcisists. it's a form of minimal contact and emotional detachment. people use it to make living with "hard people" more bearable. you can search about it on duckduckgo or youtube, here's a link to the Out Of The Fog website so you have an idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
this is tough. I'm a NEET so I can't say much but I empathize and relate lot with your situation.

have you considered learning Python? it's a programming language. you can work from home and earn good money. it takes time to learn it obviously, but you can consider your effort as an investment.

talk to a lot of people (in person and podcasts/videos/books), especially those who had success and try to learn with them.
people usually say that "Think And Grow Rich" and "The Law of Success" by Napoleon Hill are great books.

and yes it will take time. as always, the fastest road may not be the best in the long run. I'd probably avoid shortcuts.

but again, I'm a NEET so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
I'm actually studying programming in college, i'm almost done with first year. I enjoy programming itself, just not really being in college. I feel trapped just like I was in highschool. If I dropped out I would continue learning it, but i'm not sure you can have many career prospects without a degree?

Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
i'm not sure you can have many career prospects without a degree?
yes man, you definitely can! like for sure! maybe you just need to be good at it and know how to sell your fish. for example, there are countless videos on youtube teaching people how to start as a freelancer in freelancing websites. overtime you get experience, you can build your website, you'll be more known etc. if you're in doubt, just research and check if people have done this before. as far as I'm aware, many have.

edit: that's what some close person suggested to me, actually. I've been NEET for half a decade now, my english is decent and I have access to high-speed internet, so he said I could simply learn Python and earn easy money from home without working too much.
it's actually not bad idea.
it's still work, gotta be determined to really learn and get shit done, but it's better than Mc Donalds and certainly better than dealing with humans in person.

Last edited:
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I didn't finish high school, never had help and am now most of the way to owning my own home despite the usual grievances of PTSD, autism, no decent family, no support, etc. The catch is that I'm burned-out and don't even remember what it is all for.

The three elements to my strategy were getting jobs requiring minimal education (in my case, driving in the public transport industry and truck driving), seeking out the best balance of cheap-but-livable homes to buy and living extremely cheaply whilst paying off the house ASAP. Costs of living have risen here in the meantime, though, making this harder if starting now.

I also like to invest in things that improve efficiency, like solar panels, and ride a bike to work; most people don't appreciate how much of their hard-earned is wasted on fossil fuels.

All in all, it reads like a tale of raw survival, but I don't know if this is really what life is about.

Reactions: Ethereal Knight