Theregoesthatidea

Theregoesthatidea

ಥ﹏ಥ
Jul 7, 2020
Let me elaborate

When i remember traumatizing/embarassing things i've done, or i think of something intrusive and or innapropriate in public or at a bad time, i have the need to physically yell or wave my arms around to take my brains's attention away from that thought. Im really afraid this is an autism spectrum thing, because i pride myself on being sort of "high functioning" in that i can handle emotions and social situations easily.

Does anyone else here do this? How have you handled it? What do you all think i shoud do to make this process of stopping these urges easier?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Pineapplecrown, Deleted member 17331, mediocre and 3 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Let me elaborate

When i remember traumatizing/embarassing things i've done, or i think of something intrusive and or innapropriate in public or at a bad time, i have the need to physically yell or wave my arms around to take my brains's attention away from that thought. Im really afraid this is an autism spectrum thing, because i pride myself on being sort of "high functioning" in that i can handle emotions and social situations easily.

Does anyone else here do this? How have you handled it? What do you all think i shoud do to make this process of stopping these urges easier?
Well I wouldn't say it's normal to physically do such a thing. If it makes you feel any better though I mentally yell at myself for such thoughts sometimes. What is normal anyways, and who the hell decides what is and isn't?

Sometimes it's good to be different. I just wouldn't do something like that while on the job or in a vulnerable situation. Otherwise who cares, do whatever makes you happy.

Reactions: Pineapplecrown, Deleted member 17331, ocd is bad and 2 others
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
There's nothing wrong with it especially with how hard it is to keep it all in. I usually yell by cussing out loud or if I want to be tamed I'll yell to myself 'Not today, Go away' over and over again. And I don't know how to control it or what can help exactly besides life not being such a grind and atleast more tolerable. Hope things subside somehow.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pineapplecrown, Deleted member 17331, pickajack and 3 others
pickajack

pickajack

Student
Jul 17, 2020
Hi @Theregoesthatidea
This was happening to me regularly for a few months when I was super low. For me, it was not a yell, just involuntary saying "No!" Or "Shh". Like for you, it happened when traumatizing/disturbing memories and thoughts surfaced.

I've started (slowly) engaging with other, exercising and generally feeling more hopeful and it HAS abated thankfully, although it still happens occasionally. Hope you are able to move past it in time too. Good luck!
Hi @Theregoesthatidea
This was happening to me regularly for a few months when I was super low. For me, it was not a yell, just involuntary saying "No!" Or "Shh". Like for you, it happened when traumatizing/disturbing memories and thoughts surfaced.

I've started (slowly) engaging with other, exercising and generally feeling more hopeful and it HAS abated thankfully, although it still happens occasionally. Hope you are able to move past it in time too. Good luck!
Update after some reflection: for me triggers were not necessarily memories of typical traumatic events, more crushing self punishing thoughts over past mistakes.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I do this all the time! Especially when remembering cringy or traumatic moments. I do have Asperger's syndrome which is a form of autism but I don't know if it's related to that or not.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331