suicidepanda

suicidepanda

delightfully dreadful
Sep 25, 2023
Hi! i just joined this forum. I'd like to kick things off with a question I've had hovering in my mind for awhile. Is it morally okay to romanticize and or feel extremely comforted by the idea of suicide?

let me delve deeper into what I personally mean by this question, for anyone who's prepared to read.

Sometimes, I'm not sure why, maybe it's related to the state of my mind, but I often find myself romanticizing the idea of suicide. And it doesn't stop there. I find myself re-entering reality after long dissociative episodes sitting in front of my notebook with drawings depicting CTB, S/H, S/A, and OD. It's not that I find any of these things cute or funny or see it in a lighthearted way, but I do find it beautiful and fascinating, in a way. I find my own brain fascinating. My own thoughts and feelings and words. And I find a sense of comfort in CTB, I find love and happiness and joy, when really… people make it out to be sadness, anger, angst, anxiety, depression… why do I see it this way? am I just seeing CTB as a release to all my problems, or is there an underlying indication of.. some kind of weird special interest in death?

to make this feel shorter, I just want to plainly explain that I fantasize about CTB all the time. I fantasize about it being the perfect act…

is this morally okay? Is it okay to be in love with the idea of suicide, or are my thoughts and actions unjust?

• Love
Reactions: bridgegirl, Need Peace, HAL 9000 and 4 others
Raskolnikov's Axe

Raskolnikov's Axe

Aug 31, 2022
Morals schmorals.

Reactions: WonderingSoul, azumangadaioh, floralheaddress and 6 others
Raskolnikov's Axe

Raskolnikov's Axe

Aug 31, 2022
haha, I'm just trying to get a feel of the community. I figured most people wouldn't care. maybe I come across as too cautious
I mean, morally okay? Does a child in Somalia die every time you do it?

If you're religious and subscribe to that theological and moral framework it might be, but from a purely moral standpoint I can't think of any argument why it might be.

Also welcome to the community, check out the recovery forum first and foremost and if you already haven't, there's a really great website here : https://lostallhope.com/

Reactions: Blahblahlah, SVEN, anhedonicNfoggy and 1 other person
Jealous Blackheart

Jealous Blackheart

A Well Read Demon
Aug 25, 2023
Short answer: yes, it's perfectly normal.

In Japan, suicide was seen as honorable. Seppuku.
In many cultures, dying in war was the only honorable death. It was the only way to see the afterlife, to enter valhalla.
The entire concept of an honorable death is something that has become foreign to modern culture. Now, virtually all death, except the death of the criminal element, is seen as something that is negative and needs to be averted. Death is a part of life. It's the last page of a novel. It's something that ought to be celebrated

You are not the only person to have thought this throughout history. By looking back through time you will find many like minded individuals if you care to look.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: sorrowful, Rogue Proxy, LonelyKitten and 5 others
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
Short answer: yes, it's perfectly normal.

In Japan, suicide was seen as honorable. Seppuku.
In many cultures, dying in war was the only honorable death. It was the only way to see the afterlife, to enter valhalla.
The entire concept of an honorable death is something that has become foreign to modern culture. Now, virtually all death, except the death of the criminal element, is seen as something that is negative and needs to be averted. Death is a part of life. It's the last page of a novel. It's something that ought to be celebrated

You are not the only person to have thought this throughout history. By looking back through time you will find many like minded individuals if you care to look.
Indeed. In ancient Greece and Rome suicide held no dishonor.

• Informative
Reactions: Jealous Blackheart, SexyIncél and suicidepanda
SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
It's your life. And your mind's your private universe to explore anything — no matter how transgressive

• Love
Reactions: HAL 9000, Jealous Blackheart, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
There is no objective morality nor objective meaning to life . What will matter in 200 years? nothing . In 1000 years? nothing. in a trillion years? To me only extreme pain and extreme suffering are real . And also just pain and suffering are real. Suicide for me would avoid pain and suffering for me and so is morally ok to me and is the goal for me . .

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Prime0, SamTam33, Rogue Proxy and 3 others
M

matter_of_time

Aug 16, 2023
I think depression is a sicknesses like every other. When someone with terminal cancer, someone who has tried everything to get better but there's nothing to do anymore, someone who's body is giving up and can't handle the pain wishes for death, it's so acceptable, nobody finds it morally wrong - there's family movies about it even. People perceive it as a final rest, the end of the pain, "this poor person is going to find peace"
With mental illness it's different because it's hard to tell when nothing can be done, when death is the last resource.
I don't think it's romanticizing death, I think that's what it is sometimes. It's not morally wrong, it's just a resource for a illness

Reactions: anhedonicNfoggy
Is0lated

Is0lated

2024/2025 Livestream
May 29, 2023
Hi! i just joined this forum. I'd like to kick things off with a question I've had hovering in my mind for awhile. Is it morally okay to romanticize and or feel extremely comforted by the idea of suicide?

let me delve deeper into what I personally mean by this question, for anyone who's prepared to read.

Sometimes, I'm not sure why, maybe it's related to the state of my mind, but I often find myself romanticizing the idea of suicide. And it doesn't stop there. I find myself re-entering reality after long dissociative episodes sitting in front of my notebook with drawings depicting CTB, S/H, S/A, and OD. It's not that I find any of these things cute or funny or see it in a lighthearted way, but I do find it beautiful and fascinating, in a way. I find my own brain fascinating. My own thoughts and feelings and words. And I find a sense of comfort in CTB, I find love and happiness and joy, when really… people make it out to be sadness, anger, angst, anxiety, depression… why do I see it this way? am I just seeing CTB as a release to all my problems, or is there an underlying indication of.. some kind of weird special interest in death?

to make this feel shorter, I just want to plainly explain that I fantasize about CTB all the time. I fantasize about it being the perfect act…

is this morally okay? Is it okay to be in love with the idea of suicide, or are my thoughts and actions unjust?
I thought I was the only one that romanticized suicide and loved it this way so I honestly avoided talking about my opinion.

Reactions: bridgegirl
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019

I'm in love with my suicide and my death because these will achieve me non-existence forever, prevent all future pain and solve all my problems instantly and forever

Last edited:
Reactions: SamTam33 and Rogue Proxy
HAL 9000

HAL 9000

Heading toward Jupiter
Aug 3, 2023
I think so long as these thoughts aren't projected onto others then it's more than fine to revere The Infinite. You are simply acknowledging how all encompassing and peaceful Death is. You need permission from no one to venerate such an important aspect of Nature.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy and suicidepanda
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
To me it makes so much sense finding comfort in death, I don't understand how wanting true peace from suffering could ever be something wrong, suicide is all that feels right to me and in my case I see wanting to die as being the only rational response to being trapped in this cruel and meaningless existence, there's nothing desirable about existing.

The thing that is insane to me is when people worship this disgusting and harmful existence, labelling those who want to leave as being "ill" despite the fact that nobody can suffer from not existing, to me death means peace, I see so much beauty in the thought of eternal sleep.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy, Meditation guide and suicidepanda
N

Need Peace

Sep 25, 2023
I think it's natural to feel this way for some of us. I fantasize about it a lot. I don't think I'm ready to CBT just yet though. My depression has gotten so bad that I'm tortured by my thoughts all the time. Sometimes my only reprieve is fantasizing about it. I can focus and I get real calm when I think about it. It's comforting to me to know that I have an exit button.

• Love
Reactions: suicidepanda
lwlaiet8887

lwlaiet8887

Embodiment of failure/Doom poster/Compassionate
Sep 14, 2023
Yes, you have no choice in your life. I actually think it's very honorable/brave/testifying for one to do what many fear. Your life belongs to you no one else. There's nothing immoral about CBT.

• Hugs
Reactions: Prime0, Rogue Proxy, Jealous Blackheart and 1 other person
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020

Thinking about dying is the only comfort I have and I'm sure others here are like me.

Reactions: Jealous Blackheart, samsara_96 and suicidepanda
S

samsara_96

Sep 27, 2022
My suicidal thoughts have been with me for a while now but last year in September my thoughts have intensified greatly. Before that, my life had a telos irrespective of my will to die and I wanted accomplish a few things before I left the world. However, last year I lost my desire to achieve my telos and I didn't know how to continue living. I stumbled upon this site and learned about SN. I purchased it two weeks after and never in my life did I feel that good. I can't even describe with words the feeling of freedom and joy that I felt with that purchase. I originally wanted to use it in November, 2022 but my mom kept calling me on the day that I wanted to use it, as if she knew something was up. Later I had to throw my SN away since my family came to visit my house and I didn't want to get treatment for a non-existent disease.

Long story short, death becomes comforting for those who find it challenging to stay alive. Just like how al-Ghazali mentions that he cannot go back to what he once was before his skepticism because the door of fear could only be used once, misery happens only once and it lingers on. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing. If those who made life miserable for us are not considered morally corrupt, then us, who had no chance but to make peace with death, should not be considered morally corrupt. In addition, I believe that those who find comfort in dying have a deeper understanding of the balance between life and death. Life can only coexist with death, without death there is not life but a never-ending causality that is worse than nothingness or the contingency that we appear to exist within.

Lastly, my acquaintances are currently reduced to a state of panic about the increased chances of an environmental catastrophe, a new world war, complete economic failure, fall of neoliberalism, a new deadly disease etc. I am the only one who is not panicking because I believe that I properly made peace with death and I see death as a reward to end misery instead of seeing it as a form of misery. Hence, this is another advantage of finding comfort in death.

bridgegirl

bridgegirl

life on the edge, I guess
Oct 16, 2023
I thought I was the only one that romanticized suicide and loved it this way so I honestly avoided talking about my opinion.
You guys are for sure not alone.

kilowatt

kilowatt

Guns don't kill people I kill people
Sep 9, 2023
I just find it incredibly comforting. Suicide feels like closure to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Prime0 and sad_rock